Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Anyone still glued to this?

News, geopolitics, impact, consequences etc from the Ukraine Russia conflict
knownunknown

Re: Anyone still glued to this?

Post by knownunknown »

C.I.A. warned European governments of potential attacks on undersea pipelines.

New York Times
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/27/worl ... ttack.html
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

knownunknown wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:54 am C.I.A. warned European governments of potential attacks on undersea pipelines.

New York Times
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/27/worl ... ttack.html
That's it then, the Yanks did it!
There's also the possibility that Ukraine, or someone working on their behalf did it, but the most likely culprit has to be Russia. They've taken a lot of flak, both externally and internally, over the "repairs" to the Nordstream 1 pipeline, when Siemens, the company who maintain it said , there was no need for it to be offline. This could be them saying, "Oh look, somebody who doesn't want us to supply gas to Europe, sabotaged the alternative supply line" Unlike them to resort to underhand mathods, I know, but there's always a first time.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Biden promised to put a stop to Nordstream back in January. And the US benefits most.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

A huge risk for the US to take, potentially damaging EU and US relations and threatening the stability of NATO. Germany, in particular has been lukewarm about the whole Ukraine thing up to now and they stand to lose out most. I'd be very surprised if the US took that risk for, what might be, short term gain.
Russia has had all sorts of ships, from warships to "trawlers" and freighters, prowling around the Baltic for weeks now and they are masters of the "False Flag" tactics.

Post by 95438756 »

big traffic jam outta Russia into Georgia.
Bottleneck too

kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

marhay70 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:42 pm A huge risk for the US to take, potentially damaging EU and US relations and threatening the stability of NATO. Germany, in particular has been lukewarm about the whole Ukraine thing up to now and they stand to lose out most. I'd be very surprised if the US took that risk for, what might be, short term gain.
Russia has had all sorts of ships, from warships to "trawlers" and freighters, prowling around the Baltic for weeks now and they are masters of the "False Flag" tactics.
US interests foreign and domestic spersede all other interests, including humanitarian. It would suit US if there were no gas or oil supplies into europe from anybody, except america.A bomb here, or an assassination there is immaterial in the scheme of things for either.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

kadman wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:54 pm US interests foreign and domestic spersede all other interests, including humanitarian. It would suit US if there were no gas or oil supplies into europe from anybody, except america.A bomb here, or an assassination there is immaterial in the scheme of things for either.
Germany and several other EU countries have signed deals with Nigeria to supply LNG and Qatar to supply oil, not the US, and the Nigerian Gas is pumped while the US gas is fracked, which would suit the environmentalist element in the German government, so I can't see where the US would benefit from sabotaging the Russian supply line with all the risks involved. Sweden and Denmark also seem pretty confident Russia were responsible for the sabotage.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

marhay70 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:48 pm Germany and several other EU countries have signed deals with Nigeria to supply LNG and Qatar to supply oil, not the US, and the Nigerian Gas is pumped while the US gas is fracked, which would suit the environmentalist element in the German government, so I can't see where the US would benefit from sabotaging the Russian supply line with all the risks involved. Sweden and Denmark also seem pretty confident Russia were responsible for the sabotage.
Without the pipeline the Russians have no way of selling and putting more money towards war. I firmly believe it was the US but was also the right call. This has done more to end the war then anything else, at least in the long run. Financially starve them.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

US has openly stated that they would shut it down.
WASHINGTON, Feb 7 (Reuters) - U.S. President Joe Biden on Monday warned that if Russia invades Ukraine, there would be no Nord Stream 2, but did not specify how he would go about ensuring the controversial pipeline would not be used.

Speaking at a joint news conference with German Chancellor Olaf Scholz, Biden said, "If Russia invades... again, then there will be longer Nord Stream 2. We will bring an end to it."
Sounds like a US threat to me..
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

I think you are confusing political rhetoric with actual threats of violent action, Biden has used similar language when referirng to the UK trade deal and the Protocol. Will the Yanks mine Belfast Lough now?
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Spin...
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Well, Putin has declared the occupied territories as Russian

https://www.rte.ie/news/2022/0929/13262 ... ne-russia/

That was expected
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Well, looks like Lyman became Russian for a day before Ukraine took it back.

It's looking more and more like Russia bit off a LOT more than it can chew (maybe it ate the 1.5 million missing Russian winter uniforms)
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Sadly it's all very predictable and quite obvious what is going to happen sooner or later and it won't be a Ukrainian victory.
'no more blah blah blah'
Hugh_Bigazz

Post by Hugh_Bigazz »

Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Professor Jeffrey Sachs has an impressive WIKI entry and can't be easily written off as a nutter although he came across as a bit unhinged in that interview. To me coming across that way is understandable given what he knows of international affairs and how the US is heading us all down the path towards Armageddon.
'no more blah blah blah'
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Del.Monte wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:32 pm Sadly it's all very predictable and quite obvious what is going to happen sooner or later and it won't be a Ukrainian victory.
I think the big victors will be China and the US. China because they'll do massively preferential deals with what's left of Russia and the US arms industry supplying Ukraine and NATO. Ukraine will win on the battlefield and the EU will be seen to get a backbone. Putin's Russia will come out the looser big time I think. If Russia is to have any hope of saving anything, they'd get rid of Putin and say a massive "sorry".

I don't think Putin is daft enough to go nuclear. He'll threaten it but if he does, I think NATO would respond massively asymmetrically and do a massive strike against ANYTHING Russian in Ukraine. It will also loose him massive support at home, and that's what he's more worried about, a popular uprising if things go pear shaped.

If you go back far enough, Moscow was an outpost of the Kiev Rus. Kiev ruled Moscow.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Then again, I'm only a (self appointed) 27 star armchair General. I could be totally wrong!
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Antony Blinken is the US Secretary of State that RTE recorded as saying last week, “ Nord Stream leaks 'in no one's interest' - Blinken”.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ukraine/2022/09 ... eam-leaks/

Now the mask has slipped, he has described it as a tremendous opportunity for the US. Rte of course don’t report on this update.

kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Its christmas come early for US energy suppliers as well as arms suppliers.
They have been trying for a long time for a terminal in Ireland to supply gas and oil. As for it being fracked gas, that wont matter a damn when existing solutions are exhausted.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

"Tremendous strategic opportunity" means they would be happy to weaponise it for their own american interests...exactly as Putin is now. There is absolutely no difference between what the west or east will do to further their `own interests.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Interesting official reaction here to the death of the unfortunate Rory Mason in the Ukraine. Perhaps the government should go the whole hog and raise its own Irish brigade to fight the Russians?
'no more blah blah blah'
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Oh right.
Oops I suppose.

Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

From looking at this, I wonder can General Winter come along quick enough to help Russia by slowing the Ukraine advance?

If some reports are true, I think General Winter could help the Ukrainians more as the Russians don't have the proper Winter gear. It seems to have been sold to pay for vodka, villa in France, etc.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

isha wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:08 pm Oh right.
Oops I suppose.

The US is always saying that Ukraine is a sovereign country, so who are they to "admonish" them?