Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Ivermectin

All things COVID
isha
Verified Username

Re: Ivermectin

Post by isha »

Must include Irish man William Campbell's fascinating lecture from a good number of years ago. Really interesting talk. Given at Trinity College. About the amazing substance that is Ivermectin. He was awarded the Nobel Prize for Ivermectin in 2015.
There is evidence coming out at the moment that Ivermectin is an immune modulator - it shows promising action against colorectal cancer and breast cancer. It's just amazing how it was found in that one soil sample. Among it's actions it works also as a protease and viral inhibitor.

I have seen another interesting story from Northern Ireland where soil taken from a grave in Boho, of a local priest. The soil was reputed locally to be a cure. It turns out that it is showing promise to deal with antibiotic resistance and combatting superbugs because of a unique strain of Streptomyces in it ! The earth is awesome. We have specific receptors in the human body that work with precise molecules just found in plants and natural substances that have no particular use to the plants or inert materials but are incredibly useful to us humans - this just regularly amazes me.

Here are proposed methods of action that could be possible with Ivermectin re Covid from Nature journal -
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41429-021-00491-6

A. Direct action on SARS-CoV-2

Level 1: Action on SARS-CoV-2 cell entry.

Level 2: Action on importin (IMP) superfamily.

Level 3: Action as an ionophore.

B. Action on host targets important for viral replication

Level 4: Action as an antiviral.

Level 5: Action on viral replication and assembly.

Level 6: Action on posttranslational processing of viral polyproteins.

Level 7: Action on karyopherin (KPNA/KPNB) receptors.

C. Action on host targets important for inflammation

Level 8: Action on interferon (INF) levels.

Level 9: Action on Toll-like receptors (TLRs).

Level 10: Action on nuclear factor-κB (NF-κB) pathway.

Level 11: Action on the JAK-STAT pathway, PAI-1, that could be involved with COVID-19 sequalae.

Level 12: Action on P21 activated kinase 1 (PAK1).

Level 13: Action on interleukin-6 (IL-6) levels.

Level 14: Action on allosteric modulation of P2X4 receptor.

Level 15: Action on high mobility group box 1 (HMGB1).

Level 16: Action as an immunomodulator on lung tissue and olfaction.

Level 17: Action as an anti-inflammatory.

D. Action on other host targets

Level 18: Action on plasmin and annexin A2.

Level 19: Action on CD 147 on the red blood cell (RBC).

Level 20: Action on mitochondrial ATP under hypoxia on cardiac function.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I actually am less impressed by WHAT they have in their medicine packs than by the fact that the Indian government go to this fantastic trouble to issue home supplies to all their citizens. Bravo, really! It is so much better for people to feel they have some useful tools to work with than to feel helpless.
Varanasi-
“A total of 874 committees will distribute the kits in rural areas under eight primary health centers (PHCs) in developmental block areas of Varanasi. Likewise, monitoring committees of all 90 wards will distribute the Covid medicine kits in urban areas under 24 PHCs. These committees will also distribute the kits in Ramnagar and Gangapur areas,” Dr Rai said.

Apart from this, the Covid medicine kits would also be available at five other identified places, including seven Covid hospitals, railway stations, bus stands and jail in the city.
Dr Rai said, “The Covid medicine kits comprise different medicines for different age group of people. The kits for children from birth to 1 year, and 1-5 years contain paracetamol drops, ORS and multivitamin drops. While for 5-12 years, it has paracetamol tablets, Ivermectin 6 mg and Vitamin B complex.

Azithromycin 500, Ivermectin 12 mg, Vitamin D3, Vitamin C, Zinc, Vitamin B complex and paracetamol tablets are available for those above 12 years.”
https://www.hindustantimes.com/cities/o ... 21395.html
PureIsle

Post by PureIsle »

For those still tracking IVM this might be of interest. It is a pre-print so subject to change after peer review.

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... e_Matching

PDF
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Ca ... tching.pdf

Is this going to be the study that finally silences those who have denegrated previous studies?
I doubt it.
They have their own agendas.
PureIsle

Post by PureIsle »

Watching a video interview about Honduras
https://8days.org/success-in-honduras

Apparently they went out to the citizens and issued each adult who had symptoms with a kit of medicines and those without symptoms were given Ivermectin.
They also did triage and those deemed sufficiently ill were sent to hospital.
The whole scheme reminded me of what was done in Uttar Pradesh, with slight differences.

It is very noticeable that both Gov and Media (2 channels controlled by gov) were very supportive.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

PureIsle wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:06 pm Watching a video interview about Honduras
https://8days.org/success-in-honduras
Which was removed by Youtube for being total bullshit.

Still getting your info from dodgy sites Pureisle? I had a good laugh at the story on the front page about the doctor in South Africa who cured all 7000 of his covid patients with antihistamines! :lol: :lol:
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Scotty wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:21 pm Which was removed by Youtube for being total bullshit.

Still getting your info from dodgy sites Pureisle? I had a good laugh at the story on the front page about the doctor in South Africa who cured all 7000 of his covid patients with antihistamines! :lol: :lol:
I don't know what this site is, but Dr Shankara Chetty has been an absolute phenomenon during this pandemic. I have watched quite a few interviews with him. He is a charming, intelligent, unassuming doctor with experience of years of practice in medicine.
He developed a protocol for treating people very early on. He set up a great operation in the front yard of his practice, went into isolation to protect his family, and never missed treating his patients in person. He had the outdoor field clinic divided into non-covid patients, covid suspected, and covid positive.
They did not have a hospital close to them so he relied on old-fashioned proper medical observation, and repurposing of drugs. He was the one who earliest noted the vascular nature of the covid disease and how a case will often turn bad with hypersensitivity around the 8th day when anti-clotting agents must be used.
He has had his early protocols published in Modern Medical Magazine, Volume 45, Number 5, Issue 5, 2020 (if anyone is interested) - I copied them down very early on in this pandemic and stuck them on the inside of the kitchen cupboard - they have been highly successful for so many people.
He uses medications like Montelukast, Hydrochloroquine, Prednisone, Promethazine , Aspirin, Adrenaline Nebs, Azithromycin. Many of these meds he used quite early on are only now beginning to be considered more generally.

I am full of admiration for this incredible Indian doctor who has been working so hard with local often very poor people in South Africa. Almost no deaths have occurred in his thousands of patients. I hope some day he gets adequate recognition for what he has done.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

isha wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:17 pm Almost no deaths have occurred in his thousands of patients.
Almost? You're selling him short. According to the article not a single one of his 7,000 patients required even a hospital visit!

Here he is giving away his secret.. "one antihistamine and watch them recover"!! Has Joe Rogan seen this? Or Trump?

Post by 490808 »

I think Dr Chetty is being taken out of context?

My understanding is that the above advice is his therapy for the 8th day of Covid onwards, so its not a case of antihistamines curing Covid its more about preventing long term Covid symptoms. He doesn't claim it as a cure and is sensible enough to say its to help COVID-19 from progressing towards severe disease.

Copy and pasted from https://emlct.com/wp-content/uploads/20 ... 2_2021.pdf
DR CHETTY’S 8TH DAY THERAPY FOR COVID-19
This one-pager summarizes the therapy adopted by Dr Shankara Chetty, from South Africa, to help
prevent COVID-19 from progressing towards severe disease
. The document focuses on the 8th day
onwards of COVID-19, i.e. the inflammatory phase. It does not cover the initial viral phase, for which
early treatment protocols already exist and can be prescribed before. The document is for information
only, not for therapeutic advice. If you catch COVID-19, please seek immediate medical help.
The 8th Day Therapy aims at mitigating a possible hypersensitivity reaction, that can trigger an
inappropriate immune response, including a possible subsequent cytokine storm. This transition from
the initial viral phase typically occurs on Day 8 after the first symptoms. It’s essential for the treating
physician to establish as precisely as possible the first day of symptoms, to alert the patient of the
date when a possible sudden aggravation of symptoms may occur. Shortness of breath is typically
associated with this aggravation.
The 8th Day Therapy encompasses 4 distinct interventions. They sometimes follow a previously
prescribed early treatment protocol. Possible drug interactions need to be carefully assessed.
Intervention #1: Corticosteroids
Goal: To stop the hypersensitivity reaction, to stop the release of mediators and to prevent an
inappropriate immune response, including a possible subsequent cytokine storm.
Medication: Prednisone 80mg dly x 1 week.
Note: Increase dose rapidly to get symptomatic relief quickly. CRP and IL6 values must show quick decline. Dose
will vary according to variants and severity of reaction. Can go as high as 100mg tds for first few days. Wean off
cautiously when CRP and IL6 are normal or patient is well for a few days. Those with prolonged reactions are
difficult to wean, so consider adding Azathioprine 50mg dly to decrease steroid requirements.
Intervention #2: Anti-histamines
Goal: To clear the histamines that have been released.
Medications:
H1: Promethazine 25mg tds x 5 days or Levocetirizine 5mg bd x 1 month to follow Promethazine
H2: Cimetidine 400mg x 1 month or another H2 blocker
Other anti-histamine drugs can be suitable
Intervention #3: Anti-leukotrienes
Goal: To clear the leukotrienes that have been released.
Medication: Montelukast 10mg bd x 5 days then dly x 1 month
Intervention #4: Blood Thinners
Goal: to clear platelet activating factors
Medications:
Aspirin 325 mg dly x 1 month.
Add Xarelto 15 mg bd if D.Dimer is raised; decrease to 15 mg dly x 1 month once D.Dimer is normal
Optional Interventions
- Add appropriate antibiotics for those with fever, bacterial co-infection or raised Procalcitonin levels
- Add Venteze syrup PRN for those suffering from asthma
- Add Ivermectin 12 mg dly x 5 days in those with cough, dyspnea or decreased oxygen saturation
- Fluvoxamine may be a suitable drug, yet Dr Chetty has so far no experience with it.

By Dr Shankara Chetty, MD, with the editorial assistance of JP Kiekens / covexit.com
Strictly for Information Only, Not for Medical advice. Version of May 12 2021.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Scotty wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:47 pm Almost? You're selling him short. According to the article not a single one of his 7,000 patients required even a hospital visit!

Here he is giving away his secret.. "one antihistamine and watch them recover"!! Has Joe Rogan seen this? Or Trump?

I am not selling him short - I think he is brilliant. He is a hero of mine actually, much more so than any of the other people who have emerged to public notice in this god-forsaken pandemic. Another amazing thing about him is how he is collaborating with doctors worldwide, often in poor parts of the world, places that have not gotten vaccines for their vulnerable elderly and unwell people, because the rich healthy people of the developed world are horsing all the medical products into themselves as soon as it comes off the production lines!

What has Rogan got to do with this? Trump?? Why are you so full of mockery of what is apparently a very good outcome? He has treated so many - any of them could get on social media and rubbish his words.

You can contact him yourself and mock him personally if you like - Info on google, freely available

Medical center in Port Edward, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
Address: 356 Dover Rd, North Sand Bluff, Port Edward, 4295, South Africa

Phone: +27 39 311 3456
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

isha wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:07 pm What has Rogan got to do with this? Trump?? Why are you so full of mockery of what is apparently a very good outcome? He has treated so many - any of them could get on social media and rubbish his words.
So a GP treating people in his front garden, has treated 7,000 covid patients, AND NOT ONE has required a hospital visit, because on the 8th day they were given a single antihistamine? That's what you're asking people to believe?
PureIsle

Post by PureIsle »

Here is another video I have watched.
I found it rather difficult going, TBH, but was very glad I sat through it, as the quality of the data is so good.
Also, those involved have stated that their raw data is available for others to do their own analysis.

The only difficulty now is that the virus has moved on so the results cannot be guaranteed with later variants.

https://odysee.com/@FrontlineCovid19Cri ... 58ada5725a
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

PureIsle wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:36 pm Here is another video I have watched.
I found it rather difficult going, TBH, but was very glad I sat through it...
I did a quick google of them as I always do. This is what wikipedia has to say about them...
The Front Line COVID-19 Critical Care Alliance (FLCCC) is a small U.S. organization of physicians and former journalists formed in April 2020 that has advocated for various treatments for COVID-19, most of them ineffective (e.g. the anti-parasitic drug ivermectin) and some other drugs and vitamins of dubious efficacy. The group is led by Paul E. Marik and Pierre Kory.

The World Health Organization, U.S. Food and Drug Administration, and European Medicines Agency advise against the use of ivermectin for COVID-19 outside of clinical trials, but the FLCCC has contended that ivermectin could reduce viral load and accelerate recovery in patients.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Scotty wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:35 pm So a GP treating people in his front garden, has treated 7,000 covid patients, AND NOT ONE has required a hospital visit, because on the 8th day they were given a single antihistamine? That's what you're asking people to believe?
He does not give a single histamine. There is a long list of treatments he gives, if he mentioned a single histamine it will have been in the context of the improvement available from treating mast cell inflammation,

Anyways, I am done talking with you on the subject of the very brilliant Dr Shankara Chetty. You can rubbish him all you like if that rocks your world.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

isha wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:51 pm He does not give a single histamine. There is a long list of treatments he gives,
Not according to his own description in the video...

"It's really very simple, if you could give your patient one table, one antihistamine, and watch them recover".

Brilliant indeed.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Scotty wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:59 pm Not according to his own description in the video...

"It's really very simple, if you could give your patient one table, one antihistamine, and watch them recover".

Brilliant indeed.
(SIGH :roll: )

Completely disingenuous interpretation of what he said. He is basically saying that improvement will be seen from the onset or start of the treatment, even after one tablet. Which should give the physician confidence to continue.

For anyone who does not nurse a stubborn refusal to consider that doctors have been having success treating Covid (thank goodness!!) then Dr Shankara Chetty's Protocol can be read here
http://www.modernmedia.co.za/modernmedi ... index.html
Go to page 23 (it is a digital magazine) and then turn the page and the next 4 pages contain his protocol. He uses (among several other meds) the anti-histamine Promethazine in the hypersensitivity phase (if needed) at 25mg STAT followed by three times daily for 5 days.

Interestingly another antihistamine medication - Benadryl - is showing up recently as being effective against Covid. Generic name diphenhydramine.
University of Florida researchers - https://m.ufhealth.org/news/2021/two-co ... ly-testing

Related to topic of antihistamines and Covid
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/labs/pmc/a ... MC7833340/
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 1X20321409
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

Scotty wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:50 pm I did a quick google of them as I always do. This is what wikipedia has to say about them...
I think at this stage we all know that the World Health Organization, U.S. Food and Drug Administration, and European Medicines Agency advise against the use of ivermectin, but it is a lot less clear that it is ineffective. That's exactly what is noteworthy about Ivermectin.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

isha wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:29 pm Completely disingenuous interpretation of what he said. He is basically saying that improvement will be seen from the onset or start of the treatment, even after one tablet. Which should give the physician confidence to continue.
No he isn't. He says 'a single tablet, and 'watch them recover'. That's not me being diningenous, that's exactly what he says.

Look, you're free to believe that someone in their local carpark or wherever has treated thousands of covid patients with antihistamines and has not had one single patient
that's required hospital treatment. I'm sure there's thousands that would believe that but I'm not one of them.

Even the picture in the article looks photoshopped...

Scotty

Post by Scotty »

schmittel wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:34 am I think at this stage we all know that the World Health Organization, U.S. Food and Drug Administration, and European Medicines Agency advise against the use of ivermectin, but it is a lot less clear that it is ineffective. That's exactly what is noteworthy about Ivermectin.
Yes but I'm not saying Ivermectin is not effective, I'm saying the source of information quoted above is questionable.

I would take my advice from the likes of World Health Organization, U.S. Food and Drug Administration, and European Medicines Agency before I'd take if from Joe Rogan, Donald Trump, or some GP sitting in a car park in SA.

Even the creator of Ivermectin says the dose required to kill Covid would be too high for humans though it may have some success in slowing it.
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

Scotty wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:36 am Even the creator of Ivermectin says the dose required to kill Covid would be too high for humans though it may have some success in slowing it.
Is that not exactly the same as the vaccine? It's not killing the virus but it has some success in reducing the impact.

The more I hear about Ivermectin, the more I am struck by the fact that the very reasons it is being deemed ineffective are similiar to the characteristics of the vaccines that are being lauded as a game changer!
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

The vaccine was trialled on about 150,000 people as a treatment for Covid before it was approved for emergency use.

I'm not sure where trials for Ivermectin as a covid treatment are....?

I do know there are some treatments in Phase 3 at the moment which are showing great success.

Also, prevention is better than cure.
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

Scotty wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:39 pm The vaccine was trialled on about 150,000 people as a treatment for Covid before it was approved for emergency use.

I'm not sure where trials for Ivermectin as a covid treatment are....?

I do know there are some treatments in Phase 3 at the moment which are showing great success.

Also, prevention is better than cure.
But given that Ivermectin has already been approved for human use by the FDA albeit for a different illness, it has been through far more extensive clinical trials and been taken in large numbers in general use, it is inherently a less risky decision to approve it for emergency use.

Granted there is no point in approving it for use in treating covid until there is some confidence it works but the trials for Ivermectin as a covid treatment seem to taking a lot longer than those of the vaccines which does not make any sense.

And then when people look to places where it has been used as a covid treatment - eg Uttar Pradesh - and see a very good covid situation relative to the rest of the world, it makes sense to wonder what the feck is the issue with Ivermectin.

I'd totally agree that prevention is better than cure, which would be a very valid reason 18 months ago to say let's not get distracted by what might be a false hope in Ivermectin, lets put all our eggs in the developing a vaccine basket.

However after 12 months of the vaccine, showing pretty piss poor performance of what it was designed to do - i.e prevent rather than cure, the argument doesn't quite have the same validity.
PureIsle

Post by PureIsle »

schmittel wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:01 pm But given that Ivermectin has already been approved for human use by the FDA albeit for a different illness, it has been through far more extensive clinical trials and been taken in large numbers in general use, it is inherently a less risky decision to approve it for emergency use.
Practically no risk in using it, based on decades of safety data.
Granted there is no point in approving it for use in treating covid until there is some confidence it works but the trials for Ivermectin as a covid treatment seem to taking a lot longer than those of the vaccines which does not make any sense.
There is no incentive for a commercial company to do a trial and spend millions doing it, thus allowing their competitors to take advantage with their own product, as it is out of patent.

There is/was no requirement for it to be specifically 'approved' for the treatment of Covid-19.
And then when people look to places where it has been used as a covid treatment - eg Uttar Pradesh - and see a very good covid situation relative to the rest of the world, it makes sense to wonder what the feck is the issue with Ivermectin.
There is no known issue with Ivermectin.
The issue is that for some reason doctors are being prevented from prescribing it.
There is no safety reason for this prevention.
I'd totally agree that prevention is better than cure, which would be a very valid reason 18 months ago to say let's not get distracted by what might be a false hope in Ivermectin, lets put all our eggs in the developing a vaccine basket.
Ivermectin has been used as a preventative and there are many studies of the results, which almost all show efficacy.
The development and production of vaccines was not dependent on NOT allowing doctors to use IVM, so what do you think might be the reason its use was 'discouraged'?
However after 12 months of the vaccine, showing pretty piss poor performance of what it was designed to do - i.e prevent rather than cure, the argument doesn't quite have the same validity.
IMO, there was no valid argument at any time, against the use of IVM.
No doctor needed specific approval from any 'body' for its use.
It was already an approved medication for humans. Doctors have always used medications for uses for which they were not trialled - off label use.

In the case of IVM and HCQ, two meds which have proven antiviral properties their use has been prevented in Western countries, to treat a virus. There is no logic to it.

All that was required was for it NOT to be effectively banned from use, and let the doctors in the front line treat patients as they saw fit.
Instead we get meds effectively banned and doctors not allowed to treat patients with a viral illness.

Hydroxychloroquine was studied in 1995 and its anti-viral properties shown.
It was studied again in 2005, and Faucie's NIAID delivered a paper on it.

It too has proved efficacious, but it too is not allowed to be used by doctors in their normal manner.

Add to that I read of pharmacies refusing to fulfil prescriptions for IVM ....... valid doctor generated prescriptions.

There is something very wrong with what is being done to stop cheap anti-virals from being used to treat this virus.
PureIsle

Post by PureIsle »

I meant to add to the above

HCQ was given some form of emergency use only approval in USA, which essentially meant it could only be used in trials, thus preventing doctors from prescribing it for their patients not in an 'approved trial'.

It was thus prevented for off-label use in the USA.
PureIsle

Post by PureIsle »

VARANASI With the help of monitoring committees, the distribution of Covid-19 medicine kits began in Varanasi on Saturday as a preventive measure to check the third wave of Covid-19
“The Covid medicine kits comprise different medicines for different age group of people. The kits for children from birth to 1 year, and 1-5 years contain paracetamol drops, ORS and multivitamin drops.

While for 5-12 years, it has paracetamol tablets, Ivermectin 6 mg and Vitamin B complex.

Azithromycin 500, Ivermectin 12 mg, Vitamin D3, Vitamin C, Zinc, Vitamin B complex and paracetamol tablets are available for those above 12 years.”
https://www.hindustantimes.com/cities/o ... 21395.html

It appears there is continuing use of kits as above to help reduce illness and hospitalisation and death.
This report from Varanasi which is in Uttar Pradesh I believe.

Post by 490808 »

PureIsle wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:23 am https://www.hindustantimes.com/cities/o ... 21395.html

It appears there is continuing use of kits as above to help reduce illness and hospitalisation and death.
This report from Varanasi which is in Uttar Pradesh I believe.
But what is reducing the illness hospitalisations and death here?

Massive increase in Covid numbers but deaths dropping - must be the fresh Irish air?