Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Nursing Home resident home and covid restrictions

All things COVID
Santan
Verified Username

Nursing Home resident home and covid restrictions

Post by Santan »

Hi can anyone tell me if they are having the same issues as our family with regards to visiting the parents in a resident care home. We are only allowed 3 visits per week, 1 person at a time and strictly 1 hour. Parents are not allowed outside or window visits from grand kids, we are not allowed take out parents out for a meal and another really hard point is no visits are allowed in private they must be in the common areas which makes talking about private health matters so complicated as the parents are very sensitive to talking openly with someone 2 meters either side.
I have read all the hse guidelines and from Gov.ie but the management are adamant they are within their rights to not allow us the rights outlined by the Government.

Many thanks for any help
kadman
Verified Username

Re: Nursing Home resident home and covid restrictions

Post by kadman »

I feel for you at the moment. My own brother inlaw has cerebral palsy and is confined to a wheelchair.
Ho goes weekly to a wheelchair daycare centre to use their computer to stay in touch with his friends. He is also fully vaccinated.
he has now been told he can only use the computer for one hour , every five weeks. he is devastated naturally enough.
The weakest in society seem to be paying a heavy burden.
Loueze
Verified Username

Post by Loueze »

Do you have a copy of the "Contract of Care" or terms and conditions that you or a family member would have signed when your parents moved into the nursing home?

You need to read this document carefully. My mother was a resident in a nursing home up until last year when she passed from Covid19.

I was very shocked to discover that we as her family had virtually no say in decisions made for her medical care when she fell ill and that all final decisions lay in the hands of the NH doctor.

If your parents nursing home are limiting visits and the type of visits on the basis that it's for infection control / prevention I don't know if there is much you can do about it unless you're prepared to take them out of the nursing home.
Santan
Verified Username

Post by Santan »

Thanks will definitely look in to this contact this week, I just can't understand how one of these homes can just decide what rules they want to follow when the restrictions are relaxed, but when they were tightened they followed them to the t, constantly quoting said rules, feels like power has gone to their heads and they take joy with the level of control they have, can't believe we find ourselves in the situation of having someone dictate to us who our family can see.
ohnonotgmail
Verified Username

Post by ohnonotgmail »

with my mother there are set visiting times and they must be booked in advance. Each visit is a max of an hour. not restricted to just one visitor thankfully and we mostly do them in her room for privacy. When we are in her room we are allowed to take off masks if we are fully vaccinated.
RTrew

-

Post by RTrew »

I was recently vaccinated with J&J, a single-shot anti-COVID vaccine. But they couldn't tell me how long it will protect me. What do you think? When will the next shot be necessary?