Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

What are *you* doing?

News, geopolitics, impact, consequences etc from the Ukraine Russia conflict
JayZeus
Verified Username

What are *you* doing?

Post by JayZeus »

My missus gave to the red cross.

I paid for an optic, a plate carrier and a couple of plates, and some olive thermal tops.

No idea if either approach will make a difference but short of picking up a stick and shouting at the sky, there’s sod all else I can do.

What have you done personally that could contribute tangibly to the outcome?
Frank

Re: What are *you* doing?

Post by Frank »

Now that I think of it I’ve done nothing yet. I’ll look into how or what you can give, I think there were a few local things I missed as I didn’t know they were happening until they were done. Fair play to anyone willing to house people, I couldn’t do it.

Post by 316670 »

Mountain wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:32 am Registered to accommodate refugees, waiting for a response.

We have a spare bedroom and bathroom and an area we can easily convert into a living room and kitchenette. Plus we're within 3km of a school, shops, bus route etc. Don't know if it will contribute to the outcome, just hope it makes it a little easier for some family.
Every now and again you will come across a tragic story of a family that adopts a child and then decided they don't want to be parents any more and return the child, very sad for all concerned and the adopting adults get vilified, will the same happen to families who take in these refugee and then reject them?
Will they they become pariahs for turning their back on people in need?
Last edited by Guburnor on Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: please remember not to be a dick
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

After seeing the red high heels after being donated, I gave a couple hundred euro to the Red Cross. After all, they know what's needed and this way, they can buy it.
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

MOD NOTE: I've have cleaned this up as it had gone way OT from the intention of the OP
Séimhe

Post by Séimhe »

Not in a position to house anyone unfortunately. Will look into helping locally though. maybe I can refurbish laptops and tablets for new arrivals if there’s a need. For young kids, if I knew any had lost an important teddy on their travels I’ll try to order a replacement online.

All that depends on knowing who the host is but that shouldn’t be hard.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I did consider offering to house but I live in an old bungalow with one bathroom out in the countryside. The one bathroom seems to be a problem as they want an on-suite for the room. Where I live there bugger all public transport so they'd be isolated.

I'll try to help locally if I hear if the village is going to do something for them.
simone
Location: remember me in the months ahead, and how i was correct

Post by simone »

You dirty perverts, you knew exactly what you where doing taking in one of these girls.
simone
Location: remember me in the months ahead, and how i was correct

Post by simone »

Ukrainian refugee on the beach in Spain, the media say there are no Nazis in Ukraine, maybe thats because they have fled to the west?
Who ever is hosting them be it Hotel or private citizen must be delighted.
Maybe that why Mountain has not posted in a while, the guest has them chained up in the coal shed?
Swastika on the ass or Hitler on the hand, i cant decide which is more classy, what do you think?
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

simone wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:52 pm Ukrainian refugee on the beach in Spain, the media say there are no Nazis in Ukraine, maybe thats because they have fled to the west?
Who ever is hosting them be it Hotel or private citizen must be delighted.
Maybe that why Mountain has not posted in a while, the guest has them chained up in the coal shed?
Swastika on the ass or Hitler on the hand, i cant decide which is more classy, what do you think?
MOD NOTE: Posting a pic of a Ukrainian refugee with nazi tatoos is fine if it is accompanied by a link to a credible source demonstrating it is in fact a Ukrainian refugee on a beach in Spain.

Posting a pic of a woman with a swastika tatoo on a beach and stating that it is a Ukrainian refugee on a beach in Spain is just being a dick.

Please don't be a dick.
SmartinMartin

Post by SmartinMartin »

Just to let you know, Circle K will match any donation you make, so a good way to double your contribution.
Séimhe

Post by Séimhe »

I’m collecting tablets and laptops that people don’t need anymore so the refugee kids can at least watch a movie or something. This also helps the parent who had typically had to leave their spouse behind.

75 Ukrainians arrived in my area recently and there is little for the kids to do in the evenings until they get proper accommodation.

If you’d like to contribute and help take their mind off the war, I’m in Galway I made a thread here: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1426