Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Travel

All things COVID

Travel

Post by 490808 »

I'm travelling over to the UK to see my 89 yo mother this week just noticed that there is talk of reintroducing PCR tests for all people comming into the country. The potential of 14 days at home quaranteen isn't an issue for me.

I've no problem doing the test or paying for it but travelling by ferry makes it a pain. There is no where near to Pembroke Dock that does the testing and I have to travel to do the test and time it so I have the results back with time left to travel.

I'm going to have to book a test just in case because past expereince is that you have to book them up to a week in advance or risk not getting a test when you need it.

Annoying when last time PCR tests were in force a neighbor travelled back from the UK via Belfast to avoid any restrictions.

There are still no restrictions travelling to the UK.
isha
Verified Username

Re: Travel

Post by isha »

The requirement for PCR upon arrival and isolation til result between UK and Ireland is not applying, YET at least, because its designated common travel area. Thank goodness, as himself is back and forth.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/1128/12635 ... avirus-uk/
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...

Post by 490808 »

That was yesterdays news. Hopefully todays news is just the usual hyped up news panic.

I've tested with Boots in the past and just in case I've booked a slot. They don't charge if you cancel so thought it better to have slot now (not many available as it was booking over a week in advance) than not have one.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Damn.

Post by 490808 »

At least I don't have to isolate when I get back from the UK this time.

Trouble is my second worst fear has cropped up. PCR test booked and followed by some really bad weather meaning that the ferry might be cancelled. I'll probably just turn up at the ferry and sleep in the car till a ferry leaves.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Things may change from Tuesday 4 am, The Continental Op. I am not sure if Common Travel Area exemption will apply anymore between Ireland and UK. Perhaps it will continue to apply. But worth keeping an eye on.

Travellers heading to the UK will now have to have a Covid test before their departure in effort to limit spread of the virus, government has announced.

Health Secretary Sajid Javid said the tightened requirements will come into force from 04:00 on Tuesday.

Travellers will be required to submit evidence of a negative lateral flow or PCR test to enter.

Currently people only need to self-isolate until they test negative within two days of arriving.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-59534685

Post by 490808 »

Won't be going back to the UK until a couple of weeks after Christmas and the rules should be evident by then.

Best place to check for me is the Irish Ferries website because they won't let anyone through check-in without whatever Irish/UK governments require, they check when the boarder guards don't bother.
PureIsle

Post by PureIsle »

isha wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:27 pm Things may change from Tuesday 4 am, The Continental Op. I am not sure if Common Travel Area exemption will apply anymore between Ireland and UK. Perhaps it will continue to apply. But worth keeping an eye on.
It seems it will apply in UK but not in Ireland from what I hear.

Post by 490808 »

Happiness is a negative COVID PCR test :!:

Even if the ferry is going to be 12 hrs late :)

Post by 490808 »

I might write a book 101 things you can't do in Pembroke Dock on a wet and windy day when your ferry has been cancelled. It will be much longer than the sequel 101 things to do in Pembroke Dock :oops:

Post by 6456739 »

The Continental Op wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:05 am I'm travelling over to the UK to see my 89 yo mother this week just noticed that there is talk of reintroducing PCR tests for all people comming into the country. The potential of 14 days at home quaranteen isn't an issue for me.

I've no problem doing the test or paying for it but travelling by ferry makes it a pain. There is no where near to Pembroke Dock that does the testing and I have to travel to do the test and time it so I have the results back with time left to travel.

I'm going to have to book a test just in case because past expereince is that you have to book them up to a week in advance or risk not getting a test when you need it.

Annoying when last time PCR tests were in force a neighbor travelled back from the UK via Belfast to avoid any restrictions.

There are still no restrictions travelling to the UK.
PCR tests are now mandatory for everyone coming into Ireland, no?

Post by 490808 »

Yes and no :D if you have vaccine cert then you can do an official antigen test that provides a cert. Think they are cheaper and also much quicker with on the spot results.

PCR tests are valid for 72 hrs but antigen only 48.

