Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Should Russian sports people be banned from sport?

News, geopolitics, impact, consequences etc from the Ukraine Russia conflict
knownunknown

Should Russian sports people be banned from sport?

Post by knownunknown »

Just watching a report on Eurosport about tennis, I also heard of Sergey karjaken in chess. Not sure i agree with it, it goes against western principles. It doesn’t seem right, especially the ones that openly denounce the Russian regime, but we don’t make that distinction.

Anyone agree with all this banning?
Mirabeau

Re: Should Russian sports people be banned from sport?

Post by Mirabeau »

I don't agree with it.
It should be about the competition not the filth in charge.

Also, a sporting event might be the only way diplomatic interactions can occur.
Especially with the current state of people's politics.

Finally, if we're banning countries for acting like scummers - we'll that's going to be a fairly crappy European Championship.
You know with all the centuries of killing and stuff.
Seanybiker

Post by Seanybiker »

No fecking way should they be banned from competing. Theyre not the ones that caused any of whats going on.

Post by 678904673 »

Or to ask another question. Should the US & UK be banned from sports for their illegal invasion of Iraq
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

knownunknown wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:03 pm Just watching a report on Eurosport about tennis, I also heard of Sergey karjaken in chess. Not sure i agree with it, it goes against western principles. It doesn’t seem right, especially the ones that openly denounce the Russian regime, but we don’t make that distinction.

Anyone agree with all this banning?
Not in the slightest - I love my tennis and Andrey Rublev won a match the day of the invasion and wrote "NO War" on the camwera after the march, Daniil Medvedev's wife watched him play in a dress in the Ukraine colours.

Gymnasts/athletes and anyone part of the state sponsored doping programme - ban away but some kid who has nothing to do with Putin, no way.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
Calahonda52
Verified Username

Post by Calahonda52 »

Seanybiker wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:58 pm I can barely smoke the stuff as being on anti psychotics aswell as other fun tablets , I find weed just freaks the feck out of me. Even just one or two drags of it and Im in a state, it takes me a while to feel my version of normal again, obviously for other people it can help with whatever problems they have so yeah I think it should be legal.
That figures
Seanybiker wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:46 pm No fecking way should they be banned from competing. Theyre not the ones that caused any of whats going on.
Seanybiker

Post by Seanybiker »

Calahonda52 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:26 am That figures
What figures big man ?

C'mon Honda girl , tell me what figures . Keep you're spine and say what ya wanna say .
Avey Terrible

Post by Avey Terrible »

Absolutely not. They have nothing to do with the war. Banning them doesn't help anything.
Avey Terrible

Post by Avey Terrible »

Interesting that you post a comment like that after starting a thread on bullying in the workplace.
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Avey Terrible wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:59 pm Absolutely not. They have nothing to do with the war. Banning them doesn't help anything.
They could do,what they done with russian athletes when the russian federation was banned and let them compete,but not under the russian flag??

God I'd love to see the yanks and co,held to same standard internationally that Russia rightfully are
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
Avey Terrible

Post by Avey Terrible »

Setanta wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:33 pm They could do,what they done with russian athletes when the russian federation was banned and let them compete,but not under the russian flag??
That wouldn't be a bad idea.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

It's a tricky one, knee jerk reaction is to ban everything and everyone Russian/Belarusian but that's not really fair. That said, should sports people and others in the public arena be more courageous and speak out against Putin and his thugs. Question is that as Putin has shaken hands with the Devil is any Russian, no matter how famous, safe in that country. If I were there I would have long crossed into the relative safety of the West.
'no more blah blah blah'
Jack The Stripper

Post by Jack The Stripper »

They can stay in the motherland, we will have half of Russia fleeing claiming asylum in Europe if that triggers.
What country in the whole of Europe will they pick, yes you got first prize Treasure Ireland of course.
Seanybiker

Post by Seanybiker »

Ckmon answer me
Seanybiker

Post by Seanybiker »

Avey Terrible wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:08 pm Interesting that you post a comment like that after starting a thread on bullying in the workplace.
I dont mind it , I know he is trying to be a bully but I don't mind that. I would just like to see what he meant and I already know he won't answer , so he's not a bully , he's a bitch .

He's so tough , he won't won't tell me what he meant.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Seanybiker wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:38 am

He's so tough , he won't won't tell me what he meant.
They win if you let someone wind you up. There are some that are professionals at it.
Seanybiker

Post by Seanybiker »

knownunknown wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:24 am They win if you let someone wind you up. There are some that are professionals at it.
Ah I know that but I'm just in the mood now . He hasn't replied since the first post so that's all I need to know .
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Avey Terrible wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:15 pm That wouldn't be a bad idea.
Its what Wimbledon is after doing anyway

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.co ... index.html
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
Avey Terrible

Post by Avey Terrible »

knownunknown wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:24 am They win if you let someone wind you up. There are some that are professionals at it.
They are professionals at it as they don't have anything else going on in their lives.
Avey Terrible

Post by Avey Terrible »

Are you going to explain yourself?