Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Fitness & Weight Loss

Please use this for any other hobbies, we'll create dedicated forums on popular subjects
Hodors Appletart
Verified Username

Fitness & Weight Loss

Post by Hodors Appletart »

Anyone here currently on a fitness or weight loss thing?

I joined a gym one year ago in an effort to both stave off the effects of Covid if I ever got it, and just to actually lose weight. I was 178cm tall and weighed 145kg, was in a 44 Waist Jeans, I needed to do something. I was, and remain, Obese.

At the end of July 2021 I weighed 128kg, so had lost 17kg in 11 Months, I was not in a position to attend the gym for the month of August due to living in a different county for the month. I did my best with trying to maintain weight, but put on 4kg.

I was back to the gym this morning, and my aim is that by xmas I'll be comfortably at the 25kg lost stage (meaning I've to get to 120kg)

I've found that Intermittent Fasting works for me, along with 2 hour long workouts twice a week.

My IF is 18/6 - I don't eat after 6pm or before Noon, and I don't stack calories into the 6 hours either, I eat a lunch of vegetables and turkey stirfry, and then whatever is on the dinner menu for the family.

At the weekend I don't stick to IF, and allow myself a few cans and maybe some snacks with a movie or something.

It's not a "perfect" plan, and but it's something.
Hold The Door
Peregrinus

Re: Fitness & Weight Loss

Post by Peregrinus »

Weight loss is 80%-plus down to diet; it's the calorie restrictions that are largely responsible for your success to date.

Exercise does help, of course, not just by burning calories through the exercise itself but by stimulating your metabolism so that you burn calories at higher rate generally and (for some lucky people) by acting as an appetite supressant, which makes it easier to stick to your calorie restrictions (and not be miserable about it).

From this point of view, though frequent aerobic exercise is most effective. If you exercised four times a week rather than twice, and if you make sure that your exercise consists largely of aerobic activities (e.g. running rather than weightlifting) this might deliver better results, even if your total exercise time is less than 4 hrs/week. Also it helps to develop exercise habits that aren't dependent on access to a gym, for obvious reasons.

Of course, the bottom line is that the diet and exercise regime that works for you is the one you will stick to, so choose the form of exercise you like rather than the one you hate. And if your reason for going to a gym is that you have signed up for regular sessions or classes and the discipline of that helps you stick to your regime, well, that would be a good reason for not changing.
Hodors Appletart
Verified Username

yes, that is the exact reason I got into the gym, it's a "fat dads" class, twice a week at 6am (Tues & Thurs), I also should have mentioned that I got a bike on which I drop and/or collect my son from school, and also do another cycle most days (totalling about 60-75km per week).

On the point about picking an exercise I like, I absolutely cannot and will never sustain any walking or running, I just despise those activities, especially walking where the only point is to be walking (I'd walk to the pub no problem!). As you mentioned, the gym classes are a huge inspiration to stick to what I'm doing, and the class are a good mixture of cardio and strength.
Hold The Door
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Hodors Appletart wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:52 amOn the point about picking an exercise I like, I absolutely cannot and will never sustain any walking or running, I just despise those activities, especially walking where the only point is to be walking (I'd walk to the pub no problem!).
Each to his own! :lol: I cannot get my head around the idea of running for the sake of running, but I'm quite happy to "go for a walk" ... but usually because I want to see what's around the corner/over the hill/up the valley. Was interviewing a lad for a job last week and he'd put "endurance sports" on his CV - mountain challenges and running/swimming biathlons. I told him my version of endurance sport was to do a 20-km hike during the day, then dance for 6 hours that night. We don't have many overweight individuals on the dancefloor. :mrgreen:

Regardless of what label gets put on it, all sustainable weight loss programmes depend on matching your body's physiology to it's original pattern: periods of (more or less) strenuous activity - the "hunter-gatherer" part of our evolution - followed by eating, followed by periods of not having any food and dipping into stored reserves.

The "gathering" part is a useful exercise - especially with children - as the amount of calories you'll burn while picking blackberries, for example, or traipsing through a field looking for mushrooms, is rarely rewarded with a surplus of calories in the basket. But it doesn't matter - the mental stimulation/distraction is just as important. You can achieve something similar with family/shared meals where there are a dozen different dishes on offer, but the portion sizes are considerably smaller than usual - tasting and talking about the different meat/veg/sauce/etc can make you feel as full as eating an XXL burger&fries on your own.
Clurickeen

Post by Clurickeen »

Hodors Appletart wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:48 am Anyone here currently on a fitness or weight loss thing?

I joined a gym one year ago in an effort to both stave off the effects of Covid if I ever got it, and just to actually lose weight. I was 178cm tall and weighed 145kg, was in a 44 Waist Jeans, I needed to do something. I was, and remain, Obese.

At the end of July 2021 I weighed 128kg, so had lost 17kg in 11 Months, I was not in a position to attend the gym for the month of August due to living in a different county for the month. I did my best with trying to maintain weight, but put on 4kg.

I was back to the gym this morning, and my aim is that by xmas I'll be comfortably at the 25kg lost stage (meaning I've to get to 120kg)

I've found that Intermittent Fasting works for me, along with 2 hour long workouts twice a week.

My IF is 18/6 - I don't eat after 6pm or before Noon, and I don't stack calories into the 6 hours either, I eat a lunch of vegetables and turkey stirfry, and then whatever is on the dinner menu for the family.

At the weekend I don't stick to IF, and allow myself a few cans and maybe some snacks with a movie or something.

It's not a "perfect" plan, and but it's something.
Sounds like the If really works for you. Have never tried it but have to try something soon or I'll be airlifted out of my house! Gained about a stone in last Yr and was already about 2 St overweight so now have at least 3st to lose. Was walking so much up to march or so, well so much by my standards, about 5 miles a day. I know its all an excuse but it's working from home in stressful job, small farm, 3 kids and I literally eat my stress 😢. Would like to try the IF but I'm up before 7am,is it possible to last till noon??
Also do you think the IF causes you to cut calories as you only have a shortish window to eat or is the very act of fasting helping with the loss. Either way, I have read that fasting is very good for your health.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Clurickeen wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:13 pmI have read that fasting is very good for your health.
Hmm. Whatever you've been reading needs a bit of nuance: fasting can have some advantages for your health, depending on what your current health status is and what exactly you mean by fasting. It can also be very bad for your health, so shouldn't be done without at least knowing the full extent of what's going on in your body.
Clurickeen wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:13 pmWould like to try the IF but I'm up before 7am,is it possible to last till noon??
Also do you think the IF causes you to cut calories as you only have a shortish window to eat or is the very act of fasting helping with the loss.
The stereotypical French "two hour lunch" is, in fact, a late breakfast ("déjeuner" = "de-fast" or "break-fast") and was the traditional first meal of the day for farmers and early industrial labourers. So yes, it's possible to last till noon (with or without a quick coffee at daybreak) ... and is relatively coherent with basic human physiology. Out in the wild, your ancestors wouldn't have eaten until they'd got up and out and caught their breakfast in a field or forest.

The challenge for anyone today is more psychological than physical, and if you're a stress-eater, you might have to deal with this first before you try to survive a 7-till-noon fast, day after day after day. Hodor gives himself the weekend off, which is fine; you might need to treat yourself to a day off on (e.g.) Wednesdays as well if it helps you get through Mon/Tue and Thur/Fri, at least until you start to see some weight loss and decide that you really want to push yourself a bit harder.

It's the fact of not eating for an extended period of time that triggers the weight loss. There's only so much easily burnt sugar available in your body at any one time. Once you've used it up, you body has to start breaking down alternative sources, starting with complex sugars/starches, then switching to fat and/or muscle. Keeping physically active during the fasting period is important, not just to burn calories, but also to remind your body that the muscle tissue should left alone.

One of the biggest problems faced by seriously obese people is that they don't move, so their bodies burn muscle mass to preserve their fat stores. Again, being motivated to move - especially when you don't have to - is a psychological hurdle that must be overcome, so you need to have an activity that appeals to you, one that can be continued in one form or another pretty much regardless of whatever else is going on in your life.
Clurickeen

Post by Clurickeen »

Oh I know, I don't mean a 3 week fast, just an extended night time fast if that makes sense. The benefits of delaying breakfast or alternatively not eating after 6pm are well documented. But if I actually practised this I'd be doing well but it's not easy.... Can be so nice in the evening to settle down with a cuppa and warm brown bread straight out of the oven.
You're right tho about the psychological aspect to it all, a lot of it is either stress related or pure comfort eating.
I am reasonably active after my work day is done and hope now the kids are back to school to get back to a brisk walk in morning before work again.
Speaking of running for the sake of it, my other half runs a lot, about 10miles a day and has for years. He does not like if his run can't happen for whatever reason and gets very techty. While I'd much prefer a brisk walk, I do envy him his energy and dedication but I think I'm just too lazy to even think of that mileage 😂
Hodors Appletart
Verified Username

I've never found it difficult, probably because black coffee sustains me from 7am to noon, I drink two or three cups of good coffee in the morning, at my desk in my home office

I also do my gym workout during the fast period, (6-7am) and again, it's not an issue on those days.
Hold The Door

Post by 765489 »

I don't usually have a breakfast, eat dinner roughly 2 to 3 pm. Then a sandwich later on. So usually only have two meals per day. I do however eat a lot of chocolate in the evenings :?

