Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

When are groups like AA etc. opening up

All things COVID
artybike

When are groups like AA etc. opening up

Post by artybike »

Does anyone know when self help groups can meet in person again? I'm watching a close family member sink into a vortex of despair! Gosh it's awful. You can't check them either, but sharing their bonkers thoughts, out loud, to a non-family member, in their support group might give them a jolt.

To be honest, with all the self righteous pandemic guff, there's very little thought given to peoples mental health :(
kadman
Verified Username

Re: When are groups like AA etc. opening up

Post by kadman »

I totally agree with you. I believe mental health issues are about to soar in the coming years. We made the children and youth of today pay an enormous price in the last 18months on cuts in health services for them, and removal of support systems that were basically shut down.

What we did as a society was choose elderly members of the population in preference to our youth, which was totally wrong in my opinion.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Have to disagree slightly, there are idiots who scoff that "you just want the pubs open, drink at home".

For some rural elderly the trip to the pub is their only lifeline - at least when the older generation talk about mental health issues it's largely legitimate. I've lost patience hearing young folk go on about their anxiety - I have an anxiety disorder, it has symptoms (some physical) it isn't the same as being worried you won't get the points for Trinity!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

The youth of today never got a fair look in at all during the pandemic in the early stages. Protect the elderly at all costs was the mantra constantly thrown out. We should have been protecting our youth equally, which we did not. The youth sacrificed much during the pandemic.
I dont know how we can judge and just disregard s persons well being , based on their age.