Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Schools - should they go back?

All things COVID

Schools - should they go back?

Post by 490808 »

Omicron wave: Government faces standoff with teaching unions over schools reopening

I tending to side with the teachers for a change. If we are likely to have a peak of covid cases due to Christmas and New Year celebrations in the next couple of weeks why not postpone schools going back until after the peak?
Scotty

Re: Schools - should they go back?

Post by Scotty »

Because there's a vast amount of HSE staff (6,000) off with Covid at the moment. If you close the schools it means a huge amount more staff staying at home to mind the kids. I don't think the health system could take it, then you have gardai and other essential services in the same boat.

Post by 490808 »

Good point but would keeping the kids out of school stop even more HSE staff getting Covid?
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

Hmm, I don't know. NPHET will tell you the outbreaks aren't happening in school, they're happening at mid term break, parties, etc, etc. But I still think the main reason the schools are being kept open is to provide child minding.
Frank

Post by Frank »

If things are as bad as we're being led to believe then they can't open. If they do open then what's the point of people staying away from each other or avoiding shops like we're being told to?

Post by 490808 »

Looks like they are going back come what may https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/rul ... 37593.html
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

The Continental Op wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:45 pm Looks like they are going back come what may https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/rul ... 37593.html
I think childrens health has paid a disproportionate price in many ways throughout the pandemic, for the sake of other sections of society.
And the years ahead will be a testing time for their mental health especially. Must say my heart goes out to them in all this.

Post by 95438756 »

The Continental Op wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:45 pm Looks like they are going back come what may https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/rul ... 37593.html
Discussed now ( 18:10) on drivetime. Sin Féin spokesperson being interviewed on his take on Minister for Education Norma Foley's conference today with INTO.

I'm not really sure if Sinn Féin has anything positive to contribute in all of this though.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

kadman wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:01 pm I think childrens health has paid a disproportionate price in many ways throughout the pandemic, for the sake of other sections of society.
And the years ahead will be a testing time for their mental health especially. Must say my heart goes out to them in all this.
pfft, I've two teenagers myself and several niblings under 10 and they haven't batted an eye lid through the whole thing. Water off a ducks back.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Scotty wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:45 pm pfft, I've two teenagers myself and several niblings under 10 and they haven't batted an eye lid through the whole thing. Water off a ducks back.
Good for you.
I'll tell that to family members who have children that need sna, where the services were curtailed, and health services withdrawn during this, i'm sure they will be impressed.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Just thinking. I wonder how much the teachers themselves did to help the schools open? Did they restrict their movements and follow the public health advice for the previous week or so in order to make sure they didn't catch Covid or be a close contact so they could go back to work?

I know of plenty of people (myself included) who restricted their plans and movements over Christmas so they COULD go back to work in Jan.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

kadman wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:05 pm Good for you.
I'll tell that to family members who have children that need sna, where the services were curtailed, and health services withdrawn during this, i'm sure they will be impressed.
Impressed with what? It's my opinion that schools and SNA services should stay open.

Post by 490808 »

Scotty wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:44 pm Impressed with what? It's my opinion that schools and SNA services should stay open.
Our SNA services are so poor that I doubt the little provision there is will be much affected?

Unless its changed in the last few years the system is controlled by underfunding at all levels.
Samson

Post by Samson »

If the teachers want to close the schools let them , but on the one condition they do not get paid, see how many want a school shut down that could go on for several months.
Money talks, those so worried about covid stay home and don’t get paid. Reckon it would be less than 5% of teachers.

Post by 490808 »

Rolling class closures likely as schools report 'incredibly difficult' first day back
Schools reopened yesterday after the Christmas break, with many principals reporting that 30% to 40% of children did not turn up for class.
The Association of Secondary Teachers in Ireland estimated that 15% to 30% of staff were absent while the Irish Primary Principals' Network reported that schools were down 20% to 25% of staff.
So what was the point of sending the kids back to school? I really doubt much in the way of education will have gone on under those conditions?