Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Prophylaxis and Treatment

All things COVID
PureIsle

Prophylaxis and Treatment

Post by PureIsle »

In the absence of a recommended treatment for Covid (is a vaccine a 'treatment'?) or recommendations for substances to prepare the body for a viral attack, people have resorted to the use of the internet to get recommendations.

There are lots of recommendations on line, but there seems to be agreement that early treatment helps greatly to reduce the severity of the illness.

All would seem to agree that carrying extra fat is detrimental, and that eating a healthy diet with exercise is very beneficial.

In addition most recommend supplementation to maintain good blood levels of
OH-Vitamin D ...... supplement with Vitamin D3, especially during Winter. The minimum level usually mentioned is that which is believed to prevent Rickets. A much higher level is suggested to help against a viral attack.
Vitamin C
Zinc

The above appear to be the most commonly recommended items to keep track of.
Also of course some doctors include Ivermectin and Hydroxychloroquine in their individual protocols as well as various other substances.

Also, as can be seen from this example, differences exist in the protocols suggested for different health levels of the patients.
https://www.thedesertreview.com/news/dr ... 6c181.html

There are of course lots of similar pages with varying protocols and recommendations.
The most important appears to be to be good health.

Of course that is not always possible.
People have differing reasons for not being able to exercise or eat healthily, especially in the last two years, due to various factors. So health status might well have deteriorated and fat added.

It should be pointed out also that such protocols are not a replacement for other treatments but in addition to them, provided there is no clash of medications.

None of the above is presented as recommended by me or meant in any way to be read as medical advice.
It is posted for discussion and the airing of opinions on the idea of treating an illness (Covid), and how some are doing so.

Personally I was shocked early in the pandemic that the daily bulletins from the government and our health gurus, never mentioned anything about good health and how to prepare for an infection should it happen.

At that time I did the best I could for me ---- searched on line to see what was recommended by doctors and eventually decided on my own supplementation regime to do the best I could.

Have others done similar or maybe regarded all that as quackery?
JayZeus
Verified Username

Re: Prophylaxis and Treatment

Post by JayZeus »

It's all absolute waffle when it's not advised to you personally by an appropriate qualified medical practitioner in the context of your personal diagnosis and individual health status.

The recommendation to maintain as healthy a state of body and mind is one that's universally valid and should be well received by anyone with a concern for their own wellbeing, but taking multivitamins isn't going to prevent a Covid-19 infection, nor will it prevent development of a serious instance of disease for those who have been hospitalised. It makes good sense to look after yourself, with or without Covid-19 on the loose, but some Vitamin D3 isn't going to keep you out of hospital. You should take it, yes, but for different reasons entirely.

At the end of the day, the internet is a bloody useless place to go looking for factual information and guidance regarding such serious matters as potentially life threatening illnesses. Only a fool would place any faith in the pure crap that's been written by people who have no accountability or responsibility to you for the outcome, after following their crap blog/vlog/self-promotional BS.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I am not great at taking supplements because I don't take much synthetic really eg headache or cough meds or even caffeine etc. Have used my own herbal tea mixes for decades.
But with this I take 4000 to 5000 iu Vit D3 and 100mcg Vit K2 derived from natto most days. Vit D is a good place to start. The studies are conclusive. Vit D needs some K2.

Magnesium helps with Vit D utilisation so I sometimes take 500 mg Magnesium Glycinate also. But generally try to get Magnesium in food like nuts, brown rice, dark leafy greens and I use Epsom salt footbaths, salts in bath and as shower scrub I make up a scrub of epsom salts mixed with little almond oil and some essential oils. In passing Geranium, Lemon and Raventsara oils have shown anti viral promise.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32575476/

More irregularly I take Zinc and Quercitin which is a zinc ionophore, maximising zinc availability. Apples have good quercetin and onions, garlic, parsley, berries, other things. I drink lots of nettle tea anyway which is a good tonic, plus I just recently discovered that Oat Straw, one of my regular daily herbs, generates nitric oxide in circulatory system and nitric oxide is being looked at in covid treatment. So an incidental score for me ๐Ÿ˜Š .
I have a honey turmeric mix I take the odd teaspoonful of when I occasionally remember. I make it every winter and keep in fridge- google golden honey for recipes. Turmeric, or curcumin, is showing promise re covid. It benefits from bit of black pepper added to absorb the turmeric. Its a good general tonic.

I whack in high dose Vit C the very odd time, like if I have a sniffle and I keep a supply for needs. Echinacea if I need it. Use the Angustifolia version rather than the commonly available Purpurea as it is much stronger - I get from Baldwins online pharmacy. But they are having trouble getting liquids into Ireland of late - I did a stock up of herbs last year. I am an AMATEUR self taught herbalist. A health food shop might be able to get Echinacea Angustifolio for you through their suppliers.

On hand for covid I have Ivermectin, prescribed by a doctor, also I have Aspirin, Melatonin, simple antihistamine like Cetirizine. There the basics. You can use extra quercetin and zinc and vit c. Also NAC and Lysine, but just on hand these last 2 as incidentals I have heard good things about. Not sure what I would use when I need.
Mouthwash with chlorhexidine. Would use saline neti for nasal dilution of viral load.

Walking about, getting sunlight, these are also prophylactics and important treatments if unwell. The walking about helps alleviate micro clotting that can happen with this fcuker.

I have an oxygen monitor for finger.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...

Post by 765489 »

Jaysus Isha, I thought my friend who goes for his liver clean out and wheat grass shots was a health icon. ๐Ÿ˜œ

Keep eating the apples anyway. I'll have loads of them here for ya in three years :mrgreen: Gubu rates.

My body just runs on caffeine :?
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Ncdjd2 wrote: โ†‘Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:41 am Jaysus Isha, I thought my friend who goes for his liver clean out and wheat grass shots was a health icon. ๐Ÿ˜œ

Keep eating the apples anyway. I'll have loads of them here for ya in three years :mrgreen: Gubu rates.

My body just runs on caffeine :?
Im not a health freak. I just drink herbs instead of caffeine and am mostly vegetarian. And just use home remedies for what ails me if I need them. That means I generally take way way LESS into me by way of stuff than most others do. At the moment Vit D and K are my only DAILY adds to normal herbs and food.

I am horribly allergic to caffeine. Last time I had black tea was of necessity at a funeral years ago when I could not refuse the bereaved lady. Yup, full on adrenaline rush ๐Ÿ˜Š

Post by 765489 »

isha wrote: โ†‘Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:47 am Im not a health freak. I just drink herbs instead of caffeine and am mostly vegetarian. And just use home remedies for what ails me if I need them. That means I generally take way way LESS into me by way of stuff than most others do. At the moment Vit D and K are my only DAILY adds to normal herbs and food.

I am horribly allergic to caffeine. Last time I had black tea was of necessity at a funeral years ago when I could not refuse the bereaved lady. Yup, full on adrenaline rush ๐Ÿ˜Š
A lady used to drop into me once or twice a year to pick elderflower and hawthorn leaves / fruit around the fields. She used to give me a couple of bottles of cordials. They were very nice and she'd tell me the health benefits of the ingredients. Very interesting but haven't seen or heard from her since covid started for some reason.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Ncdjd2 wrote: โ†‘Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:11 am A lady used to drop into me once or twice a year to pick elderflower and hawthorn leaves / fruit around the fields. She used to give me a couple of bottles of cordials. They were very nice and she'd tell me the health benefits of the ingredients. Very interesting but haven't seen or heard from her since covid started for some reason.
Wasn't me ๐Ÿ˜‚ though I do do that kind of weird stuff.

Post by 765489 »

isha wrote: โ†‘Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:15 am Wasn't me ๐Ÿ˜‚ though I do do that kind of weird stuff.
Do you go nuts when you see horsetail :D ? She was also mad into collecting horsetail for some sort of skin cream she used to make.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Ncdjd2 wrote: โ†‘Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:22 am Do you go nuts when you see horsetail :D ? She was also mad into collecting horsetail for some sort of skin cream she used to make.
I could go absolutely fcukin nuts when I see horsetail as it has invaded and over run my polytunnels and is impossible to get rid of. I have had to learn to co-exist with the damn thing. But I also use it in hair rinses and it is good as a liquid manure steeped long in rain water for pouring on plants that have more shade or too much damp than they like. Horsetail is one of the oldest plants on earth hence its blasted resilience. Silica.
PureIsle

Post by PureIsle »

I was not familiar with horsetail, although I had see its tea mentioned, and never knew what it looked like.

I was just now prompted to go search and found this pic

https://i.etsystatic.com/25590288/r/il/ ... 8_20e1.jpg

Now I know what is being referred to, and yes I agree it goes rampant to the detriment of just about all else.
I just never knew the name of what I considered a weed ...... although it is apparently a fern. :D

Post by 316670 »

We all know what the best preventive steps are to avoid serious Covid and basically 90% of all health problems, but for whatever reason we don't make it priority number 1 in the nations health policy and that is for people to loose the extra fat on their bodies, its 100% provable that excess fat increases health problems, but feck all is done to promote, dare i say it, the lean muscular look, too many fat people in the country, now i'm far from lean and muscular, but know it would be of huge benefit to be that way, so why is the state not doing everything to make it easier to obtain, how you say?
Well we see they have put a minimum price on alcohol so why not on empty calories like Chocolate, Sweets, Crisps, fizzy drinks and all the junk food?
It would appear the government is too interested in the VAT they get from all these that the health of the nation.
If one good thing can come out of Covid it should be a frank discussion on the increase in obesity in Ireland, its off the charts, Ireland has the second highest rate of obesity in the European Union, with more than a quarter of the adult population classified as such, and its these fatties that Covid is killing.
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ ... .4627783

Remember the official line is eggs are bad for you as told by so called health advisors to government.
Belgium health minister is the woman in the photo