Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Russians are the good guys

News, geopolitics, impact, consequences etc from the Ukraine Russia conflict
Apelles

Re: Russians are the good guys

Post by Apelles »

Cyclepath wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:53 am I'm just forever fascinated by the desire to make these debates binary. As if there's a 'good' and 'bad' label that can be assigned to one side or other.

The divisive problems on the planet are entirely based around various sides philosophical/religious/political beliefs and a concomitant imperialist desire to impose those values on their neighbours. There seems to be no understanding or acceptance of nuance in these situations. People feel the urgent need to assign black and white hats to simplify the proceedings.

Ukraine is unfortunate enough to sit right at the border between US and Russian interests. Neither side is 'good' or 'right' here and Ukraine is not an entirely virtuous and innocent victim. All sides have ulterior motives but the normal Ukrainian people are the victims.

It's the same everywhere you go; Israelis are evil and Palestinians are pure of heart; Trump voting conservatives ate their children but Hilary supporters were righteous and innocent; TERFs are literally killing trans folks and men in dresses are genuinely women.

I assume it's a common human desire to make arguments and debates simple and maybe a way for folks to avoid having to actually think about the complexities of a situation, but whenever faced with this phenomenon I assume the person is untroubled by deep thoughts and I tend not to take them very seriously. Binary simplicity can be exercised in scientific realms but outside of that it's a hallmark of creeping fundamentalism in many walks of life.
Very well put Cyclepath. You'd be an interesting chap to have a couple of pints with of a Friday evening . . to explore nuances and different perspectives on topics of debate . . Quite unlike some of ignoramuses who I have to endure.

Post by 95438756 »

In a similar vein, out of all YouTube channels both "impartial" international news agencies, like Reuters, and Russian | Ukraine YouTube channels, 98% of them have a bias in their reporting of the theatre.
PureIsle

Post by PureIsle »

gugleguy wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:39 pm In a similar vein, out of all YouTube channels both "impartial" international news agencies, like Reuters, and Russian | Ukraine YouTube channels, 98% of them have a bias in their reporting of the theatre.
Yes. Of course we all have our biases.

It is when the bias of one entity determines what is allowed to be said/printed/read that it becomes a matter of very real concern.