Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Shanghai

All things COVID
simone
Location: remember me in the months ahead, and how i was correct

Shanghai

Post by simone »

The Chinese have apparently lost the plot in Shanghai, zero covid has everyone ordered to stay home, problem is people are running out of food and can’t get any resupplies, reports of people phoning the police for help and being told by the police no food available, some even asking if they break the law will they be arrested and given food, police reply you might as well be at home and starving as locked up and starving, there is no food.

If they Chinese are going so hard on covid, what do the Chinese know about covid that we don’t?

Omicron is the strain in Shanghai, we know it’s mild, so why so strict?

Is this just an excuse to restrict exports and put the boot in on the USA and EU, drive up inflation in these two markets , but not openly, do it covertly and blame covid?

Supercell
Verified Username

Re: Shanghai

Post by Supercell »

Starting in Guangzhou too in the south. All 18 million people there have to be tested twice every 24 hours for the next week.
My wife's family live there and there's panic that its going to be locked down like Shanghai next.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I know you like the out there stories, and that's no skin off my nose. You talk about the stuff that polite society prefers to ignore. Sometimes you exaggerate or get it wrong, but sometimes not.

I have to say that watching the way things are in the world right now there is just so much that is bizarre, and Shanghai is among the more bizarre stories in the present moment.

People appear to be literally locked up to starve in their homes. People have no access to medication. I have heard fines are being applied directly to bank accounts if people go out of their homes.
The quarantine camps look absolutely disgusting. Massive warehouses full of crappy beds piled in on top of each other, with washing and lavatory facilities consisting of acres of portaloos and sinks that can barely accommodate the numbers needing washing. How can that ameliorate disease?
Children are being separated from their parents.
Domestic pets are being gathered up and killed. I have seen video of mesh bags full of struggling domestic cats on the pavements.
There are food riots breaking out there, and yet Shanghai is up to now a Chinese success story, very wealthy, an advanced metropolis and a global financial centre.
It is truly - and I am ending up using this word far too often these days - dystopian.

One thing we sometimes say here at home is what the hell do the Chinese know about this bloody virus that we don't know, that has them resorting to these atrocious measures.
Last edited by isha on Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Supercell wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:29 pm Starting in Guangzhou too in the south. All 18 million people there have to be tested twice every 24 hours for the next week.
My wife's family live there and there's panic that its going to be locked down like Shanghai next.
One of my children is heading for Taiwan soon - it scares me to be honest.
peasant
Verified Username

Post by peasant »

simone wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:38 am If they Chinese are going so hard on covid, what do the Chinese know about covid that we don’t?
Their own vaccines is pretty much useless and they haven't bought any others - hence the strict no-covid policy
simone wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:38 am Is this just an excuse to restrict exports and put the boot in on the USA and EU, drive up inflation in these two markets , but not openly, do it covertly and blame covid?
A tad far fetched, as it hurts them much more and much more immediately. Nothing is being exported, correct ...but there's also nothing coming in, nothing being made, nothing transported, nothing distributed ..the "no food" story might actually be true
simone

Post by simone »

Celchick wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:43 pm Why does the OP believe that this is true though when their whole thing is not believing what they're told?
Main stream media is full of propaganda, real people posting about Shanghai is a different story, look at the UK papers today, nothing about Shanghai, the big stories of Bucha and Kramatorsk railway station, swept under the carpet as they served their purpose, get the public angry, and quicky move on as they are exposed as lies.

Check it out yourself, massive backlog of transport ships building all along the Chinese coast, if its coming from China it wont be coming for a long time.
peasant
Verified Username

Post by peasant »

simone wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:26 pm ...look at the UK papers today, nothing about Shanghai...
Google News Ireland ...typed in "Shanghai" and ...surpriiiiise :mrgreen:
Capture Shanghai.JPG
Capture Shanghai.JPG (85.58 KiB) Viewed 5789 times
Supercell
Verified Username

Post by Supercell »

Lifts have been disabled in wife's family apartment building in Guangzhou, food only allowed to be ordered online. Kids schools shut, playgrounds fenced off, going full Shanghai in Guangzhou now (or at least the district they live in, Panyu).
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Supercell wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:05 am Lifts have been disabled in wife's family apartment building in Guangzhou, food only allowed to be ordered online. Kids schools shut, playgrounds fenced off, going full Shanghai in Guangzhou now (or at least the district they live in, Panyu).
Frightening.
quodec

Post by quodec »

What goes around comes around!
PureIsle

Post by PureIsle »

There are some horrendous videos on line ....... lines of trucks with fresh food cannot get into the city and even when they do there is no one to receive the food from the trucks.
One video seemed to show an apartment building having its doors locked by placing a heavy metal bar across it, while the residents are inside with little or no food.
Another I saw showed people committing suicide by jumping out of windows of apartment buildings.

It is really disturbing what can be viewed on line from peoples' phones.

Yes, isha, I have also seen a number of videos of people packed into warehouses on 'cots' and they were not even being tested for infection!
simone

Post by simone »

The videos that came out of China at the start of Covid where extreme and now we see Shanghai going crazy, but then we see videos like the following and you have to wonder if China is pushing a lie, some videos a crazy Covid crack down and then the following which looks very relaxed to say the least.
Hard to know what is real or fake coming from China regarding Covid

peasant
Verified Username

Post by peasant »

simone wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:03 pm ... you have to wonder if China is pushing a lie, some videos a crazy Covid crack down and then the following which looks very relaxed to say the least.
Hard to know what is real or fake coming from China regarding Covid
You do realise that china is a biiiig country with lots of different areas and that covid lockdowns only apply to a few select areas?

But yes ...basically you can't trust any news that come out of China re covid ...certainly not if they are issued by the government.

Post by 967543 »

Restrictions seem to have been "lifted" in Shanghai, still seems an absolute dystopian nightmare to be there though.
Need tests for everywhere and the QR code is only valid for a few hours ... absolutely bonkers
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

China has adbandoned this zero covid for a western style approach and talks already of hoping to limit deaths to 2 million........no about of mindless consumerism is worth that
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein