Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Sanctions

News, geopolitics, impact, consequences etc from the Ukraine Russia conflict

Sanctions

Post by 490808 »

I'm just listing one to start this off that amused me when I read about it

McDonald's To Temporarily Close Restaurants & Pause Operations in Russia

Now its hardly going to bother Putin. It is however a sign to the Russian people that something is going on?

I doubt Russians will be on the street rioting over it but any discontent in the Russian population could be a good thing. Could also make things worse - who knows seemingly little things sometime change the balance.

Edit> Thinking about it I can remember back to about 30 years ago when the first McDonalds in Moscow was a massive big deal https://www.rbth.com/history/329911-uss ... -mcdonalds .

Re: Sanctions

Post by 490808 »

Good point about the symbolism of the East West opening up. Will McDonalds closing "for the duration" be as symbolic I wonder?

Post by 490808 »

I found this link that has a list of current sanctions on Russia https://som.yale.edu/story/2022/over-20 ... ome-remain.

Even Lego are doing their bit and have suspended shipments to Russia. Although I think for some companies Russia has become a logistical nightmare so its easier for them to jump on the bandwagon and stop trading with then until things change.

Post by 316670 »

I dont see how the west can claim this as a win to be honest, plenty here would like to see them banned also

Post by 490808 »

Well up yours Russian Embassy

Russian embassy’s street in Dublin may be renamed 'Independent Ukraine Road'

Have to say reading about that made me laugh. Not sure its going to make any difference to anything but its as good a way as any of sticking two fingers up to the Russian ambassador and his country.
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

The Continental Op wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:44 am Well up yours Russian Embassy

Russian embassy’s street in Dublin may be renamed 'Independent Ukraine Road'

Have to say reading about that made me laugh. Not sure its going to make any difference to anything but its as good a way as any of sticking two fingers up to the Russian ambassador and his country.
Not yet a done deal:
Residents of Orwell Road, the current name of the street, are set to be consulted on the proposal, which has already been unanimously passed by a subcommittee of Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council.
Orwell Road is a pretty swanky address carrying quite the premium. I'd wager the well heeled residents will prefer to show their solidarity in some other way.
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

Russia has just announced they are banning fertilizer exports to unfriendly countries.
It’s likely most of the EU won’t be eating much in MCDonalds either.
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

Post by 316670 »

Unintended consequences for the west
Russia has decided to stop enforcing digital copyrights for products coming from countries sanctioning Russia. so legalizing piracy in Russia, so Movies, Tv shows, Music, Books, Video Games, Software are all now on the all you can consume menu.
Billions lost to western companies, the license fees for enterprise software, Microsoft, Oracle, etc is HUGE, now Russia will turn a blind eye to the enforcement of this.
There is talk of Russia completely ignoring all patents, copyrights and trademarks originating in countries sanctioning Russia, the pharmaceutical industry we all know make drugs for pennies and then sell for tens of Dollars, do you think countries already not sanctioning Russia and in the wests bad books will continue to pay top dollar for medicine that they can get for pennies from Russia? Sanctioning governments will have some trouble with the public explaining why their life saving medicine cost so much and in other countries its pennies.
The nationalization of industries/companies that are pulling out of Russia is on the cards, we all see when we are in the likes of Mcdonalds they advertise how they locally source everything, so we could see McDonalds in Russia reopen very soon, same product for sale.
Same with the factories that manufacture items, shut down for a few weeks then reopen making the same product as before.

These sanctions will hurt the west just as much as Russia, an on purpose acceleration of the crashing Dollar/Euro?

Japanese airlines now cancelling flights to Europe
https://skift.com/2022/03/03/japan-air ... ty-fears/
Peregrinus

Post by Peregrinus »

Even if the Russians ignore IP rights and manufacture proprietary pharmaceuticals for cents, they won't be sold for cents in any country other than Russia, unless the government of that country also decides to ignore IP rights, which they will be slow to do for reasons that you won't have to think too hard about to work out.

As for the producers of movies, books, software etc losing Revenue from Russian sales, this is a consequence not of the Russians deciding to ignore IP rights, but of the sanctions which prevent these things being sold into Russia, and/or which prevent Russians making payment for them (because international payment systems are also sanctioned). It may be galling that the Russians allow product already in the country to be distributed for free, but the IP owners aren't losing any extra revenue as a result of that decision; they have already lost the revenue from the Russian market.

It's true that the sanctions will be painful for the West; sanctions are always painful for both sides. Trade happens because it's mutually advantageous, remember, so if it stops happening both sides lose. But as the sanctions are being imposed by the West, not by Russia, the West is well positioned to arrange matters so that the bulk of the pain is felt in Russia.

This is neatly illustrated by the graphic showing how certain aviation routes are becoming longer (and therefore more expensive) by the need to avoid Russian airspace. Conspicuously omitted from the graphic - I wonder why? - is any indication at all of all this the effect on the Russian aviation sector. The effect is, of course, catastrophic; quite apart from other countries closing their airspace to Russia, nearly all Russian airlines' aircraft are leased from Western companies - mostly Irish companies, as it happens. Those leases are being called in, or will be when the Russians fail to make lease payments on them, and one consequence of this is that the aircraft insurance will lapse. Even countries which have not closed their airspace to Russia will not allow uninsured aircraft to fly, so Russia's international flights will basically have entirely ceased by the end of March. Domestic flights may continue for a bit longer, but parts and maintenance will become a pressing problem very soon - most Russian airlines only carry about two weeks' supply of parts. This can be eked out a bit longer when a lot of flights are not flying, but there's a limit to that. No western airline is going to face anything like the problems all Russian airlines will face.
Peregrinus

Post by Peregrinus »

Mountain wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:32 pm Surely Roman Abramovich has already phoned his pal Putin to politely point out that he has just had a few billion in assets frozen and wondering when this is going to end.
Abramovich is the client and Putin the patron; not the other way around. If Abramovich points out that his assets outside Russia have been frozen, Putin simply frostily asks him if he wants to hold on to his assets inside Russia?

Post by 316670 »

Peregrinus wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:17 pm This is neatly illustrated by the graphic showing how certain aviation routes are becoming longer (and therefore more expensive) by the need to avoid Russian airspace. Conspicuously omitted from the graphic - I wonder why? - is any indication at all of all this the effect on the Russian aviation sector. The effect is, of course, catastrophic; quite apart from other countries closing their airspace to Russia, nearly all Russian airlines' aircraft are leased from Western companies - mostly Irish companies, as it happens. Those leases are being called in, or will be when the Russians fail to make lease payments on them, and one consequence of this is that the aircraft insurance will lapse. Even countries which have not closed their airspace to Russia will not allow uninsured aircraft to fly, so Russia's international flights will basically have entirely ceased by the end of March. Domestic flights may continue for a bit longer, but parts and maintenance will become a pressing problem very soon - most Russian airlines only carry about two weeks' supply of parts. This can be eked out a bit longer when a lot of flights are not flying, but there's a limit to that. No western airline is going to face anything like the problems all Russian airlines will face.
Won’t be a problem for Russia, see map of all the countries not sanctioning, clear line of flight for Russian aircraft.
Spar parts won’t be a issue,
1 a black market will open up
2, cannibalize one plane for parts for others, common practice
3, Russia has an advanced airspace industry, I’m sure that they can make a copy of an existing part.
As for insurance, the Russian government can do that, who do you think insures all of the CIE vehicles in Ireland?
Russia has already confiscated all the leased aircraft, so us Irish tax payers will be on the hook for those losses, I can see a government bail out in our future. Lucky us, the aircraft social charge.

Post by 316670 »

Mountain wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:46 pm I just can't imagine he, or any of the other oligarchs (why is that word exclusively used for Russia's powerful elite?) will do it lightly.
That is something that has puzzled me for a while, why are they Oligarchs in Russia and Billionaires in the west?
Denis O’Brien of Esat Digifone fame, If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

Post by 490808 »

NotThatDevnull wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:33 pm That is something that has puzzled me for a while, why are they Oligarchs in Russia and Billionaires in the west?
Denis O’Brien of Esat Digifone fame, If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.
And you keep quacking.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Will the Russian oligarchs be in for an insurance windfall by having their million dollar yachts seized. I just want to know in case I have to hide my rowing boat in Lough Ennell :lol:
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

Mountain wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:46 pm They're supposed to be very close though. If Putin threatens sanctions against his friends, he'll be in a very lonely and isolated place.

Course maybe the relationship is so close that Abramovich is prepared to walk away from a few billion for his friend. I just can't imagine he, or any of the other oligarchs (why is that word exclusively used for Russia's powerful elite?) will do it lightly.
I found this article to be helpful explaining the relationships, pointing out that the oligarchs most valuable asset is the personal connection to Putin:
As far as the economic oligarchs are concerned, Putin’s continued support, and his continuation in power, guarantee their wealth and safety. As long as they fulfil their part of the deal and stay out of politics, they get to keep their remaining assets in Russia. Should they speak up, they risk losing not only their remaining wealth, but may also face criminal charges and prosecution. However sad they are to let go of their western assets, the economic oligarchs have even more to lose by speaking out against the war. So they stay quiet.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -oligarchy
Peregrinus

Post by Peregrinus »

schmittel wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:34 pm I found this article to be helpful explaining the relationships, pointing out that the oligarchs most valuable asset is the personal connection to Putin:
Yes. Which gives Putin influence over them, not vice versa.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Should we set up Go Fund Me pages for all our TDs?
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 316670 »

Sanctions!!
They will only hurt the little people, the big boys will continue as before.
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

schmittel wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:02 pm Not yet a done deal:

Orwell Road is a pretty swanky address carrying quite the premium. I'd wager the well heeled residents will prefer to show their solidarity in some other way.
This proposal has been dropped. Orwell Road will not be renamed Independent Ukraine Road.
Fine Gael councillor Paddy McCartan said he would not have supported the motion.

“I have taken the views of a large number of residents and not one was in favour of it.” He said residents’ concerns were largely related to practical matters such as maps and property deeds.
No residents supported the idea. What a surprise.

Post by 490808 »

List of Irish companies ‘trading with Russia’ sent to Department of Foreign Affairs

Couple of thoughts here, firstly if The Department of Foreign Affairs don't know who here is still trading with Russia we need a new DFA, secondly if the Ukrainian embassy are saying they have past this list one the next stage has to be for them to publish it? Otherwise what is the point of saying there is a list and not saying who is on it?

Post by 316670 »

Ukrainian Embassy is running Ads on facebook in Ireland to try recruit volunteers to go fight Russia, i though it was illegal for a foreign country to try recruit in Ireland? We should be sanctioning Ukraine if this is true.
This is the site advertised, scroll down the bottom and see Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine
https://fightforua.org/
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

NotThatDevnull wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:01 pm Ukrainian Embassy is running Ads on facebook in Ireland to try recruit volunteers to go fight Russia, i though it was illegal for a foreign country to try recruit in Ireland? We should be sanctioning Ukraine if this is true.
This is the site advertised, scroll down the bottom and see Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine
https://fightforua.org/
Where is there a law that makes it illegal for a foreign country to try and recruit in Ireland - not saying whether it is or it isn't but yet again you post something with no link to back it up?
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 316670 »

Del.Monte wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:56 pm Where is there a law that makes it illegal for a foreign country to try and recruit in Ireland - not saying whether it is or it isn't but yet again you post something with no link to back it up?
Ye of little faith
The advertisement was aimed at men between the ages of 18 and 40 who were living near Dublin. Under the Defence Act of Ireland it is illegal for any foreign army to recruit Irish citizens.

https://archive.ph/wip/cWesG

The Ukrainian foreign legion is advertising on Facebook in Ireland looking for recruits to defend its country against the Russian invasion.
https://archive.ph/wip/xh1MF

Facebook is really revealing how nasty it is, breaking Irish law with the Ukrainian recruitment adverts and "Temporary" allowing anti-Russian hate speech, all the way up to violence and death threats.
I don't think the sanctions removing Facebook from Russia are a negative for Russia, only a positive
Last edited by 316670 on Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Well thank you for at last posting a link that throws light on the matter you raised. I won't be going out to the Ukraine anyway and if NATO keeps up the hysteria we may find ourselves making molotov cocktails in Dublin soon enough.
'no more blah blah blah'