Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

History Quiz

Please use this for any other hobbies, we'll create dedicated forums on popular subjects
Riffmongous

Re: History Quiz

Post by Riffmongous »

Sticking with that conflict what was the name of the famous Scottish warrior who fought in both Scotland and Ireland, said to be 7 feet tall and nicknamed 'the Devastator'
Knucklehead6
Verified Username

Post by Knucklehead6 »

Riffmongous wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:00 pm Sticking with that conflict what was the name of the famous Scottish warrior who fought in both Scotland and Ireland, said to be 7 feet tall and nicknamed 'the Devastator'

That’s an easy one.

Stephen

https://tenor.com/G46i.gif
Knucklehead6
Verified Username

Post by Knucklehead6 »

@riff, are you gonna come back with an answer?
Riffmongous

Post by Riffmongous »

Knucklehead6 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:48 pm @riff, are you gonna come back with an answer?
Ups, sorry forget, it was Alasdair MacColla

You want to ask the next one?
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Any sign of the next question?
Mikewest

Post by Mikewest »

Right, so while we are waiting for Knucklehead6 here is a quickie. I just read a comment on this here forum about someone having to eat humble pie, so what actually was a humble pie?
Riffmongous

Post by Riffmongous »

Didn't even know it was a real thing
quodec

Post by quodec »

Great late 60s early 70s rock band...............ok, ok, I know that's AN answer but not the one you're looking for!!!!!!
Mikewest

Post by Mikewest »

Have to disagree with you on the greatness of the rock band who in my opinion were less the the sum of their parts unlike the original humble pie which was meant to be more than the sum of it's less than attractive parts. Hint the word is middle English but has changed spelling from its older origin in a different language.
Riffmongous

Post by Riffmongous »

Hm, something to do with bees? (Hummel in German)
quodec

Post by quodec »

...or his 'humble' an old word like 'shambles', meaning the offal left over form cuts of meat, i.e. you were getting the dregs of the carcass???
Mikewest

Post by Mikewest »

quodec wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:12 am ...or his 'humble' an old word like 'shambles', meaning the offal left over form cuts of meat, i.e. you were getting the dregs of the carcass???
Yep, it is a pie made from offal, from the norman french "nombles" which became numbles and then umbles getting it's h due the the variations of pronunciations and spellings in English. There are multiple suggestions for the origin of eating humble pie but the ones I like best are from medieval hunting where if you failed to complete a kill and another in the hunt had to do it for you, you were not given the choice bits but rather had to eat a humble pie.

You are up next unless Knucklehead jumps back in.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Mikewest wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:55 am Yep, it is a pie made from offal, from the norman french "nombles" which became numbles and then umbles getting it's h due the the variations of pronunciations and spellings in English. There are multiple suggestions for the origin of eating humble pie but the ones I like best are from medieval hunting where if you failed to complete a kill and another in the hunt had to do it for you, you were not given the choice bits but rather had to eat a humble pie.

You are up next unless Knucklehead jumps back in.
Off topic slightly but That's interesting. I do like learning the origin of phrases like that.
quodec

Post by quodec »

Ok, here's an easy one for ye.

At one time the UK was in possession of two 'Emerald Isles'. We here in Ireland were one - where was the other one?
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Too easy - Montserrat.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Here's a slightly more difficult one and it's not the obvious answer:

What close connection do these three soldiers still have - Lord Roberts of Kandahar; Field Marshal Sir Henry Wilson and Lord Wolseley?
'no more blah blah blah'
Mikewest

Post by Mikewest »

Where their statues are located?
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Mikewest wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:16 am Where their statues are located?
You're on the right track can you be more specific?
'no more blah blah blah'
Mikewest

Post by Mikewest »

I have a vague recollection about an Oxford college or some college but that is the best I can do.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Mikewest wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:30 am I have a vague recollection about an Oxford college or some college but that is the best I can do.
I'll let you have it on the basis of your first post which was kind of heading in the correct direction and the question was fairly obscure.

'no more blah blah blah'
Mikewest

Post by Mikewest »

Del.Monte wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:10 am I'll let you have it on the basis of your first post which was kind of heading in the correct direction and the question was fairly obscure.

Feels a bit of a cheat getting that.

Anyhoo, easy and close to home. Oscar Wilde is a very well known Irish writer/poet and historical character but his mother Jane was very well known in her own right, why?
Mikewest

Post by Mikewest »

As no one has risen to the question, Speranza.

Poet, author and Irish nationalist. Had dropped out of favour in the 20th century as she was not really the right type of nationalist for mid 20th century Ireland.

Right, going really simple for the next question. Where did Queen Meave/Meabh rule from?
Riffmongous

Post by Riffmongous »

Mikewest wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:20 pm As no one has risen to the question, Speranza.

Poet, author and Irish nationalist. Had dropped out of favour in the 20th century as she was not really the right type of nationalist for mid 20th century Ireland.

Right, going really simple for the next question. Where did Queen Meave/Meabh rule from?
Cruachan?
quodec

Post by quodec »

Croaghan, Co Roscommon?
Mikewest

Post by Mikewest »

Both very close but not correct, Croghan/Cruchan Co. Roscommon is a current village 10+ miles away. Unlike Del.Monte I need the exact answer for this one.