Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

The Omicron tracker

All things COVID

Re: The Omicron tracker

Post by 490808 »

Probably not just Omicron but I guess thats the main factor we have reached this point.

Covid: Ireland set to confirm Nphet’s worst-case scenario case predictions
The latest data on positive swabs shows 21,847 detected the virus on Thursday – a 49.56 per cent positivity rate on the 44,081 tests carried out.
peasant
Verified Username

Post by peasant »

30.12. The Examiner ...further to the numbers above ...
Currently, 619 people are hospitalised with the virus, of which 88 are in ICU.
Hospital numbers now well north of 600 ..it was only two days ago that the 500 barrier was breached.
Unfortunately it looks like the worst case scenario prediction with >1500 hospitalised is no longer unlikely :(

...and the fudging also starts:
test capacity overwhelmed ...test less
too many people potentially missing from vital jobs ...isolate less
:mrgreen:
As the testing system comes under massive pressure, it is understood that his letter includes a recommendation that some limited groups should have a positive antigen test before they seek a PCR test if they have symptoms, or wait until symptoms subside with continued negative antigen tests.

Changes on the self-isolation period for people who have been boosted have also been put forward by the CMO, which would see the minimum time brought down to seven days for some people
Banshee Bones

Post by Banshee Bones »

peasant wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:28 pm 30.12. The Examiner ...further to the numbers above ...

Hospital numbers now well north of 600 ..it was only two days ago that the 500 barrier was breached.
Unfortunately it looks like the worst case scenario prediction with >1500 hospitalised is no longer unlikely :(

...and the fudging also starts:
test capacity overwhelmed ...test less
too many people potentially missing from vital jobs ...isolate less
:mrgreen:
HSE hospital beds crisis over new year, surely this is unprecedented, panic, panic

Meannwhile RTE are making a fortune from COVID ads that the taxpayer is footing the bill for
peasant
Verified Username

Post by peasant »

Banshee Bones wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:11 pm HSE hospital beds crisis over new year, surely this is unprecedented, panic, panic

All we're doing in this thread is track actual numbers vs initial predictions, we' ll leave the panicking to other threads. :mrgreen:
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I think (not sure) that peak hospitalisation previously has been 1900.

There are also about 50/50 of hospital admissions at just this moment FOR covid versus for other things but tested positive.

Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Samson

Post by Samson »

Two homes on my road have got it, 1 fully vaccinated and are ill, but nothing to worry about, the other house husband not vaccinated and wife is, wife ill and husband "its a mickey mouse cold", was talking to him as he put the bins out.
Anecdotal i know , but matches reports online, its a mild illness and even milder in the unvaccinated.
PogMoThoin

Post by PogMoThoin »

Samson wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:15 pm Two homes on my road have got it, 1 fully vaccinated and are ill, but nothing to worry about, the other house husband not vaccinated and wife is, wife ill and husband "its a mickey mouse cold", was talking to him as he put the bins out.
Anecdotal i know , but matches reports online, its a mild illness and even milder in the unvaccinated.
That's all the evidence we need contact CDC
peasant
Verified Username

Post by peasant »

31.12. The Journal
HEALTH OFFICIALS HAVE confirmed a further 20,110 cases of Covid-19 in this country.

As of 8am, 682 people were in hospital with the virus, 86 of whom were in intensive care.
peasant
Verified Username

Post by peasant »

01.01.2022 The Journal
HEALTH OFFICIALS HAVE confirmed a further 23,281 cases of Covid-19 in this country.

As of 8am, 656 people were in hospital with the virus, 85 of whom were in intensive care.
Higher incidence than yesterday, but lower hospital numbers
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

ICU lowest in 2 months and hospital covid cases 1077 people less than this day last year. Plus significant numbers of hospital cases are incidental findings of Covid.
Banshee Bones

Post by Banshee Bones »

isha wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:11 pm ICU lowest in 2 months and hospital covid cases 1077 people less than this day last year. Plus significant numbers of hospital cases are incidental findings of Covid.
and whats the RTE headline I hear you ask? "Christmas period sees more Covid cases than all of 2020"

Other news: Government showers huge sums of taxpayers money on RTE for covid ads, Dr Hulahoop warns that waves of even more panicky headlines are coming in new year :|

Post by 490808 »

Banshee Bones wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:26 pm and whats the RTE headline I hear you ask? "Christmas period sees more Covid cases than all of 2020"

Other news: Government showers huge sums of taxpayers money on RTE for covid ads, Dr Hulahoop warns that waves of even more panicky headlines are coming in new year :|
Even if Omicron isn't currently hospitalising as many as Delta it seems that it is so transmissible that there may be enough of it to lead to more ending up in hospital. Its always been a numbers game but hopefully Omicron is stacking the number is favour of the punters.
peasant
Verified Username

Post by peasant »

02.01. The Mirror ... for a change
There have been 17,071 further cases of Covid-19 confirmed in Ireland today by the National Public Health Emergency Team (NPHET).

The Department of Health says there are now 717 people in hospital, of which 87 are in ICU.

It adds that the case data is provisional "given the current high incidence".
Hospital numbers over 700 now after yesterday's dip
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

peasant wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:42 pm Hospital numbers over 700 now after yesterday's dip

Total Admissions Sunday - 118
Covid Admissions 70
Hospital Detected 48

Post by 490808 »

DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Genuine question - are there still colds ???

I’m feeling like boiled over shite at the minute but I was a Covid OG (I asked a young person if I got that right!!).

In April 2020 I waited for the sweet release of death - last few days it’s not that bad.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane

Post by 490808 »

Hard to say what I have, sorish dry throat, streaming nose and cough but its not Covid at leasts antigen tests and a PCR don't think so.

Part of it is an allergy to something like hay fever so antihistamines keep the nose under control but the cough is a bit of a pain.

There definitely are colds and flu around still but the only problem you'd probably catch Omicron more easily.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

Antigen tests are about as useful as a chocolate teapot. Only 54% of positive antigen were confirmed by PCR.

Apparently the Lidl ones are particularly high for false positives.
peasant
Verified Username

Post by peasant »

03.01. from breaking news Ireland
Over 6,000 healthcare staff are understood to be on Covid-related leave as the health system braces for a sharp surge in hospitalisations.

As reported by the The Irish Times, the high number of absentees is due to staff isolating after contracting the virus or being deemed a close contact.

Sources say the number of absent staff has increased dramatically from the 3,800 noted before Christmas and has surpassed the 5,000 high reached during the January 2021 surge. Exact figures for current absentee rates are expected to be published by the HSE later this week.
I would reckon that other critical services and supply chains have similar absentee issues
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

peasant wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:30 pm I would reckon that other critical services and supply chains have similar absentee issues
The Gardai are struggling with numbers as are Iarnród Éireann and Dublin Bus.

My own Mrs is general manager of a healthcare company with 330 staff. 66 are out today with covid or as close contacts.
peasant
Verified Username

Post by peasant »

03.01. today's numbers from The Journal
HEALTH OFFICIALS HAVE confirmed an additional 16,986 new cases of Covid-19 in Ireland today.

As of 8am, 804 people were in hospital with the virus, 93 of whom are in intensive care.
Hospital numbers have risen again > 800 now.
So the dip from two days ago unfortunately was just a blip
The latest figures come in the wake of warnings from NPHET that the PCR testing system has been overwhelmed by the volume of the disease in the country, and that the true volume of cases is up to 40% higher.
Banshee Bones

Post by Banshee Bones »

peasant wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:29 pm 03.01. today's numbers from The Journal

Hospital numbers have risen again > 800 now.
So the dip from two days ago unfortunately was just a blip
Would there be any figures on how many hospitalised due to Covid rather than hospitalised "with" Covid

Post by 490808 »

Just spotted this article about Irish schools going back but I thought it was worth posting here because it has an excellent graph of daily case numbers from the vary start of the pandenic back in Feb 2020.