Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Are people (Christmas) shopping as if there will be another lockdown?

All things COVID

Are people (Christmas) shopping as if there will be another lockdown?

Post by 490808 »

Local town (Dungarvan) has been mad all week. Went in early today (9:30) and all the parking full. Managed to get space eventually a bit further out of town. Aldi and Lidl doing good business with most if not all the checkouts on (and off you know what they are like). Dunnes, people were queued up (Covid in store numbers limit) the length of the shopping center on both sides.

My only conclusion is that people must be stocking up in case there is another lockdown and won't be able to get to the shops again until early February?
peasant
Verified Username

Re: Are people (Christmas) shopping as if there will be another lockdown?

Post by peasant »

The last days before Christmas have always been mad, with people shopping like the shops were closing down forever ...nothing new there really.

I've always tried to avoid said rush by shopping the previous week, same this year. So I don't have to go out in the big rush, especially not now when you're likely to get a dose of omicron thrown in for free.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

The Continental Op wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:36 pm My only conclusion is that people must be stocking up in case there is another lockdown and won't be able to get to the shops again until early February?

A guy from An Post was on the radio this morning saying that parcels are up 40% on 2019 but down on 2020 suggesting that more people are shopping in bricks and mortar this year than online. He also said the peak has been much later this year which might explain your experience.

I haven't seen any sign of people preping for lockdown but I have seen a few tweets from the UK saying "the toilet roll panic" is on the way back.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

But sure food shopping was always a priority in previous lockdowns, you wont be stopped from essential things like that.

Post by 490808 »

Scotty wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:58 pm .....

I haven't seen any sign of people preping for lockdown but I have seen a few tweets from the UK saying "the toilet roll panic" is on the way back.
Only noticed last week that we were finally using toilet rolls I bought when this all started two years ago. We didn't have a massive stock or anything just two extra packets that have sat on a top shelf for the last two years :oops:

Post by 490808 »

kadman wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:01 pm But sure food shopping was always a priority in previous lockdowns, you wont be stopped from essential things like that.
I'm not sure people think like that? Queueing has never been an Irish thing the brits do it much better but we've got a bit like Soviet block peoples who used to join a queue to see whats at the other end of it. Tell everyone that the town is busy and they'll go themselves so they don't miss out on anything.

I've been in the shops the week before Christmas every year for donkeys years and this year definitely seems busier.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Busier now, because the festive season with all the booze is gonna need more jacks roll thats all :lol:
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

peasant wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:56 pm The last days before Christmas have always been mad, with people shopping like the shops were closing down forever ...nothing new there really.

I've always tried to avoid said rush by shopping the previous week, same this year. So I don't have to go out in the big rush, especially not now when you're likely to get a dose of omicron thrown in for free.
I did that too, got the dry goods shopping, but fruit, vegetables and dairy have to be got closer to Christmas. There are 8 adults in the house today, increasing to 10 over the week, so no way to get all stuff needed last week.
It was very busy this morning in the supermarket but a list and determination helped. It was funny because I was saying to the Indian lady at the checkout about the amount of stuff you need to feed so many and she told me all about her multi generational family in her house which has 7 adults always in residence and 3 small children. 👀👀😊 She said the key is everyone MUST help! Seen as they are on the beer already, it looks like there's fat chance of that.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

That Indian lady sounds like my kind of bean an tí! :mrgreen: The rule in this house is: "if you're old enough to toddle, you're old enough to help with the catering (but woebetide anyone who decides to help with the cooking uses a metal implement on my non-stick pans :evil: ).

Shopping for the fêtes de fin de l'année was completed on Saturday. All dry goods; fruit, dairy and veg are either in the fridge, the freezer or in the garden - most of it in the garden. We don't have any hungry hordes this year, but when they do descend, they know now to go out and dig their dinner before they start on the beer! :lol:
JONJO THE MISER

Post by JONJO THE MISER »

Dunnes was thronged tonight, was closing at 10pm but at 9:30 there were full trolleys down all aisles.
Went to lidl, was dead only 1 till open it was so quiet.
Tesco was busy but nowhere neat Dunnes.
Aldi was very busy as well.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Dunnes (Enniscorthy) heaving this morning at 8am - I didn't stay. Local butchers also had a non-moving queue at 8.05am. This normal on Christmas Eve but not the 23rd.
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 490808 »

Wife just home from town she went in at 8.30am and Dunnes already had queues out the shopping center doors and around the block.

Aldi and Lidl busy but not overrun.

Think we are stocked up and won't actually need to leave the house for the next fortnight. I know there are no plans to do any shopping next week.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I have plenty of toilet roll in stock and I suppose there might be some nutritional value in that if things go pear shaped.
'no more blah blah blah'
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Dunnes here is open until 2.00am (was yesterday as well)
Wasn't there but heard queues were an hour to get in. Car park chaos. Massive wait for checkouts. Like Dawn Of The Dead.
Tesco not as good a supermarket so much quieter.
I was in Super Valu at 8.45am this morning to buy a few bits and no queues.
JONJO THE MISER

Not a box of chocolate Kimberley to be found anywhere had to settle for chocolate mikado, have never tried them so hopefully there ok.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

JONJO THE MISER wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:12 pm Not a box of chocolate Kimberley to be found anywhere had to settle for chocolate mikado, have never tried them so hopefully there ok.
You wont like them, they taste like crap...................when will i collect them :lol:

Post by 490808 »

What is it with the love for queueing for Dunnes :?
JONJO THE MISER

The Continental Op wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:39 pm What is it with the love for queueing for Dunnes :?
I think its all the vouchers, I had a 10 euro off 30 one and I think all the charities are giving out Dunnes food vouchers this year and a few small employers as well.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Not getting caught twice I was through the doors at Dunnes at 7am this morning and out with the final two heavy bags of shopping by 7.10am by which time the place was already quite busy! Will be giving the place a wide berth for the next couple of weeks.
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 765489 »

Was in the local shopping centre last night. Has both a Supervalu and a Dunnes. Supervalu very quiet, Dunnes had queues going up all isles. Reluctantly done my shopping in Supervalu as I find the quality of the veg sh1te compared to Dunnes.

Anyone find turkeys really expensive this year ? Possibly due to the bird flu. The butcher was selling turkey crowns for 75 euros !