With the ferry delays which are fairly common at this time of year I went with the PCR.

No vac cert only a PCR test is acceptable.

Plus of course a PLF passenger locator form.

Post by 490808 »

Passenger locator form has changed/evolved yet again they now ask for passport number and some details of your PCR test.

Post by 490808 »

Thank god for marinetraffic.com . I still have along wait but at least I can see that the Blue Star 1 has left Rosslare on time and is heading in my direction.

Post by 490808 »

Small change on the boarding checks. Seems all they want to see is the COVID test result. Previously they checked you had filled in a PLF and wouldn't let you board without one (lrish Ferries Pembroke Dock to Rosslare).

Post by 490808 »

A final update as I'm back home. It was intersting getting off the ferry. Having got a PCR test I thought that would be checked? I also thought that my PLF would be checked but no the Garda doing the checking was far more interested in my Vaccine Cert.

Now the interesting thing is that as soon as he had scanned the Vaccine Cert with his mobile phone he started talking to me by my christian name. I'm not suggesting any conspiracy theory at this time but obviously the app the Guards have allows them access to info stored with the Vaccine Cert.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/covid-19 ... s-22419984

5 antigen tests in 5 days after arrival. Not compulsory but something or other? Official ones ya pay for, or can you spit test in your own house?

Post by 490808 »

isha wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:56 am https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/covid-19 ... s-22419984

5 antigen tests in 5 days after arrival. Not compulsory but something or other? Official ones ya pay for, or can you spit test in your own house?
Thats about the most stupid thing I've read in awhile :roll:

Who is going to bother to do that on a voluntary basis? Give everyone a free pack of 5 tests when they arrive and ask them to test but expect anyone who has already paid for a certified antigen or PCR test to keep testing? It isn't going to happen. Thats from someone who has isolated a load of times after returning from the UK.

Voluntary doesn't work and sorry guys but it has to be said voluntary in Ireland never happens.

About the best I can come up with is compulsory testing on day 5.

The pathetic thing is the government is trying to keep Omicron out without further disruption when people are getting sick of the whole thing and starting not to bother anymore. I don't like them but IMO the only way is to have enforceable regulations that make it a total pain to travel unless you absolutely have to.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

The Continental Op wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:36 am Thats about the most stupid thing I've read in awhile :roll:

Who is going to bother to do that on a voluntary basis? Give everyone a free pack of 5 tests when they arrive and ask them to test but expect anyone who has already paid for a certified antigen or PCR test to keep testing? It isn't going to happen. Thats from someone who has isolated a load of times after returning from the UK.

Voluntary doesn't work and sorry guys but it has to be said voluntary in Ireland never happens.

About the best I can come up with is compulsory testing on day 5.

The pathetic thing is the government is trying to keep Omicron out without further disruption when people are getting sick of the whole thing and starting not to bother anymore. I don't like them but IMO the only way is to have enforceable regulations that make it a total pain to travel unless you absolutely have to.
Well I have a husband and a daughter to get back to me from abroad for Christmas so I do not want anything more than is logical and reasonable. And I don't want this only travel if you must stuff, it is getting old now. They do full PCR tests just before travel - I don't know how this latest additional suggestion is worthwhile. We do spit tests anyway before going places but 5 days in a row seems odd

Post by 490808 »

What we need is a transparent plan so if we travel we know what will happen if there is an escalation of transmissibility, Covid cases, covid cases in hospital or a new variant.

I don't want new ideas thought up on the spot (re: 5 days testing).

Two years in and the government should have a plan for every possible eventuality. If they don't wtf are they playing at - hiding under a rock? Someone with some brains must have thought out all the possible scenarios including the worst case scenarios. So why can't our stupid politicians take that list and decide before it all pans out exactly what the regulations that will be applied in each case and let us know.

Post by 490808 »

New regs here https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/77952 ... al-travel/
Passengers arriving from Great Britain are advised to undertake daily antigen tests for 5 consecutive days, beginning with the day of arrival (and to self-isolate immediately and seek a PCR test if they develop symptoms or have a positive antigen test).