Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Cycling

Please use this for any other hobbies, we'll create dedicated forums on popular subjects
Gonzovision
Verified Username

Re: Cycling

Post by Gonzovision »

Have a new Hybrid coming from Giant. Haven't had a bike in years, but an ankle injury has dictated I won't be running for a while yet.
Memento Mori

Post by Memento Mori »

I totally stopped cycling with the first lockdown and never got back on, have lost all my fitness. I have an ebike, so may use that to ease myself back into it, otherwise I'll collapse in a heap after the first hill.
Fratello
Verified Username

Post by Fratello »

I would like a cycling forum. I have a collection of bikes. Some good but none really good. I have a racing/touring tricycle as well.
I need professional help discussing how I might downsize the collection as I can't get into the shed. I usually make up bikes from frames and parts. I tend to build wheels as well which gives more options.

I really like the combination if man and machine and the various options. The bike industry is full of BS which is why rear wheels have 12 and 13 sprockets now.

You have to get out there and enjoy them.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I was someone that didn't get on a bike in about 20 years. Then a friend suggested a few years ago of trying the Ballyhouras. One or three spins up there and I bit the bullet and bought a mountain bike. Loved it even if the brown took almost 3 hours.

As I was over an hour from the Ballyhouras, I would only be able to head up the weekend. So I started to use the MTB on the roads at home after work. That got boring real quick so I bought a reasonableTrek Hybrid.

So, here I am a few years later, still with the two same bikes (Trek MTB & Trek Hybrid). The MTB doesn't come out that much by comparison but I do like the cross country exploring rather than the Coillte bike trails. The hybrid has been modified with cyclecross wheels and tyres due to my breaking wheels (using it on gravel paths also!). An OK spin for me would now be from Killarney to Molls Gap via Gap of Dongloe & Black Valley. A few years ago I'd die at the thought of even trying that!

It's a poor week if I done get three hours on the bike now. You don't need the latest and greatest gear, you need to pedal at your own speed (and I'm slow by comparison)
Hodors Appletart
Verified Username

Post by Hodors Appletart »

we became a "bike family" about a year ago, got bikes for ourselves via the B2W and just got the kid a bike for himself, his growth pattern means almost a new bike every 18 months for him, so not going mad on the spending there.

I got a Cube road bike which I love

also got a Buzzrack which is proving.....difficult, it wrecked the boot on my Avensis, seems to be better suited to a hatchback

this one

http://buzzrack.com/galleries/mozzquito-3-trunk-rack/
Hold The Door
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Hodors Appletart wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:32 am
also got a Buzzrack which is proving.....difficult, it wrecked the boot on my Avensis, seems to be better suited to a hatchback

this one

http://buzzrack.com/galleries/mozzquito-3-trunk-rack/
I use a Thule roof rack. I looked at the rear mounted bike carriers but two things turned me off them. One was potential damage to the car and two was the bikes can be wider than the car. I don't like the wheels sticking out beyond the sides of the car.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

So whats the budget I should be setting a side for a good strong bike for a 15 stone 6 footer. I currently use the sons Merida.
Very strong machine, but being a roadbike its not always suitable for the cinders covered greenways.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

How Soon Is Now wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:25 pm I'm not sure where your living but because of the lack of stock around at the minute id say it's not a bad idea to go down to a few bike shops get on some bikes try them out get feel for them. Get someone in there to check what size you need etc.

I spent all last year cycling a large framed hybrid I picked up in Decathlon. Grand bike got me around and on plenty of long journeys but it was starting to kill my knees and arms because I needed a bigger frame and didn't know! I'm on an XL now much better along with the bike in general being much better.
Yeah I found that too when I did an impulse purchase at the start of lockdowns, just to get a bike. After a while it broke my heart, it was smaller than it should have been for me.
The sons Merida was a different animal, although it could do with a handlebar riser for a bit more comefort.
But I am happy to do 20+ km a day when the sun is shining, and I'm 66, so size wise its good for me for comefort.

But would like a mountain bike, as I would say its better suited when I want to do greenways with cinders as opposed to tarmac.

Location is bang in the midlands, equidistant from Mullingar, Tullamore, Athlone.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

On the road bike, It was only after I realised how hard the tyres should be, did the punctures stop.

Every time I took it out, I was fixing a puncture when I came home :D
65+PSI later all was good :)
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I was surprised how addictive cycling is. I look for any opportunity to get out now.
Regardless of the weather. Its mad.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

As someone with both a hardtail mountain bike and a hybrid, for the likes of Greenway, etc get a hybrid and go modifying via changing tyres to cyclecross tyres. I've done some of the canal greenways on both bikes and I'd grab the hybrid every time for that sort of cycling. The hybrid is much lighter and more efficient. The cyclecross tyres give plenty of grip for greenways. They are a bit fatter tyres also so give a nice bit of comfort for that sort of cycling. You don't need the massive threads of mountain bike tyres on greenways.

I've a Trek FX3 (not a very expensive bike) and I've cyclecross tyres on it. They are a bit fatter than hybrid tyres and run at a lower pressure. That's what I'd be using and 60km on that bike is more than achievable. Also, some hybrids have a small bit of front suspension. Have a look at them.

Don't forget that there are LOADS of different types of mountain bikes, cross country, all mountain, downhill, etc. Then there are full suspension and hardtail. The suspension travel can be from 80mm to 180mm plus. While you may think a full suspension bike would be nice and comfortable to cycle, it takes a LOT more energy than a bike with no suspension. Also, the fatter tyres of a mountain bike takes a lot more energy to push along. I could be 5 to 8kph slower on the same piece of road on the mountain bike (at 50psi tyre pressure) compared to the hybrid.

Then again, I am a bit of a sucker for punishment as I go around the Ballyhouras Mountain bike trails on a hardtail mountain bike (front suspension only). I've taken the hybrid down some forest tracks also so a bit of rough ground doesn't bother me too much. That's why I've mountain bike flat pedals on the hybrid also (to keep the feet anchored when going off road)
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

kadman wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:29 pm I was surprised how addictive cycling is. I look for any opportunity to get out now.
Regardless of the weather. Its mad.
I'm the same. I try to get out 4 to 5 times a week even if it's for an hour. I've not been on the bike for 2 days and I'm missing it. I've the garden to be cut first....

The one thing I hate is wind though......
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:39 pm As someone with both a hardtail mountain bike and a hybrid, for the likes of Greenway, etc get a hybrid and go modifying via changing tyres to cyclecross tyres. I've done some of the canal greenways on both bikes and I'd grab the hybrid every time for that sort of cycling. The hybrid is much lighter and more efficient. The cyclecross tyres give plenty of grip for greenways. They are a bit fatter tyres also so give a nice bit of comfort for that sort of cycling. You don't need the massive threads of mountain bike tyres on greenways.

I've a Trek FX3 (not a very expensive bike) and I've cyclecross tyres on it. They are a bit fatter than hybrid tyres and run at a lower pressure. That's what I'd be using and 60km on that bike is more than achievable. Also, some hybrids have a small bit of front suspension. Have a look at them.

Don't forget that there are LOADS of different types of mountain bikes, cross country, all mountain, downhill, etc. Then there are full suspension and hardtail. The suspension travel can be from 80mm to 180mm plus. While you may think a full suspension bike would be nice and comfortable to cycle, it takes a LOT more energy than a bike with no suspension. Also, the fatter tyres of a mountain bike takes a lot more energy to push along. I could be 5 to 8kph slower on the same piece of road on the mountain bike (at 50psi tyre pressure) compared to the hybrid.

Then again, I am a bit of a sucker for punishment as I go around the Ballyhouras Mountain bike trails on a hardtail mountain bike (front suspension only). I've taken the hybrid down some forest tracks also so a bit of rough ground doesn't bother me too much. That's why I've mountain bike flat pedals on the hybrid also (to keep the feet anchored when going off road)
Aw sure listen, you got the Ballyhouras man......I'd crawl around them on all fours. I used to live for a few years as a youth in Liscarrol, and went to the tech in Mallow.
Countryside down there is terrific.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Just had a great 2 hours on a borrowed mountain bike. Softer ride than the roadbike, enjoyed it.

But I notice on changing gear, that changed from the larger cogs on the back wheel down to the smaller one,
and then off the small one, and into the frame. So I assume the rear de railer needs adjusting to stop this.

So can someone point me to the best source of info for adjusting this. Thanks
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

If I understand you correctly, sounds like the upper limit screw on the derailleur needs tweaking. As there are so many types, YouTube and Google are your friends there.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Thas what I thought, that an adjustment screw is allowing it to move just a tad too far to one side.Thanks
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Found what I am looking for,
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Adjusted the rear de railer as per vid. Cleaned and lubed the gear cluster, and de railer and chain. Adjusted the rear brake, and went off for a 20 k cycle.
Bike and gear set up performed great, and no problems at all. Went through plenty of gear changes to test them out, and all is good.

Next job is to check,clean and setup the front de railer, and front brakes. Then check and adjust front and rear axle play, and finally the head bearing.
Fratello
Verified Username

Post by Fratello »

If your axles are quick release, keep in mind the lever mechanism sqeezes the bearings. In practice a wheel bearing on a qr wheel can be subject to excessive pre load if this is not taken into account.
To check, place a couple of nuts wider than the axle dia on the wheel axle, to represent the frame, and then attach the qr lever and close. Check the axle by rotating in your fingers. It's suprising the difference closing the qr lever makes.

With regular old style threaded axles you don't need to consider the above.

No bother to you who made new panels for a rusty type 3 VW!
Gonzovision
Verified Username

Post by Gonzovision »

Going to collect my bike today after quite the wait. Looking forward to it, haven't been on a roadbike in about 20 years.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Fratello wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:45 am If your axles are quick release, keep in mind the lever mechanism sqeezes the bearings. In practice a wheel bearing on a qr wheel can be subject to excessive pre load if this is not taken into account.
To check, place a couple of nuts wider than the axle dia on the wheel axle, to represent the frame, and then attach the qr lever and close. Check the axle by rotating in your fingers. It's suprising the difference closing the qr lever makes.

With regular old style threaded axles you don't need to consider the above.

No bother to you who made new panels for a rusty type 3 VW!

Guilty as charged, I did indeed make those panels for the 73 fastback.. If you liked that resto, there may be another one starting here for
the 67 Variant.

On the bike, there is a wee bit of play on both axles, as would be needed obviously. But when I clean and grease them,
I'll check them again ;) after fitting to the bike.
FionnK86fromboards

Post by FionnK86fromboards »

Morning folks,

I’m going to start cycling to work. Moved into apartment about 4km away and it has a decent bike shed so will start with cycle to work scheme.

I want something cheap so if it gets stolen I’m not too upset. It should be light enough, but I’ve heard racing bikes can be prone to punctures, so perhaps a road bike is better suited to my needs?

Money wise €500 might be good? Any ideas?
Memento Mori

Post by Memento Mori »

FionnK86fromboards wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:19 am Morning folks,

I’m going to start cycling to work. Moved into apartment about 4km away and it has a decent bike shed so will start with cycle to work scheme.

I want something cheap so if it gets stolen I’m not too upset. It should be light enough, but I’ve heard racing bikes can be prone to punctures, so perhaps a road bike is better suited to my needs?

Money wise €500 might be good? Any ideas?
I would highly recommend maxing out your bike to work allowance and getting a Brompton. You can fold it up and take it inside, no worry about it getting nicked. This is what I did for years before covid.

Also has the advantage that you can take it on the bus, Luas, train etc. no problem. It is ideal for city traffic. I can't recommend them enough.
FionnK86fromboards

Post by FionnK86fromboards »

[/quote]

I would highly recommend maxing out your bike to work allowance and getting a Brompton. You can fold it up and take it inside, no worry about it getting nicked. This is what I did for years before covid.

Also has the advantage that you can take it on the bus, Luas, train etc. no problem. It is ideal for city traffic. I can't recommend them enough.
[/quote]

Good afternoon Momento Mori,

Thanks for the input.

I'd been looking at the folding type but we don't have enough room in the house even for the small space of the folding bike. It would need to be left at an insecure location anyway (with double-locks) so I'd probably be taking the same risk regardless. Furthermore, there's a really steep hill on way to work, so I'm worried the 17" wheel would require a lot of effort, I want to try arrive with needing a shower :lol:

As a matter of interest, why would you recommend maxing out the allowance?
Memento Mori

Post by Memento Mori »

FionnK86fromboards wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:25 pm

[/quote]

Good afternoon Momento Mori,

Thanks for the input.

I'd been looking at the folding type but we don't have enough room in the house even for the small space of the folding bike. It would need to be left at an insecure location anyway (with double-locks) so I'd probably be taking the same risk regardless. Furthermore, there's a really steep hill on way to work, so I'm worried the 17" wheel would require a lot of effort, I want to try arrive with needing a shower :lol:

As a matter of interest, why would you recommend maxing out the allowance?
[/quote]
The Brompton folds very small, you would be surprised! As for the smaller wheels, it actually makes it easier in my experience, it's certainly nippier off the line. The riding position is quite upright so you can cycle easy enough in a suit. But you cannot leave it locked anywhere as it would get robbed (as will most bikes tbh).

You can only use the bike to work once every five years. Cycling is an addiction, if you buy something mediocre you will probably regret not using all the allowance when you could.

To be honest, if a Brompton is a non runner, if I was you I would just buy a bike for 150 quid or less off Facebook or done deal. If you buy something old that looks like crap but is serviceable it is less likely to get robbed, and if it does it won't be the end of the world.