Some days I'll be out working in a field all day or into the offoce and miss lunch and the only sustainance is coffee. Not sure how healthy this all is though.
Hodors Appletart
Verified Username

No I never have breakfast either - at the weekend I may eat food that many consider to be breakfast food sometime between 10.30-12.00(brunch, I believe, is what the cool kids are calling this), but then I will only have one other meal that day.

I'm a "2 meals a day" person during the week, and one of those meals is always heaped with veg, small bit of turkey.
Hold The Door
Jimmy Bottlehead
Verified Username

Post by Jimmy Bottlehead »

HA, you may benefit from upping your protein and either maintaining or reducing your carb intake. Lower carb, with higher protein and (healthy) fats are more conducive to weight loss.

I found IF great for weight loss, but unfortunately it didn't mix well with my desire to bulk up a few years ago! Solid plan though.
Hodors Appletart
Verified Username

I have no carbs with lunch (well, minimal, whatever comes in veg really) and a portion of carbs with dinner each evening (spuds, pasta, rice etc)

We, as a family, like to keep dinners similar for everyone as much as possible :)
Hold The Door
Jimmy Bottlehead
Verified Username

Also, forgot to say in the first post, you're doing great. That's a very commendable loss so far, so keep up the good work.
Stratowide
Verified Username

Post by Stratowide »

Yeah IF is the best fat loss programme I've done.

Usually do it before the soccer season starts to burn off some summer fat.

I do a 23/1 fast with the bare minimum of carbs.High in fat and moderate protein.

I'd do a 48/72 hour fast once a week too.
Always found it easy as I'm never hungry on it.The key is to eliminate carbs as you will be constantly hungry when consuming them.

Id ease into the IF gently by giving up the carbs gradually.Much less withdrawal that way.

Never lost much muscle this way either.I think it's 90% fat/10% muscle loss on prolonged fasting to 75% fat/25% muscle loss on other diets.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:50 am I don't usually have a breakfast, eat dinner roughly 2 to 3 pm. Then a sandwich later on. So usually only have two meals per day. I do however eat a lot of chocolate in the evenings :?

Some days I'll be out working in a field all day or into the offoce and miss lunch and the only sustainance is coffee. Not sure how healthy this all is though.
You'd be surprised. I have been reading recently a lot about the positive effects of intermittent fasting. Apparently your body switches to producing ketones which change the way your metabolism works(not so reliant on glucose)
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

2u2me wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:29 pm I have been reading recently a lot about the positive effects of intermittent fasting. Apparently your body switches to producing ketones which change the way your metabolism works(not so reliant on glucose)
Kinda, yeah. But bodies are designed to continually look for the most efficient compromise between storing and using available calories. Any "switch" in that sense will only last as long as the conditions that caused it persist. This is why a successful weight-loss programme must involve a longterm change in lifestyle and attitude.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I'm another trying to get a bit fitter. I never bothered to weigh myself before I started but due to my shape, the BMI doesn't really work. I've very short legs and long torso coupled with broad shoulders, hence always weighed "heavy" for my size.

I have noticed weight loss when the jeans went from 38" to 34" waste. The watch on the wrist is looser than before. The legs and shoulders have gotten bigger than before but it's mainly muscle (from looking at them).

My method was eat more salad, cut the 10oclock tea at work back to an apple and get at least an hour exercise after work (walk or cycle). I do go for a 3 or 4 hour cycle over the weekend if I can. Some of the cycling can be mountain bike over some rough ground. That gives you more of a workout in the arms and shoulders as you have a LOT more work to do on the handlebars on a mountain bike compared to a road bike.
Memento Mori

Post by Memento Mori »

Tried on my suits in advance of the return to office, none of my pants fit anymore! Disaster. I've put on about a stone, basically because all my exercise was commute/work related (cycling to train, walk at lunch etc.). With wfh that fell to zero with exercise relegated to just the weekend. Not good! Have to get my act together, I'm not buying a load of new suits. Hopefully, I can shift a few pounds by mid-October!
Jimmy Bottlehead
Verified Username

Enjoying being back to the gym again after being away since the start of Covid. Well, I'm enjoying the weightlifting, can't say the same for cardio! But I'm determined to turn the 30lb weight gain over the past two years into something solid.
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

CelticRambler wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:23 am Kinda, yeah. But bodies are designed to continually look for the most efficient compromise between storing and using available calories. Any "switch" in that sense will only last as long as the conditions that caused it persist. This is why a successful weight-loss programme must involve a longterm change in lifestyle and attitude.
This is probably the most important point - long term changes in lifestyle. I've been successful in losing large amounts of weight over the years only to regain most of it when I started to let things slip.

When I say 'let things slip' what I really mean is I started eating sugary stuff again. Refined sugar is the enemy and unless you can control your intake of the stuff, you will get fat. The problem with sugar is that it's such a dense source of calories, especially when combined with fat when it's most delicious! You don't need much of it to massively exceed your recommended daily calories.

So while exercise is super important, it's almost impossible or the average person to burn off the extra calories. One Twix contain about 250 calories which takes about 15 mins decent pace on treadmill to burn off.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Cyclepath wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:40 am So while exercise is super important, it's almost impossible or the average person to burn off the extra calories. One Twix contain about 250 calories which takes about 15 mins decent pace on treadmill to burn off.
That's not entirely true. It's only when you consistently load up on sugary stuff and don't exercise enough during that "gluttony" phase that those calories get shunted into the long term storage depot that is body fat. If you're engaged in fairly strenuous physical activity over a relatively prolonged period of time, then readily available sugars are the best thing you can eat. (Or possibly second best - slow-release starches might be better in some situations)

As of last week, now that the trad dance scene is back in action (here in France) I'd be aiming for about 4000kcal per dance day to maintain my body weight (70kg) - 2500 for the normal part of the day, and an extra 1500 for the night! My usual bedtime snack after a dance would be 1x125g yoghurt (whole milk, 125kcal), 1x 45g Mars or 4-finger Kitkat (200kcal), 1x banana (for the potassium, 100kcal), 3-4 slices of brioche (100g butter, eggs & flour=350kcal) - 775kcal. Plus a pot of tea! And I'll still wake up hungry in the morning. It's not just me either. Any time I bring a visitor to one of these events, the most common comment they make at the end of the night is the size of the portions of cake, sandwiches, salads, and/or bowls of pasta that the featherweight women wolf down before changing out of their sensible shoes. :D

There's a bit too much made of the "just half an hour's brisk walk will do you good" when it comes to weight loss. Yes, it'll do you good if you'd otherwise be sitting on a sofa or in a car or at a desk somewhere; but what our bodies really need are long periods of exercise - 2, 3, 5, 7, 10 hours at a time. That changes the way your physiology processes the different sources of calories ... and allows you to eat more sugary and fatty woods without gaining weight.
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

I would say though CelticRamber that you're not the average person! I've been to some of those country dances in Poitou Charentes and they're impressive! I couldn't keep up!

I'm about 108kg, down from 120kg. And at 56, with arthritis I simply can't sustain the exercise levels required to handle sugar intake. Because I'm in weight loss mode I have to cut calories before I start. I'll swim about 6km a week, cycle about 30-40km and maybe a walk or two and even that puts me ahead of most people out there.

My point was that for an average office worker, simply consuming a twix for morning and afternoon tea break, on top of a typical Irish diet, with typical Irish portion sizes would require an amount or intensity of exercise that many folk simply aren't up to doing. So really it's at least 80% in the kitchen.

I'm back from 3 weeks in France and actually lost weight because the diet was so much better, the portion sizes far more realistic, and yes I'll admit we used our bikes far more!
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Cyclepath wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:41 pm I would say though CelticRamber that you're not the average person! I've been to some of those country dances in Poitou Charentes and they're impressive! I couldn't keep up!
Ah now, maybe not average for Gubu, but nothing special in the company I keep! And despite my enthusiasm, my level of fitness isn't what it was when I used to be set-dancing. I was invited to a set dance night by some of my old dancing buddies (all at least 20 years older than me) one time when I was back in Dublin a while ago. It nearly killed me! :lol: