Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Prepping For Inflation

News, geopolitics, impact, consequences etc from the Ukraine Russia conflict
isha
Verified Username

Re: Prepping For Inflation

Post by isha »

https://www.thelocal.de/20220323/explai ... expensive/

In fairness there have been fairly noticeable price increases.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

isha wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:10 am In fairness there have been fairly noticeable price increases.
There have and for a multitude of reasons.

I was just looking back at some old flyers we used to post out to trade customers the other day and despite all the recent inflation and hikes I was actually charging more for some products in 2000 than I am today. I wonder, if we'd just stuck at 2% inflation per year between 2000 and 2022 how it would compare to the way things have actually developed? Most of the last ten years were <1%.

Anyway, Simone's post is scare mongering, nothing more. No German supermarket chain upped their food prices by 20% yesterday nor will they be doing it anytime soon. He'd like to think they would but that's because he's rooting for a crises.

FYI....
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

Curiosity got the better of me.

The ideal inflation rate is 2% per year. Had we had that since 2000 it would be a 54% increase today on 2000 prices. Instead, our actual inflation rate over that period has been 40%.

The average industrial wage was €436 in 2000. It was €864 in 2021. An increase of 98% despite inflation only running at 40% for the same period.
simone
Location: remember me in the months ahead, and how i was correct

Post by simone »

It’s not your concern scotty, you are onboard with paying more as long as it hurts Russia, you are going to get half of what you want, and your going to get it soon.
Meanwhile those of us keeping up to speed will have see flour rise approx 20%, that will be passed on to the consumer soon.

PS. Inflation is running at 7.6% in Germany officially, and we all know the reality in peoples every day life will be much higher.
simone

Post by simone »

Have noticed a lack of fresh fruit and veg in supermarkets the last few times I’ve shopped.
simone

Post by simone »

Irish inflation to a more than 20-year high of 6.7 per cent yesterday with fuel inflation clocking in at a phenomenal 47 per cent over the past year.

Kerosene, better known here as home heating oil, has increased in price by 127 per cent over the past 12 months.

End of the month carbon tax increases set to add roughly €20 per fill on a tank of home heating oil and €1.50 per month to gas bills.

6.7% inflation, i would have no problem with someone saying it’s higher, sure we can all see it with every day purchases, going to be a rough year ahead.
simone

Post by simone »

I bear no ill will towards any of you here, you need to start building a larder of food, the sooner the better.
Inflation and food shortages are coming, and it wont be pleasant.

40% of Belgian food producers to halt or reduce activity
Last year, rapeseed oil was available for €750 per ton. Now the same amount will cost €2,200 – almost three times as much.
The price of wheat has increased by more than 50% since February.
The food production industry is energy-hungry and the conflict in Ukraine has driven bills through the roof. About 50% of Belgian food producers have seen their bills double, over a third saw them triple.
“At the beginning of the year, it seemed that we would finally be able to extinguish these flames, but the war in Ukraine has, unfortunately, fanned the fire again. If we cannot pass on these costs, it will no longer be profitable to continue production,” the industry expert warned.
https://www.brusselstimes.com/belgium/2 ... e-activity
simone

Post by simone »

Germany's producer price inflation jumps to 30.9% in March, the highest level since 1949.

The big brains in the EU are going to ban all coal, oil and gas from Russia, makes me believe the USA has some serious dirt on EU politicians as this is not going to be good for the EU, so why are that doing it?

https://www.destatis.de/EN/Themes/Econo ... _node.html

EU imports about 70% of its coal from Russia which is used to produce about 25% of the electricity, have a guess what the bulk of the rest of the electricity is made from burning that also comes from Russia?
simone

Post by simone »

Indonesia bans palm oil exports as global food inflation spikes
Things affected by palm oil: sweets, ice cream, chocolate, milk powder, mascara, soap, toothpaste
More than 60% of palm oil worldwide is made in Indonesia
These export restriction that countries world wide are implementing are starting to add up, going to be a rough summer
https://www.marketscreener.com/quote/st ... -40120901/
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Do you ever post anything positive or do you get a thrill from all your predictions of doom and gloom?
'no more blah blah blah'
peasant
Verified Username

Post by peasant »

simone wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:06 pm Indonesia bans palm oil exports ...
Ahhh feck that ...I can't face the apocalypse without Nutella :shock:
simone

Post by simone »

Del.Monte wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:33 pm Do you ever post anything positive or do you get a thrill from all your predictions of doom and gloom?
Believe it or not i wish you and everyone here all the best, and one way that i can help to make the future somewhat easier for you is to shine a light on what is happening in the world that is not reported by the main stream media.
Its not only rock oil from Russian that is increasing in price but cooking oil as well, knowing this you should be stocking up now while you can at normal prices.
Supermarkets in the UK rationing sales of cooking oil, be the same here soon.
You are ahead of the posse.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/18348922 ... le-ration/
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

If I ever go to the Sun for my information I will really know the end is nigh. As for cooking oil, I haven't had any in the house for years so why would I want to stockpile it now unless to corner the market when supplies run out.
'no more blah blah blah'
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Palm oil is terribly destructive. It's a major cause of deforestation where it is produced. It's hard to avoid it as an ingredient. Himself has decided on some kind of a campaign against it though and if he finds it among a product's ingredients then it goes on the LIST. 😳 I know a million things should technically be on that list because of other cruelties and bad vibes. I know. I know. 🙄
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Don't know what will happen olive oil, that's what we use. There is some stuff around about seed oil not being the best for health, it's probably a bit of a fad. I don't know the details. But I do think butter and clarified butter and olive oil is better.
It seems like there may be food shortages coming. We could probably tighten up on food wastage to combat some of it. There's a terrible amount of stuff thrown out.
There is also still time just about for the country to turn towards more domestic production, the soil is just warming up, maybe those in charge of things could quickly turn to that kind of plan. Encourage people to put in veg in their gardens. Don't export as much so that the people here can have food if there really are serious shortages.
simone

Post by simone »

Ethics of cooking oil are a topic for another thread, the fact is the price will rise drastically for all edible oil, Del.Monte might think it wont effect him, he will find out soon, it is in many items of food stuff we consume.
Stock up now, it is long life and you will use it in the future.
46a

Post by 46a »

Trouble ahead is a dead cert AFAIC, you can see the prices increases yourself when you go shopping.

Martin Lewis warns of RIOTS amid cost of living crisis as police chief predicts crime will soar as desperate public try to feed themselves
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... risis.html
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

If you're relying on a rag like The Daily Mail for your information....... :roll:
'no more blah blah blah'
46a

Post by 46a »

Del.Monte wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:55 pm If you're relying on a rag like The Daily Mail for your information....... :roll:
Look closer🤪

Source: International Food Policy Research Institute

UK Retail Prices Index, as of April 2022, over past year
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Del.Monte wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:55 pm If you're relying on a rag like The Daily Mail for your information....... :roll:
The governor of the Bank of England warned this week of ‘apocalyptic’ food prices :o
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-61469532
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I suppose it comes from having lived in a semi-permanent state of recession since the early 1990's it all passes me by and I see little point in hyping things up the way the media - and certain posters here - seem to delight in doing. We'll get through it like we always do unless the Russian nut job kills all life on the planet. Apocalyptic................. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Isn’t it a recession and inflation at the same time, stagnation I saw it called. We haven’t seen inflation this high since 1984 and it’s only going in one direction. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst!