Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Sanctions

News, geopolitics, impact, consequences etc from the Ukraine Russia conflict

Re: Sanctions

Post by 316670 »

Ukrainian Embassy is running Ads on facebook in Ireland to try recruit volunteers to go fight Russia, i though it was illegal for a foreign country to try recruit in Ireland? We should be sanctioning Ukraine if this is true.
This is the site advertised, scroll down the bottom and see Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine
https://fightforua.org/
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

NotThatDevnull wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:01 pm Ukrainian Embassy is running Ads on facebook in Ireland to try recruit volunteers to go fight Russia, i though it was illegal for a foreign country to try recruit in Ireland? We should be sanctioning Ukraine if this is true.
This is the site advertised, scroll down the bottom and see Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine
https://fightforua.org/
Where is there a law that makes it illegal for a foreign country to try and recruit in Ireland - not saying whether it is or it isn't but yet again you post something with no link to back it up?
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 316670 »

Del.Monte wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:56 pm Where is there a law that makes it illegal for a foreign country to try and recruit in Ireland - not saying whether it is or it isn't but yet again you post something with no link to back it up?
Ye of little faith
The advertisement was aimed at men between the ages of 18 and 40 who were living near Dublin. Under the Defence Act of Ireland it is illegal for any foreign army to recruit Irish citizens.

https://archive.ph/wip/cWesG

The Ukrainian foreign legion is advertising on Facebook in Ireland looking for recruits to defend its country against the Russian invasion.
https://archive.ph/wip/xh1MF

Facebook is really revealing how nasty it is, breaking Irish law with the Ukrainian recruitment adverts and "Temporary" allowing anti-Russian hate speech, all the way up to violence and death threats.
I don't think the sanctions removing Facebook from Russia are a negative for Russia, only a positive
Last edited by 316670 on Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Well thank you for at last posting a link that throws light on the matter you raised. I won't be going out to the Ukraine anyway and if NATO keeps up the hysteria we may find ourselves making molotov cocktails in Dublin soon enough.
'no more blah blah blah'
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

So when the rest of us suffer with increased prices, inflation and the cost of living impacts due to sanctions imposed on Russia.
High finance and commerce gets a pass because they are receiving interest payments from Russia. Maybe its just me, but I thought sanctions meant sanctions, not opportunities for making money for some.
Russia said earlier it had sent funds to cover $117 million (€106m) in coupon payments on two dollar-denominated sovereign bonds.

The payments, due on March 16th but with a 30-day grace period, were seen as the first test of whether Moscow will meet its debt obligations after Western sanctions hobbled its financial dealings.

“The coupon was paid, against my expectations, and in dollars,” one source told the news agency.

Another person said the money had been received by a client who was a bondholder.

Some other creditors said they had yet to receive their funds but were optimistic they were on the way, noting they had received payments on hard currency bonds from a raft of state-run and private Russian companies in recent days.

Russia’s ability to make payments on its debt is being closely watched by markets around the world as ratings agencies and analysts warned that a default was imminent. The coupon payments due on March 16th were the first of several, with another $615 million due over the rest of the month.

A non-payment would mark the first default on foreign-currency bonds since the Bolsheviks repudiated the tzar’s debts in 1918. Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said the nation has all the resources it needs to avoid a default.

Sanctions imposed over Moscow’s invasion of Ukraine have cut Russia off from the global financial system and blocked the bulk of its gold and foreign exchange reserves, while Moscow has in turn imposed countermeasures – all of which complicate payments.

The finance ministry had planned to send the equivalent interest payment amount in roubles if dollar payments did not reach foreign bondholders, something credit rating agency Fitch said would constitute a sovereign default, if not corrected within a 30-day grace period.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Protecting the handful of bondholders seems to be the order of the day, above and beyond all other things.
But we did it before without a whisper and paid for it. And now we are getting more of the same, as i see Russia is due to fork out another
600+ million interest payment to them within the month. Keep them channels open at any cost ;)
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Mountain wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:41 am Sanctions are penalties.

Writing off interest would surely confer a benefit and be the opposite of what sanctions involve.
So are you okay with protecting the bondholders in all situations. Conducting any form of commerce with Russia is OK with you??
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Mountain wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:02 am Sanctions are penalties. Wiping off payments due is a reward. No one anywhere at any time has suggested rewarding Russia by writing off money due and owing.
So you dont want to answer the question asked.

Russia clearly dont see this as a penalty against them by paying the amount. Its beneficial for them to stay in commerce at this level, thats why they paid, and will continue to do so. They benefit.
And sanctions were meant to halt Russias commerce, except when it hurts western the bondholders.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

kadman wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:29 am Russia clearly dont see this as a penalty against them by paying the amount. Its beneficial for them to stay in commerce at this level, thats why they paid, and will continue to do so. They benefit.
And sanctions were meant to halt Russias commerce, except when it hurts western the bondholders.
A debt write-off is a reward, no matter how you look at it; the sanction in that regard would have come if Russia had defaulted. They obviously felt the subsequent effect of being branded a bankrupt, uncreditworthy state was not worth the risk, so they paid up regardless of their other difficulties.

It's worth remembering, too, that many of these Western bondholders are "us" in one form or another, whether through our pension plans or insurance premiums or other indirect subventions. Just because "we" willingly elect politicians who refuse to curb the worst excesses and tax-avoidance of our favourite capitalists doesn't mean we should also let unelected narcissists like Putin run away with our money too.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Why would Russia worry about being declared bankrupt, and possibly being cut off from access to future money supply.
They have already been cut off from it with the sanctions
How it (usually) works: When a government defaults, it negotiates with its bondholders to consensually restructure the debt. The deal that ensues often involves those holders forgiving some of the debt in exchange for promises of balanced budgets and fiscal austerity, among other things.

This can take years, and can be super fraught, but it’s a process the market is familiar with.

On the flip side: Were Russia to default on its external bonds, some holders might elect to sue and attempt to attach — or get a lien on — Russian assets abroad even if the sanctions were then in place, Buchheit says. They would be betting that if and when the assets became unfrozen from the sanctions, their judicial attachments would bite.

Where it stands: Some, like Jay Newman, alum of Elliott Management — and of Argentina’s restructuring — say the bonds are worth zero.

But, but, but: At some point, vultures will probably pounce. Some distressed investors are quietly waiting for the right opportunity (read: bonds available at mere pennies on the dollar) and evaluating whether strategies like aggressively pursuing Russia’s assets could pay off, says Gulati.
quodec

Post by quodec »

Funny story! I was in town today and in every shop/outlet I visited their card debit facilities wern't functioning. So, I called to a supermarket and got some food and the same again at the checkout. Using the last of my cash I asked to the Eastern European girl at the till what was happening and she said in her deep accent and with little humour, 'Maybe it is Russian sanctions'!!!!
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

Mountain wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:58 pm Ukraine Ministers calling out Nestle for continuing to do business in Russia.

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/business/n ... a/47446504

Subway, Marks & Spencer and Burger King remain there too, but I understand that their position is complicated by franchise arrangements.
The Nestlé thing is hardly surprising. As far as evil corporations go, they're right up there IMHO. Baby formula. Enough said.

Subway, Burger King and M&S can go sod themselves too. They can make their excuses, but there's little stopping folks from consumer led boycotting except ignorance and laziness.

I'll vent some anger at all 3 of those companies now on their Twitter accounts/email addresses. Well worth spending 10 minutes to tell them where to go with their excuse making. Shut it down. You've sanctions in place to justify your withdrawal/termination of operations.

Never thought I'd say it, but fair play to the other money hungry junk food brands for doing the right thing, quickly.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

JayZeus wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:21 pm Subway, Burger King and M&S can go sod themselves too. They can make their excuses, but there's little stopping folks from consumer led boycotting except ignorance and laziness.
There's not much corporate can do if the individual franchises decide to stay open. I don't think any McD's in Russia have actually closed yet.
Windex

Post by Windex »

sanction are going to bite, but not who you think
USA to opec nations
"Give us your oil so we can marginalize an another oil producing nation, topple its government and impoverish its people".
Also: "We won't do the same to you, promise"
Truly, the coming months will be a geopolitical IQ test for the rest of the world and the Saudis seem to be well clued up and are going to sell oil to China in Yuan.
either the western leaders are idiots(very possible) or this is a controlled demolition of the dollar
Windex

Post by Windex »

i would agree with this, they are running the economies of USA and EU into the ground with these sanctions, the petro dollar is on shaky ground, to be replaced by a CBDC?
simone
Location: remember me in the months ahead, and how i was correct

Post by simone »

The sooner the idiots in Dublin pay Russia for gas and oil the lesser the economic hardship we the public will endure, countries already breaking ranks and paying Russia, actual NATO members, so why is neutral Ireland not?
https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/jsc-l ... 00987.html
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

simone wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:45 am The sooner the idiots in Dublin pay Russia for gas and oil the lesser the economic hardship we the public will endure, countries already breaking ranks and paying Russia, actual NATO members, so why is neutral Ireland not?
https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/jsc-l ... 00987.html
As a member of the public, I would be quite annoyed if my government did business with Russia. I'm willing to suffer the 'economic hardship' if it means penalising Russia.

I see we're stopping coal from today too... great news.
simone

Post by simone »

Scotty wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:41 pm As a member of the public, I would be quite annoyed if my government did business with Russia. I'm willing to suffer the 'economic hardship' if it means penalising Russia.

I see we're stopping coal from today too... great news.
Duly noted, Now be a man of principal and suck it it up when the economy craters, don’t want to read any complaints from you as you have officially forfeited any reason to complain about insane price rises in the coming year, this is what you want and shall receive.
You are sticking it to Russia. 🤪🤪🤪
simone

Post by simone »

Clearly more sanctions are needed, any day now the pendulum will swing the other way, prices will fall in the EU and the Ruble will collapse, we just need to double down and ban everything from Russia. 🤡🤡🤡

Scotty

Post by Scotty »

simone wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:00 am any day now...
Your motto?
simone

Post by simone »

The geniuses in charge of the EU are going to ban Russian coal imports, worth €4billion a year, but not until August. 🤡
Russia will be deeply concerned no doubt, as the sanctions so far have pushed up the price of gas and oil and lead to an unexpected windfall of only €350billon extra in payments, how will Russia ever manage🤭

Keep a eye on the prices here
Was €102 December
Went up to €112 February
And is a shocking €135 today

https://ssff.ie/product/5-x-40-kg-e96-g ... -firelogs/