Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Covid Chat Fatigue

All things COVID
SeanCena

Re: Covid Chat Fatigue

Post by SeanCena »

Just my 2c, there is a discussion, and then there is people offering an opinion being confronted by fake screenshots, hundred word strawmen, and hyperbole beyond belief. I dont report because everyone is entitled to say what they want, but it just makes me disengage - i don't have the will or time to engage with those who are so entrenched in their belief that nothing short of Death itself writing a post would open their minds slightly.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Re: Will this place take over from Boards?

Post by CelticRambler »

How Soon Is Now wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:51 pm Its only now people are starting to talk about things out loud in the media and maybe start questioning the methods we have been ruled by for the last year or so but its a bit late now!

When you see how quickly they can change restrictions to suit there own feck ups it really does show pure arrogance. They know they can do what they like at the publics expense.
Yeah - but you're still talking about the here-and-now. The time to do this was five years ago. Or four years ago. Or even three years ago. Now it's too late. Both the general public and the politicians they elected (remember there have been several elections across Europe since this started) are in full reactionary mode, and you can see the impact of that in real time on discussion boards like this, on the 24-hour news channels, on the pronouncements from government, and yes, even in the publication of scientific studies.

That is 100% the wrong way to go about disease control. Funnily enough, the people tasked with running the "what if" scenarios within the last decade did run the "what if" scenarios, and general response was something along the lines of jayyyyziz :o so they reported it to The Powers That Be, whose general response was something along the lines of jayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyzizzzzz! So they buried it, and got us all to panic about brown-skinned immigrants shouting Allah Akbar! instead.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Oh no thats a whole other thread, here CR just for you

GrowlerG

Post by GrowlerG »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:22 pm Agreed, some topics will be very divisive, but once posters are civil to each other and don't start with the personal attacks or try to gang up on someone because its a controversial view I dont see the problem. At the end of the day its a discussion board so if you don't like a post you can either engage or disengage and move along to the next topic.

I think the bigger problem for GUBU if its being used to propagate a lot of disinformation, that links back to disreputable sources and conspiracy sites. As main stream companies like Facebook have flagged these as fake news and disinformation, GUBU could be be flagged similarly.
GrowlerG

Post by GrowlerG »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:00 pm I knew when gubs created that woodworking forum it was going to be nothing but trouble... 😜
The woodworking forum was never going to be plane sailing...
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

GrowlerG wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:49 pm The woodworking forum was never going to be plane sailing...
You never turned up for class. You are welcome vaccinated or not, we dont discriminate over there ;)
GrowlerG

Post by GrowlerG »

kadman wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:51 pm You never turned up for class. You are welcome vaccinated or not, we dont discriminate over there ;)
I hope so. You'd assume that forum would be all about making a square peg fit a round hole.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

GrowlerG wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:07 pm I hope so. You'd assume that forum would be all about making a square peg fit a round hole.
Just like Whackamole, if its hit hard enough, it will go in. :)
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Leave your vaccination cert at home, you wont need it. Just bring a tape and a pencil and we will find a spot for you :lol:
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

For the avoidance of doubt this is not mod advice, instructions, warnings whatever - I'm just chipping in with my 2c as it might be helpful to understand a bit better the thinking in the background.

Clearly the vaccination debate is a hot button issue, but largely I think both sides of the argument are discussing it sensibly and politely, which from a modding point of view is the most important thing - there is no correct opinion or party line here on the rights and wrongs of vaccination.

There has been only one vaccination thread that has given me serious pause for thought, but the stuff I was unhappy about was posted in early hours of the morning, and by the time I became aware of it the thread had moved on quickly to a rational discussion, so in that instance I chose to let sleeping dogs lie.

I am pretty happy that this has been a pattern. Sensible rational discussion has tended to dominate. So even if a thread may have been started in order to rabble rouse, it has not had the desired effect.

It is hoped that this will be a site for sensible, rational, intelligent and considerate discussion and debate. An important part of that is having people who disagree with each other! As long as you are not trolling, being deliberately offensive for the sake of it, or spamming it, you will not be modded on here for having an opinion. All we ask is that you express it with due consideration for others.

To be honest my biggest gripe about the vaccine chat is there are about half a dozen threads all saying the same thing! I am going to create a megathread now, and hopefully we can keep most of it in one place.
GrowlerG wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:44 pmI think the bigger problem for GUBU if its being used to propagate a lot of disinformation, that links back to disreputable sources and conspiracy sites. As main stream companies like Facebook have flagged these as fake news and disinformation, GUBU could be be flagged similarly.
We have no ambition to be used to propagate disinformation. If you see somebody pushing disinformation then please do report it, and we'll remove it if it is demonstrably disinformation.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Yes I think one thread is the solution. To be honest I often dont read thread names and cannot keep track of what is going on where. One thread would be great.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
GrowlerG

Post by GrowlerG »

Guburnor wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:26 pm...
To be honest my biggest gripe about the vaccine chat is there are about half a dozen threads all saying the same thing! I...
Consider that people posting the same information across multiple thread turning all conversations back to the same theme may be intentional. If its just quote and link dumping, and never answering a question asked, except with more quote than link dumping which doesn't attempt to answer the question asked.
GrowlerG

Post by GrowlerG »

But its no problem to steer clear from certain topics.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

GrowlerG wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:30 pm But its no problem to steer clear from certain topics.
Such as?

Re: Will this place take over from Boards?

Post by 316670 »

How Soon Is Now wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:30 pm Definitely yeah I mean everyone can believe what they like but some of it is pure shite talk and no one is willing to budge on any of it anyway so there's no point in discussing it unless you agree with it.

Lets face it most people are bloody sick of hearing about Covid anyway I don't want it all over the site when its everywhere else as well.
Just stay out of the Covid19 discussion area, its not hard, i have zero interest in the "All things green section" so don't look at it, why does it seem those who got the vaccinations want to shut down all discussions of the dangers of said vaccines?