Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Deaths due to Covid Alone in Ireland

All things COVID
PureIsle

Re: Deaths due to Covid Alone in Ireland

Post by PureIsle »

isha wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:45 pm The only thing is you would have to find out what is the ''normal'' way of reporting/recording deaths in Ireland for CSO purposes (before covid). Perhaps it is ''normal'' to record cause of death as say Pneumonia or Bronchitis or Urinary Tract Infection when a person dies with cancer or dementia or advanced diabetes or whatever, if the actual triggering cause of death (proximate cause) was the infection in the lungs/kidneys. The infection may not have killed them otherwise but may be recorded officially as the primary cause.

I don't know if this is so..but it is likely, and you would need to know that to assess the information you have. I know that a significant amount of deaths generally worldwide are recorded as chronic respiratory disease. Such are common causes of death in people with comorbidities and the elderly.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1861157 ... nt%20event.
In this case the deaths as "classed" as Covid, but that is not apparently recorded on the death cert, if the wording from the CSO is correct.

I honestly am unsure what being "classified" means. By whom or where? It is not really clear to me.

I always understood that the death cert was the 'go to' for cause of death, and if Covid is not on those certs as a cause, then the conclusion must be that they were not killed by Covid but by whatever co-morbidity is on the death cert.

Until we hear otherwise from the CSO about that wording, this is the conclusion I draw.