Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Prepping For Inflation

News, geopolitics, impact, consequences etc from the Ukraine Russia conflict

Prepping For Inflation

Post by 316670 »

Its coming, we can all see it, I'm not talking about digging a nuclear bunker in the garden in preparation for a mad max collapse, but steps that can be taken now to mitigate the price rises.
Russia/Ukraine goods are now gone from the EU market so there goes 30% of Wheat, 18% or Corn and 80% or Sunflower oil.
I can safely say those products and anything made with them will rise , so stock up.
All cooking oil will prices will increase that's a certainty
Corn is used to make Bio-fuel, might see more used for that purpose and less as food.
Russia exports Aluminum and wood, so expect your kitchen foil to jump up in price and any product made with wood, from building supplies to paper.
Basically anything that is imported will jump in price as oil prices rise, so stock up on those items, do we even make any thing like razor blades or soap in Ireland? I don't think we make any washing powder or items like that here, all imported AFAIK.
Post what you believe will jump in price and hopefully we can get ahead of the incoming price rises
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: Prepping For Inflation

Post by Del.Monte »

Nothing like stoking up panic buying.
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 316670 »

Del.Monte wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:51 am Nothing like stoking up panic buying.
Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
Bought coal for the stove in January, bought more this morning and it was 10% more expensive.
Filled up a shopping trolly this morning with long life foods, pasta, beans and so on. Noticed that they had all gone up in price from previous shopping trip. I’ll be interested to see what their prices will be in a month.
Inflation was going to come but now with the Ukrainian sanctions, it’s going to be extra bad.
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

Jax roll.

Post by 490808 »

I don't think you can prep for inflation unless of course you can afford to go and buy a decent amount of gold.

If you stock up all it will do is put off the day you have to pay more for your weekly shop.

Far better to change your whole outlook and shop better. Make your food from basic ingredients, bake your own bread and if possible grow your own food.

I prep. We have a house that can run quite well without electricity if necessary but I am under no illusions that we can't really live for more than 2 months without going shopping. What that means is we are prepared for most short term disasters but anything long term and like everyone else we are screwed.

Post by 316670 »

Countries now banning exports of grain to protect their population from food shortages, it only going to get worse from here on, don’t dismiss inflation as something that won’t be a problem for you, start making a move to ensure you don’t suffer unnecessary in the coming year
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/governme ... 29874.html

Post by 490808 »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:34 pm Minister for Agriculture is going to hold a meeting tomorrow with farming organisations to grow more crops, aka wheat and barley. Complete waste of time as only tillage and some vegetable farmers have corn drills, power harrows and ploughs. Not only that, I've seen some vegetable farmers getting into growing grain and make a complete bollix out of it.

More sensible approach would be just to support the various farming sectors at what they are good at.

One thing that could be done is get local authorities and developers is to let out land that is laying idle where operators could come in and grow a crop for a year. Increase the acreage available. Especially around Dublin. Don't think it would make up for the shortfall of imports. Fertiliser is nearly three times the cost as it was a year ago. Most big tillage operators would have sourced their fertiliser now anyway.
To set up areas for allotments. Not for everybody but I bet in most towns there would be a waiting list of applicants.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I don't know if this constitutes prepping for inflation but this is my plan. There will likely be food price increases. I am not in the mood for complicated gardening this year. Just not - fed up of it. So back to basics. I am planting a good bit more potatoes than I normally would. First and second earlies, I don't bother with maincrop as they mature too close to blight season. If blight touches the leaves, remove all stalks immediately and leave in the ground. They are grand there even in winter, though you can store them any time you want. Also I am planting lots extra onions and garlic, the reason being I view them as medicine. The allicin and quercetin in them keeps the cardiovascular system healthy, fights off bugs and viruses, is even anti-cancer. The last thing I am going for is greens, hardy greens like kale which stands over winter into spring. Though even chard will do that. Anyway tons of greens including the purple sprouting brocolli which comes into its own from now on, after growing over winter. The green veg have loads of the iron, minerals, vitamins, fibre etc that are really important - they are blood building foods.
So spuds, onions, garlic and greens - ye could get through an apocalypse with just those. (Maybe stock up on olive oil and salt to make the apocalypse seem tastier.)
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Sorry. Not to put too fine a point on it I have had it up to my back teeth with shyten tomatoes. 30 years trying to coddle them in kingdom of the cruel cold queen of the north west. I am done being a fool. 🙂

Post by 316670 »

Crazy price increases are a certainty, you need to be stocking up in products that are not manufactured in Ireland, anything imported will increase in price.
Due to the sanctions all grain and cooking oil is going to increase drastically, get your flour, rice and cooking oils before the public cop on and start to panic buy.
Diesel now €1.90 and petrol €1.95. Home heating oil is gone from around €520 to €720 for 500 litres.
Pain is in the post for everyone, try minimise it with a few astute purchases now while prices are relatively normal

Post by 316670 »

https://tass.com/economy/1418157/amp
The price of gas has been growing by more than 67% since the beginning of trading today

The price of April futures on the TTF hub in the Netherlands rose to $3,639.1 per 1,000 cubic meters or 322 euro per MWh.
Gas trading on Friday ended at $2,300.

Post by 316670 »

For the first time I can recall, I have seen that petrol is cheaper than diesel, it was €1.94 while diesel was €1.95. The most expensive I seen today was €2 for both, the cheapest was €1.92 for both
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

NotThatDevnull wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:49 pm For the first time I can recall, I have seen that petrol is cheaper than diesel, it was €1.94 while diesel was €1.95. The most expensive I seen today was €2 for both, the cheapest was €1.92 for both
Saw 2.08 for both today in Dublin, North Circular Road area.

Post by 316670 »

Today European natgas future jumped as high as 64% to 335 euros a megawatt-hour -- the equivalent of around $600 a barrel of oil.

Post by 490808 »

I wonder if there will be a peanut shortage? Noticed to my surprise that they are produced in Ukraine.

Post by 316670 »

I doubt they are laughing now
Prices in Germany this morning
Wont be long before its the same here, many workers commuting long distances to work , they are going to suffer, possibly be better off not working rather than putting big money weekly into the car.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

7 quid on the bag of coal. That's a lot! Flour going to go up likely quite a lot, as Ukraine will not plant much this year. I usually get all my flour in large bags from Kilkenny mills but unfortunately one cannot bulk buy flour in advance as it does not keep, even if well stored. Being dependent on solid fuel in winter (coal in addition to the usual wood which I buy locally), and depending on variable contract incomes, I reckon I will feel the impact of this "war economy" the Taoiseach is now us warning about.

Hmmm. Maybe time to acquire a crossbow. 😏 I don't normally eat lovely animals but there are friends in the fields around here and if push comes to shove...🤤👀🐰🐮🐑🐑🐑🥩🍗👀👀🔪🔪🔪🪓🪓🪓🗡️🗡️🗡️ 😊

Post by 490808 »

isha wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:48 am 7 quid on the bag of coal. That's a lot! Flour going to go up likely quite a lot, as Ukraine will not plant much this year. I usually get all my flour in large bags from Kilkenny mills but unfortunately one cannot bulk buy flour in advance as it does not keep, even if well stored. Being dependent on solid fuel in winter (coal in addition to the usual wood which I buy locally), and depending on variable contract incomes, I reckon I will feel the impact of this "war economy" the Taoiseach is now us warning about.

Hmmm. Maybe time to acquire a crossbow. 😏 I don't normally eat lovely animals but there are friends in the fields around here and if push comes to shove...🤤👀🐰🐮🐑🐑🐑🥩🍗👀👀🔪🔪🔪🪓🪓🪓🗡️🗡️🗡️ 😊
Coal get a tonne delivered from the North its massively cheaper.

As for the crossbow they are illegal in the South, fine in the UK.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

The Continental Op wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:12 am Coal get a tonne delivered from the North its massively cheaper.

As for the crossbow they are illegal in the South, fine in the UK.
If the time has come for me to be stalking the land with my crossbow I am not going to be too bothered about its legality. 😊

I will look into the coal, thanks!

Post by 490808 »

I've been using these guys https://coaldirectireland.com/ for the last 3 (4?) years. Just phone up with a credit card. Delivery is included in the price. Delivery on a pallet and normally 20kg bags which are easy enough to shift if the driver can't get the pallet near to where you want them. Normally delivery is 2 -3 days after ordering.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

The Continental Op wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:41 pm I've been using these guys https://coaldirectireland.com/ for the last 3 (4?) years. Just phone up with a credit card. Delivery is included in the price. Delivery on a pallet and normally 20kg bags which are easy enough to shift if the driver can't get the pallet near to where you want them. Normally delivery is 2 -3 days after ordering.
Wow, cool! I appreciate that. I will tell my Ma as well, she is further down the country. The price of coal is a big deal for her.

Post by 316670 »

Coming soon here?
They media has been very quite about this, i wonder why?
Italy’s road haulage companies said they will suspend services across the country from Monday, March 14th, due to the recent “explosion” in fuel costs.
https://www.thelocal.it/20220311/fuel-c ... om-monday/
simone
Location: remember me in the months ahead, and how i was correct

Post by simone »

One good thing about non compos mentis Joe is he lets slip information that politicians would keep quiet.
It’s coming, fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
simone
Location: remember me in the months ahead, and how i was correct

Post by simone »

It’s arrived in Germany
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

simone wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:29 am It’s arrived in Germany
Which Monday? 'cause it didn't happen yesterday.

Pro tip: when twitter accounts only ever post tweets in UPPERCASE, it's usually a sign they only post sensationalist nonsense.