Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Cycling

Please use this for any other hobbies, we'll create dedicated forums on popular subjects
Hairy-Joe

Re: Cycling

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Fionn, I'd echo what Mori said. I'd get a basic second hand bike that's in reasonable condition.

I'd keep it looking tatty to avoid it being borrowed without your permission as you can't lock it out of sight

Edit, forget to say to look at hybrid style bike and look at slightly fatter tyres. The fatter tyres will give a more comfortable ride and the hybrid bike is more upright and easier for commuting type cycling.
esdras

Post by esdras »

Used to cycle quite a bit in wicklow.

Then, in space of about 5 months my wife had a (non cycling) accident which stopped her being able to drive, and five people in the club (of about 30) had serious accidents, all ending up in hospital. Nerve went a bit then, so haven't been on the bike since.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

No cycling this week. I dropped off the hybrid for a service as it's creaking in the crank with a bit of play in the back wheel. It's coming with me to Spain for three weeks so I want it right.

I'm picking the bike up tomorrow so was looking forward to some spins over the weekend but the weather is going to be crap. Yes I do realize that it's silly of me giving out about a little rain when I've no problem going down a wet and muddy mountain on a mountain bike!
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

God I hate punctures. Got two today cycling up the Mucross Rd in Killarney. No evidence of anything in the tyre. Thank feck I had two tubes and three CO2 canisters in the saddle bag.

The laugh is that I got the punctures while cycling on the road and I had been doing some mild (for me) off-roading up my Lord Brandon's Cottage. Yes I was on the hybrid rather than the MTB.

Now I must investigate can I go tubeless on the Hybrid (it's fantastic on the MTB).
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Never got out for a cycle at all today, but its on the cards tomorrow.
I used to get punctures regularly on the roadbike with the very narrow tyres. That all stopped when I pumped them up
like bullets.
Probably get a puncture now :D
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I run the MTB at 28psi front 30psi rear generally but can vary it depending on what I'm on (Ballyhouras single track, mud, etc). On the hybrid, I always run it at the max pressure on the tyre sidewall.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Went out for a great cycle this morning. 7k not bad for a recovering heart attack patient.
Flew around the countryside on a fresh autumn morning, it felt great. Thankfully the weather was dry, but cool, and its nice to get out for a spell.
Had to fix a puncture before I went, as the road bike tyres are thin and a bit prone to more punctures than the MTB.
But at the moment the MTB is more effort to cycle than the road bike due to the tyre width.

But any day you get out, its all good. ;)
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

At least you were out. Working during the day means I can't get anything done after work. Also, it's quare cold now if I decide to go in the dark.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Went to the Ballyhouras yesterday for a "quick" spin. It was a while since I was up there. I did have a slight moment when braking heavy for a tight bend that the back wheel locked. It locked as there was a light skim of gravel on a polished rock and back wheel just took off sideways. There was some rapid gathering up required (probably through luck) and somehow I made the corner.

It was a lovely cold crisp day up there.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

You are too well off, cycling up there in all that beauty. :)
I been looking at a home solution form cycling during the winter months. Spin bikes seem to be the solution.
I have a good unused mountain bike I am thinking of using on a bike trainer, Any pointers?
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

For home cycling, I've a Tacx Satori. It is complex enough in that it monitors power output and tracks the workouts via a phone app but still has manual control over resistance.

If you are using an old mountain bike, check the wheel size and axle type. A lot of mountain bikes have thru axles rather than quick release axles. The Satori comes with a quick release axle that you swap out for mounting. Check the wheel size as a lot of mountain bikes were using 26" wheels and I don't know if they'll fit, they may be too small. Also, swap the mountain bike tyre for a smooth tyre. The reason is the noise of a mountain bike tyre on a roller would wake the dead!
Memento Mori

Post by Memento Mori »

Need a new rear wheel for my tourer/commuter. Min of 36 spokes, double-walled, rim brake, stronger the better, and cheaper the better. Don't mind if they are heavy. Any ideas? Usual UK places will probably crucify me on import duty.

Current wheel is very cheap, and impossible to keep reasonably true. Its not very worn though so if anyone has any magical tips on truing I would appreciate it. Does not have to be 100% true for my purposes.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I use bike-components.de for shopping for bike bits. No duty and delivery is a couple of days.

I've no recommendations for truing the wheel
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Anyone back on the bikes now that the evenings are longer and the weather is dryer?
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

I've been on the bike pretty much all year round. I had to get an electric one in March though - the physio instructed me to avoid the push bike as the knee is mashed. So at the moment I'm using it as a commuter and general runabout. I hardly use the car any more.

I was hoping the knee might improve so I can do much longer rides but it's a wait and see situation. I did a nice 40k a few weeks ago making to sure to spin rather than torque and it was great to get out.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I'm afraid in not on it as much as I want
Fratello
Verified Username

Post by Fratello »

I came across this a while back
https://www.audaxireland.org/brevet-hiberniae/

Basically it's 128 locations in Ireland, 4 per county on the Island, where you cycle to and photograph your bike.when you get a full provence or all 128 you get a certificate.

There are no restrictions on how far you need to cycle on a day to get one, up to you.

I decided to go at it as a bit of motivation in late 2023. So to date I have 9/128 but I'm only starting. A journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step.

Generally my 2024 cycling is going well. Last year I was a bit plagued with strains and sickness so never really got going properly. I do notice the fact I'm older makes it harder to get fit again than I thought.