Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Deaths due to Covid Alone in Ireland

All things COVID
PureIsle

Deaths due to Covid Alone in Ireland

Post by PureIsle »

There has been no discussion on this that I have seen, but for me it is a highly important topic.
Throughout the two years of the pandemic we have been inundated with numbers of positive tests and how many were in hospital with a positive PCR test and so on.

The numbers of deaths of people with positive PCR test have been blasted at us making most of us very afraid of being exposed to the virus, believing that the numbers quoted were deaths from Covid and not just people dying who also got a positive test.

At the same time some people have been tracking, as far as possible, the all-cause-mortality figures during the same period, and coming up with numbers that were, if memory serves me correctly, approx 600 for 2020.

So I was very interested to see the below image which gives numbers for 2020 and 2021 of people who died FROM Covid without any underlying co-morbidity.

As this is apparently from the CSO the numbers should be very accurate.

In short the number of deaths in Ireland from Covid alone were

61 in 2020
92 in 2021

These numbers would, in any sane environment, give pause to our public health measures, and should cause a re-think of policy, which was based on some model telling us that the virus was exceptionally deadly and multiple thousands would die from it.

Remember these numbers are from an environment where there was no treatment provided for those who contracted the virus and developed Covid disease. We can only speculate on whether some or all of those people could have been saved if treatment had been made available.

Anyway, that is past.
What for the future?
Are we to continue to inject healthy people in the hope it will reduce deaths?
Children too?
Pregnant women?

What the hell are we doing to ourselves?

By all means "offer" the jabs to all those who want them. Advise those with underlying health issues to take the jab, but the coercion that has been in play for a large part of the past two years is completely unwarranted based on the CSO figures.

As for mandates of any kind .... how could anyone possibly mandate anything at all for such a "pandemic" as this, which kills 153 people in two years?
Calling it a 'pandemic' is beyond sense.

So what do others think of these numbers and what they SHOULD mean to future public health measures against Covid?

Is this a hoax and I have been taken in?
If you know so please post some official link to provide a correction, thanks.

isha
Verified Username

Re: Deaths due to Covid Alone in Ireland

Post by isha »

I think the figures of those dying from covid with no other co-morbidity are correct as you have posted them; that info came from an official in the CSO.

I think covid did kill people with co-morbidities. It's like the way people who are sick with something else can die more readily from influenza, or pneumonia caused by it. And because it was a novel virus it caused more deaths for ill people than flu would have normally, as peoples immune systems had not encountered it before. Some well people died too,
well people die from things unfortunately. Covid out competed influenza the past couple of years here.

I think the threat from covid was exaggerated. Even Bill Gates says so now. But we didn't know in the first few months what was happening. However, pretty early on researchers like John Ioannidis of Yale had produced fairly good estimates of the Infection Fatality Rate. His research was suppressed. There was no honest reason why that should have happened.

Also the Great Barrington Declaration created by people like Dr Bhattacharya was suppressed. It advised directed protection towards vulnerable people, but leaving healthy and young people alone. This would have been better as the costs of lockdowns are enormous. And will continue to be. Mental health, children losing education, closure of local small businesses, missed diagnoses - it's terrible. Again no honest reason it should have happened.

A pre peer review study published at the start of this month says that harm benefits analysis of the vaccines should be done as their research shows that serious adverse events post vaccine outnumber the amount of people protected from hospitalisation due to covid. This is important for younger demographics.
Results: Pfizer and Moderna mRNA COVID-19 vaccines were associated with an increased risk of serious adverse events of special interest, with an absolute risk increase of 10.1 and 15.1 per 10,000 vaccinated over placebo baselines of 17.6 and 42.2 (95% CI -0.4 to 20.6 and -3.6 to 33.8), respectively. Combined, the mRNA vaccines were associated with an absolute risk increase of serious adverse events of special interest of 12.5 per 10,000 (95% CI 2.1 to 22.9). The excess risk of serious adverse events of special interest surpassed the risk reduction for COVID-19 hospitalization relative to the placebo group in both Pfizer and Moderna trials (2.3 and 6.4 per 10,000 participants, respectively).
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm ... id=4125239

People should never have been coerced to take the shots. People who were at risk of dying from covid should have taken them (by choice).

People died. Undoubtedly. It's really bad when a new germ shows up in the species. I hate it.

It's going to be with us now forever, a new cause of morbidity and mortality, a threat to elderly and unwell people like influenza etc is. And a source of sometimes significant illness to people in generally good health.

I honestly think we have to be patient to see the truth about deaths in Ireland and about stuff like the risk benefit of the gene therapy. It's a pain to have to wait. But bit by bit things are coming clearer.

Stop gain of function research.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
PureIsle

Post by PureIsle »

I honestly think we have to be patient to see the truth about deaths in Ireland and about stuff like the risk benefit of the gene therapy. It's a pain to have to wait. But bit by bit things are coming clearer.
Wait?
While we wait we might well have mask mandates reintroduced; more lockdowns; and all the bad that has been done repeated yet again.

Stephen Donnelly has begun to ramp up the rhetoric in the last day or so, being concerned about the number of "cases" and we have heard that sort of talk before!

Others like Germany are considering mask mandates from beginning of Autumn to end of Spring and other locations considering equally daft things.
I do not trust our politicians not to repeat what they have done before.
Do you?
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

PureIsle wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:14 pm Wait?
While we wait we might well have mask mandates reintroduced; more lockdowns; and all the bad that has been done repeated yet again.

Stephen Donnelly has begun to ramp up the rhetoric in the last day or so, being concerned about the number of "cases" and we have heard that sort of talk before!

Others like Germany are considering mask mandates from beginning of Autumn to end of Spring and other locations considering equally daft things.
I do not trust our politicians not to repeat what they have done before.
Do you?
They may very well try. But I'm not doing it next time. And I will go to jail for it, if necessary. Too many suffered during lockdown. I know one close person who killed himself. I lost a job I really liked as work dried up due to suspended projects and it has taken bloody ages to regroup. The powers that be overplayed their hands and I'm not going with them again.
PureIsle

Post by PureIsle »

OK, on the one hand we have an alleged pandemic of this virus, which on its own kills very few people who have not received any treatment.

Those numbers need to be made clear to the public and would be in a properly functioning society.

In addition to this clear information on deaths solely from Covid should be a 'health campaign' advising everybody how to stay healthy and improve their immune system.

For the already ill their doctors should be strongly advised to place emphasis on getting as resistant to viruses as possible given their peculiar health issues.

There is a lot of information available from peer reviewed articles and other studies sufficient to impart correct advice.
Our health gurus should be forced, somehow or other, to impart health advice for the healthy and to instruct medical personnel with guidelines for those with underlying issues.

There is no HEALTH reason not to do this. There might be other reasons.

Anecdote: I went to my doctor last week for a 'yearly' and had to insist on the blood test to include my Vit D levels. He actually argued with me, saying it was unnecessary, mentioning I was well above 30 nmol/l. I had to remind him I was not trying to prevent Rickets and wanted to monitor my levels as I am taking a supplement.
(he was a stand-in for my doc who is on maternity leave).

From my very limited experience, and listening to family members stories, I have lost almost complete faith in doctors when it comes to health issues.
I have the opposite view when it comes to surgery particularly of skeletal parts.

Essentially we need - badly - some good medics to run our health service and give guidance to our doctors.
For the past couple of years the service has been sorely lacking in anything to do with good health.
Last edited by PureIsle on Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PureIsle

Post by PureIsle »

isha wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:29 pm They may very well try. But I'm not doing it next time. And I will go to jail for it, if necessary. Too many suffered during lockdown. I know one close person who killed himself. I lost a job I really liked as work dried up due to suspended projects and it has taken bloody ages to regroup. The powers that be overplayed their hands and I'm not going with them again.
If they do it again individuals might well not play their game, but jobs as before will be impacted whether the employees play ball or not.

I really am concerned they will rinse and repeat.
It appears they know nothing else.
Well past time for a change ...... unfortunately I see no movement in that direction.
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

isha wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:29 pm They may very well try. But I'm not doing it next time. And I will go to jail for it, if necessary. Too many suffered during lockdown. I know one close person who killed himself. I lost a job I really liked as work dried up due to suspended projects and it has taken bloody ages to regroup. The powers that be overplayed their hands and I'm not going with them again.
I simply cannot believe they'll do it all again, if only for the reason that I think there are many out there like you will just not accept it again. On top of that there is too much evidence now suggesting lockdowns and masks etc didn't actually make much difference.

The one thing that does still worry me is the vaccine passports - I think there will be a fairly constant push to get everyone "up to date". The EU are talking about retaining digital certs for travel etc.

I guess there will be a little bit more pushback against this than the last time, but not much.

In reality all it would take to get the public on side is Pat Kenny foaming at the mouth about how the unvaccinated are lesser members of society shunning their civic duty and a few headlines of "50% of people in ICU are unvaccinated, they're going to break the health service"

And if numbers rise, and our politicians start hinting that the only way to avoid more lockdowns is more vaccinations, public opinion will be right behind them.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

schmittel wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:12 pm I simply cannot believe they'll do it all again, if only for the reason that I think there are many out there like you will just not accept it again. On top of that there is too much evidence now suggesting lockdowns and masks etc didn't actually make much difference.

The one thing that does still worry me is the vaccine passports - I think there will be a fairly constant push to get everyone "up to date". The EU are talking about retaining digital certs for travel etc.

I guess there will be a little bit more pushback against this than the last time, but not much.

In reality all it would take to get the public on side is Pat Kenny foaming at the mouth about how the unvaccinated are lesser members of society shunning their civic duty and a few headlines of "50% of people in ICU are unvaccinated, they're going to break the health service"

And if numbers rise, and our politicians start hinting that the only way to avoid more lockdowns is more vaccinations, public opinion will be right behind them.
I'm not sure, Schmittel. I genuinely know too many people who had reactions to the shots, whether small or big. They were all in favour but more people say they are not getting more. Plus the first injury payments are beginning to trickle in, and the stories of really bad injuries are getting some small attention. It will increase. Plus too much research is showing a very short effect and possible overstimulated immune systems. I just don't think they can push mandates any more.

Now polio mind you, that would be worrisome...is that where they are going?
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

isha wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:26 pm I'm not sure, Schmittel. I genuinely know too many people who had reactions to the shots, whether small or big. They were all in favour but more people say they are not getting more. Plus the first injury payments are beginning to trickle in, and the stories of really bad injuries are getting some small attention. It will increase. Plus too much research is showing a very short effect and possible overstimulated immune systems. I just don't think they can push mandates any more.

Now polio mind you, that would be worrisome...is that where they are going?
I really hope you're right. Maybe I've just spent too much time arguing with lunatics on the subject and missed the fact that normal people now realise how much horseshit the vaccines are!

Re polio, I don't get you - are you referring to the polio outbreak in the UK?
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

schmittel wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:30 pm I really hope you're right. Maybe I've just spent too much time arguing with lunatics on the subject and missed the fact that normal people now realise how much horseshit the vaccines are!

Re polio, I don't get you - are you referring to the polio outbreak in the UK?
Yeah. Maybe. Don't know yet. Not really thinking much about it yet, but still what the heck. Vaccine derived polio. Last case in UK was 1984. My son suggested we may just have hit a tipping point re population and spread of diseases. One thing for sure though we can't shut down for everything. This last pandemic seems to have ended with war 👀
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

isha wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:42 pm Yeah. Maybe. Don't know yet. Not really thinking much about it yet, but still what the heck. Vaccine derived polio. Last case in UK was 1984. My son suggested we may just have hit a tipping point re population and spread of diseases. One thing for sure though we can't shut down for everything. This last pandemic seems to have ended with war 👀
Same thing did occur to me myself TBH!

And also first case of cholera in Spain for about 50 years.
PureIsle

Post by PureIsle »

isha wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:39 pm I think the figures of those dying from covid with no other co-morbidity are correct as you have posted them; that info came from an official in the CSO.

I think covid did kill people with co-morbidities. It's like the way people who are sick with something else can die more readily from influenza, or pneumonia caused by it. And because it was a novel virus it caused more deaths for ill people than flu would have normally, as peoples immune systems had not encountered it before. Some well people died too,
well people die from things unfortunately. Covid out competed influenza the past couple of years here.
I agree that Covid did contribute to the death of people with co-morbidities, just as other viruses did in other years.

I have also wondered about that "Covid out competed influenza the past couple of years" which seems to be a commonly held theory.

An alternative theory is that the classification of the illness as Covid, in a large % of cases was solely on the results of a PCR test.
As we know, the PCR test is highly unreliable, and is not a diagnostic test.

There is some indication that the PCR test does not differentiate between flu and Covid and so mis-classification is the reason that flu disappeared from our stats.
It was present but mis-classified as Covid.

As all-cause-mortality numbers appear to indicate, we had the equivalent of a bad flu seasons, where those affected were those who would normally be affected by a bad flu season.
The vast majority were near end of life.

The trouble with thoughts such as above is that they are inclined to drive one into conspiracy theory land ......... but then one recalls all the 'conspiracy theories' which have proved true in the last couple of years, and one does a double take and asks of oneself is this yet another that could prove true? Namely that the majority of Covid related deaths were not Covid but some other infection.

... the mind wandering in places it should not go ...

isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Not Ireland. Deaths in Canada per day. Comparing the average weekly deaths over a week in JUNE 2020, 2021, and 2022. Thought you might be interested. Note the deaths in 2020 were from a variant of covid said to be more pathogenic. 2022 June figures from Omicron, said to be more transmissible, less virulent, and in a population which is 83-84% vaccinated.

Spoiler for those who don't want to read the tweets - June 2020 0% vaccinated 13 deaths average per day.
June 2021 22% vaccinated 13 deaths average per day
June 2022 83% vaccinated 22 deaths average per day.

PureIsle

Post by PureIsle »

I have to be honest and say that despite those numbers indicating a problem with the jabs, I am not comfortable with drawing any such conclusions.

There is way too much room for bias when using data such as "covid deaths". Also how does one take into account the false results from PCR tests which might well have been the determining factor in the classification as 'covid death'?

I would find a comparable analysis using "all cause mortality" numbers more acceptable.
Those numbers are real and cannot be subject to bias.
PureIsle

Post by PureIsle »

Robert Malone wrote about the BMJ analysis and indeed referenced the video/pdf from the Canadian COVID Care Alliance also linked above.
The bottom line is that the Pfizer Phase 3 trial which was used by NIAID, FDA and CDC to justify the emergency use authorization is pretty much a junk clinical trial which was inappropriately halted long before it even got close to meeting the intended follow up period, did not provide a sufficiently long follow up analysis of vaccination-associated adverse events, and in which the control group was intentionally eliminated. This resulted in basically erasing any opportunity to ever get to the bottom of what the major true risks of the Pfizer mRNA inoculations were. In terms of more minor risks, the study was not powered (not big enough) to evaluate those.
https://rwmalonemd.substack.com/p/pfize ... ysis-re-do

It is basically yet another call to the manufacturers to make public the raw data so independent analysis can be done on the data.

.... pissing into the wind .... is what comes to mind
Berties_Horse
Verified Username

Post by Berties_Horse »

That official (yes, anything emerging from the CSO is ironclad) number of 153 over 24 months makes for stark reading of a different variety. The public were absolutely hoodwinked into a state of irrational panic over what turned out to be a non-existent threat for those in reasonable health under 70. Hindsight is 20/20 naturally, however by the summer of 2020 those of us with our feet planted on the ground understood our lives were not in peril for the foreseeable future. Instead the hysteria was ramped up by a complicit media all too keen like an overeager puppy to please their masters in Holohan, Nolan & Glynn. You'll notice I left out 'government' because they outsourced responsibility to an unelected cabal of civil servants out of sheer cowardice.

Lockdowns were hardly ever questioned, the independent McNamara was a lone rational voice in the wilderness yet other public figures collected their bloated salaries and wagged a scornful figure at Joe Public. We were to blame for the perpetual calamity that is the HSE, Reid in particular relished the daily sermon admonishing us to do better. Shower of incompetent neanderthals. Will any of those clowns be held to account for the economic and psychological damage they inflicted on the nation? Hardly, a little sidestep into academia here and shimmy of a crony handout there. And you can be sure not a single publication or media outlet of repute will publish that 153 statistic because it threatens to derail the advertising gravy train. A shameful chapter in our recent history, and one we should never forget lest we are condemned to repeat ourselves ad nauseam every seasonal flu cycle.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire
PureIsle

Post by PureIsle »

I feel sick to the pit of my stomach each time I think of that 153 number.
Yes a number of us did not believe the numbers being rammed down our throats every day, but then it was not just Ireland, it was the same in almost every Western country. So when we we looking for comparisons we met a similar story selling huge amounts of fear.

It took huge effort and a lot of cynicism to find the nuggets of truth.
I latched on to all-cause-mortality as my anchor. Whenever I wavered it was to those figures I turned for reliable unbiased numbers.

Nevertheless I had to deliberately avoid all the messaging from officialdom else I would have been in a permanent state of agitation and anger.

Very early in 2020 I recall asking a friend, who was also a 'non believer' in the narrative, why he thought that countries like USA, GB, Russia and EU members, all decided to follow the example China set. These were countries that, for the most part, would not believe China if they said the Sun rose in the east, yet they imposed the Chinese way on us all, and did so without any delay , discussion or debate.

Besides being unable to provide a nice answer to my question, my friend and I agreed there must be some 'hand' pushing from behind. But that quickly becomes a conspiracy theory which was an unwelcome situation.

Now two years on I wonder about a lot of things which are no longer theories, but facts, and quickly begin to consider all other theories as being closer to fact than the official narrative. This is not a healthy situation.

After Covid we had alleged vaccines (the definition had to be changed to allow the jabs to be regarded as vaccines). It now appears that the worries expressed by those same few voices, who were correct for the most part about Covid, could prove true about the jabs also.

Before we could settle in to delve into those vax theories, we were hit by a war in Europe, and more fear spouted about it involving nukes (a definite possibility). Then as we were absorbing that possibility we had the monkeypox scare-mongering. That was slow to gain traction publicly and now the possibility of a polio epidemic is also being mooted.

I suspect that if my time was not my own I would have been too busy trying to keep my family afloat to be as definite as I was and am in my opinion on Covid, injections and other related matters.

It has been an amazing two years to sit here and watch it all.
I would not have believed it possible if I had not experienced it.

It is far from over though ..... whatever that 'IT' is ..... as it appears the EU is likely to maintain the vaccine/covid/green pass for another twelve months. Germany attempted to introduce masking for the Winter period, but has failed I think.

There must be a reason for this which is not being declared, as it quite obviously is not for public health reasons.

I find it very difficult not to theorise about the 'hand' behind all this and the reason/s for it. Some day soon I might give in.

isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

If it is any comfort to you, PureIsle, I feel gobsmacked by the last couple of years too. And my husband does also. And my best friend. And her husband. My kids have come round after initially calling me mad for not getting injected. They were scared for me - and I was scared for them! And now, it's like...what the hell happened.

It helps that people close to me share the astonishment. I'm left with not believing a single word the people in charge of things on the planet say, and with zero respect for any of them bar the very very few who tried to call a halt to the juggernaut. And some of those people are mad as bags of spiders too, there have been weirdos on all sides.

The coercion was brutal. The abandonment of old people in care homes was brutal. People being buried without proper respect and send offs was brutal.

I could just go on - lonely kids, lost education, missed diagnoses, teens who missed out on relationships, people freaking out about other people's breath, people literally hating and wishing harm on those who didn't want injections, not caring that neighbours jobs and careers were taken from them, it's all been bewildering. And to round it up with war, new pestilence, food shortages, inflation, nuclear threat, and endless fecking hysteria in the media. I don't know. What can we do? I'm not going to bang my head against a wall of mass obsession. Climb mountains. Swim in the sea. Write a dystopian novel maybe?
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Its no new thing that governments lie continuously to their populations, and will continue to do so. Fear keeps them in the driving seat, and us in control.
Same shit, just a different day. You wont be able to dissect it all to find the reason why, too many reasons and too many corporations having influence.
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

All cause mortality us also my "go to" stat.

The CSO also publishes good figures for principal causes of death which take longer to compile, I'm not sure if they are available for 2020 and 2021 yet. Every year, the bulk of deaths are unsurprisingly due to the Big 3 - maIignant neoplasms (cancers), circulatory diseases and respiratory diseases. Note that the latter includes flu and other respiratory infections in subcategories.

The number of deaths attributable to the big 3 does not change much from year to year. In the case of cancer, the number usually increases somewhat. If we were to see a decrease in the number of deaths attributed to cancer and circulatory disease during the pandemic while all cause mortality was stable or increased, alarm bells should go off as this would imply that deaths were being attributed to covid that should not have been.

I don't know if this is or isn't the case and I haven't looked at these stats recently.

In general though, there is great potential for misinterpretation of medical and public health stats. 5 year survival, lead time bias, overdiagnosis, stage migration (the Will Rogers phenomenon) etc.

Add to that the shameless fear mongering of the media. One of the most despicable examples recently was the injection spiking "story" as it became apparent that Covid fear was reducing. People were more aware of injections thanks to Covid vaccines and there was the awful Sarah Everard case, put these together and the media creamed themselves over a "horrible men going around niteclubs injecting women to rape and kill them" angle.
PureIsle

Post by PureIsle »

Maybe some are beginning to open theirs eyes (and minds) - I was sent this link today by a friend in Italy who has resisted the injections even though they were mandated for him under threat of prosecution. Like others here he said no, and was quite prepared to pay his fine if 'convicted'.
This would appear to indicate that there is some change happening in Germany with regard to the whole episode. as well as the wish it will also happen in Italy.
https://lanuovabq-it.translate.goog/it/ ... x_tr_tl=en

Is the house of cards beginning to crumble? I surely hope so, but expect it to be a difficult time for many. I cannot imagine how concerned I would be about my future health if I had taken the injection multiple times.

Sooner or later people are going to ask who/what was/is behind it all.
In the answer to that question we will again be in 'conspiracy theory land'. Maybe this time we will be able to have open, public discussion and debate on whatever theory is proposed.
I can only hope for such an environment.

PureIsle

Post by PureIsle »

I have been having another look at the pic of the numbers I posted in the opening post.
Each year has two sections . 'Virus Identified' and 'Virus Unidentified'.

I would normally understand the second to mean that these people died from some unidentified virus .... might be cold; flu; corona-sars2 virus or some other unidentified virus.

I find it difficult to believe I am interpreting the numbers in this way because what it then seems to show is that
2020 3 deaths from Covid (identified)
2021 3 deaths from Covid (identified)

None of the deaths of people 55+ years of age have the virus identified.
How then can they know it was from Covid they died and not from pneumonia caused by flu or other virus?

I really should not have gone back and looked at those numbers.
Having done so has caused me, yet again, to question their veracity.

... mind in turmoil ...

HELP!

PureIsle

Post by PureIsle »

Well those death numbers are indeed correct.
I have confirmed them with the CSO.
In 2020, there were 1,672 deaths were U071/U072 was the Underlying Cause of Death. Of these, 61 deaths had COVID-19 as the only narrative on the death certificate.
In 2021, there were 3,011 deaths were U071/U072 was the Underlying Cause of Death. Of these, 92 deaths had COVID-19 as the only narrative on the death certificate.
Those are direct quotes from the email I received today from the CSO misspellings included. (highlighting by me)

At least I know definitely I was not misinforming readers of this thread.
PureIsle

Post by PureIsle »

I have been looking at further implications of the full relevant text from the CSO, which I will now quote here
In 2021, there were 3,011 deaths were U071/U072 was the Underlying Cause of Death. Of these, 92 deaths had COVID-19 as the only narrative on the death certificate. The remaining 2,919 deaths had COVID-19 classified as the Underlying Cause of Death but also had only co-morbidities mentioned on the death certificate.

In 2020, there were 1,672 deaths were U071/U072 was the Underlying Cause of Death. Of these, 61 deaths had COVID-19 as the only narrative on the death certificate. The remaining 1,611 deaths had COVID-19 classified as the Underlying Cause of Death but also had only co-morbidities mentioned on the death certificate.
Taking 2021 Covid death numbers I get this meaning from what is written

3,011 Classed as Covid - total
92 Classed as Covid ; Covid alone on death cert.
2,919 Classed as Covid ; Only co-morbidities on death certs. (no Covid?)

Similar applies to 2020.

So now what does that tell us about the numbers?

What would your interpretation be of that?

If I am reading this correctly, and with the understanding that the CSO has not made a huge blunder, this is really SHOCKING!

I think "the CSO made a blunder" is the most likely explanation, TBH. I think I will write and ask for confirmation.

Please post your interpretation.

Thanks.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

The only thing is you would have to find out what is the ''normal'' way of reporting/recording deaths in Ireland for CSO purposes (before covid). Perhaps it is ''normal'' to record cause of death as say Pneumonia or Bronchitis or Urinary Tract Infection when a person dies with cancer or dementia or advanced diabetes or whatever, if the actual triggering cause of death (proximate cause) was the infection in the lungs/kidneys. The infection may not have killed them otherwise but may be recorded officially as the primary cause.

I don't know if this is so..but it is likely, and you would need to know that to assess the information you have. I know that a significant amount of deaths generally worldwide are recorded as chronic respiratory disease. Such are common causes of death in people with comorbidities and the elderly.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1861157 ... nt%20event.
Abstract
Pneumonia is the leading cause of death due to infectious disease in the elderly and the fourth most common cause of death overall. Streptococcus pneumoniae remains the main aetiological agent in community-acquired pneumonia. Aspiration pneumonia related to neuromuscular disease is also a frequent event. Pneumonia is the second most frequent hospital-acquired infection in long-term care facilities.