Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Anyone still glued to this?

News, geopolitics, impact, consequences etc from the Ukraine Russia conflict
knownunknown

Re: Anyone still glued to this?

Post by knownunknown »

isha wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:46 am Just kind of for a record. Information here may be true, or semi true, or re-classified leaks from the Pentagon

https://www.wired.com/story/leaked-pent ... al_twitter
It’s scary how journalists are going after their own like this, there used to be a sort of code of ethics. I’ve tried to stay away from much of the sensational details about this story but it will be interesting to see what turns out to be true or not probably much of it is.

The usual outlets are concentrating on the identity of the leaker, his home address, where he worked and other personal details. Letting the whole world know that the next leaker gets the same treatment probably followed by a couple of decades in prison.

This is how much the media are in cahoots to protect the narrative. It’s amazing to see the same people in support of what Manning did now attacking Teixeira.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I think making people afraid to counter narratives, have wrong opinions or whistleblow is becoming a full on militarised operation in some countries.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Bishop_Brennan wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:14 pm That the war isn't going as well for Ukraine as the MSM want you to think.

And the media will smear the whistle blower as being the usual NRA "far right" KKK racist, domestic terrorist - all for exposing the TRUTH.
It's going awlfully bad for Ukraine,if the leaks are true....russian casualties/deaths roughly 1.5 times that of Ukraine....an ongoing slog like bakhmut will bleed ukraine dry long before Russia (though reports of russian elite units wiped out may negate it?)

Russia obviously has taken strong interest in em,and placing some value in its accuracy, particularly about the depletion of Ukraine's missile defense system and attacked several cities almost unopposed since the leaks with dozens of innocents killed....talks of upto 8 weeks before the US patriot system is up and running,surely it's reasonable to expect a massive wave of refugees again, potentially causing political chaos in Europe

Though some of reports from the eastern front,of mutilated bodies being found regularly and large amount of trophy taking of body parts is fcuking grim

Edit: preparations for counter offensive on scale not seen yet are underway significantly:

https://www.molfar.global/en-blog/elect ... -occupiers
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
PureIsle

Post by PureIsle »

Setanta wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:08 pm It's going awlfully bad for Ukraine,if the leaks are true....russian casualties/deaths roughly 1.5 times that of Ukraine....an ongoing slog like bakhmut will bleed ukraine dry long before Russia (though reports of russian elite units wiped out may negate it?)

Russia obviously has taken strong interest in em,and placing some value in its accuracy, particularly about the depletion of Ukraine's missile defense system and attacked several cities almost unopposed since the leaks with dozens of innocents killed....talks of upto 8 weeks before the US patriot system is up and running,surely it's reasonable to expect a massive wave of refugees again, potentially causing political chaos in Europe

Though some of reports from the eastern front,of mutilated bodies being found regularly and large amount of trophy taking of body parts is fcuking grim

Edit: preparations for counter offensive on scale not seen yet are underway significantly:

https://www.molfar.global/en-blog/elect ... -occupiers
Information on destroyed/captured/damaged Russian electronic warfare stations and radar systems was collected from open sources – General Staff of Ukraine reports, Oryx, TG, TW, news,Ukr.warspotting;

So everything molfar base their opinion on is that released by the Ukraine side.
No balance.

Should one believe everything coming from one side?
They have been shown to lie often - as it suits.

Maybe they got somethings correct but TBH I read as far as the quote above and did not bother after that.

A few things I am convinced of ...

Russian side are shooting missiles at a rate of about 7:1 Ukranian.
I doubt if either side is more accurate than the other, so losses can be expected to be Ukraine 7: 1 Russian or close to that.

Russia has more manpower in the field than Ukraine.

Russia has more hardware than Ukraine (including all its promised NATO arms etc.)

Russian military equipment/arms manufacturers are on a 'war footing' or as near as makes no difference, and their production of arms reflects that. NATO is nowhere close.
Remember for months last year we were being told that Russia was running out of arms? Now we know that all the NATO countries have run out and Russia is still firing missiles.

Even if the lists of destroyed equipment from molfar is correct it does not appear to have hampered the Russian military much, if at all.

Based on what I read these days Ukraine must be seriously regretting it refused to stand by the Minsk agreements (either of two) they signed. They had another agreement in principle last year and changed their minds again.
If they don't regret it now, it appears they soon will.

My hope now is that Russia does not take advantage of the military weakness of the rest of Europe. So far it seems not to be a Russian intention, but if a regime change in Russia is manufactured (as is the declared intent by NATO) then maybe the replacement might be interested in moving further into Europe ...... who knows?
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Russian side are shooting missiles at a rate of about 7:1 Ukranian.
I doubt if either side is more accurate than the other, so losses can be expected to be Ukraine 7: 1 Russian or close to that.

Is that deeply flawed and reductive,when yous countance Russia has reduced cities and towns to rubble out there,which had mostly been previously adbandoned?

I have no doubt Ukraine is lying as regards it's deathtoll,but to imply its losses are 7 times what Russia's are,I struggle to see it as credible,and its army would have collasped ages ago,as opposed to be openly gearing up to attack meltipol etc?.....indeed there is much to suggest most casualties have been as result of gunfire, particularly in the trenches around bakhmut and valedudar,where reports of an entire Russian bridage being lost and further mutinies are widely accepted as factual
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
PureIsle

Post by PureIsle »

Setanta wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:35 pm Is that deeply flawed and reductive,when yous countance Russia has reduced cities and towns to rubble out there,which had mostly been previously adbandoned?
Abandoned by those who lived there but used by Ukrainian military and thus legitimate targets.
I have no doubt Ukraine is lying as regards it's deathtoll,but to imply its losses are 7 times what Russia's are,I struggle to see it as credible,and its army would have collasped ages ago,as opposed to be openly gearing up to attack meltipol etc?.....indeed there is much to suggest most casualties have been as result of gunfire, particularly in the trenches around bakhmut and valedudar,where reports of an entire Russian bridage being lost and further mutinies are widely accepted as factual
For the most part the Ukrainian army has collapsed twice already due to heavy losses and have been 'rebuilt'. Lots of info out there depicting the conscription of people going about their ordinary lives - 'draft dodgers' I guess is what they would be called.

The reports I read estimate some 35,000 troops are gathered for this new offensive we have been promised for weeks.
If the estimated Russian numbers being bandied about are anywhere close to correct then UA will be badly outnumbered if they manage to launch that offensive.

The fighting around Bakhmut is completely different to what has occurred across the line, in that Bakhmut was/is heavily fortified and well defended, so I suspect that the losses are extremely high on both sides, and likely higher on the Russian side than the Ukrainian side because RU is attacking well prepared defenses.

I am not aware of mutinies in the Wagner outfit being widely accepted as fact. No doubt individuals 'break' and possibly run (as has been reported from the UA military also) but a mutiny is a completely different thing.

My estimate at present is that UA has a small chance of breaking/interrupting the supply line to Crimea overland, but Crimea has airports and seaports as well as the bridge.

If the UA does manage to make this gain then what?
The supply of military hardware has almost dried up; they have very few remaining able bodied men to conscript and with the inevitable losses that such an action would entail, what can the survivors hope to achieve? I fear they could be surrounded and be heavily defeated with no way out.

Of course should some other country or NATO decide to join the conflict and put men on the ground, then things could change very quickly.

... just a personal opinion of the present state of affairs ... ;)
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

PureIsle wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:01 am Abandoned by those who lived there but used by Ukrainian military and thus legitimate targets.

For the most part the Ukrainian army has collapsed twice already due to heavy losses and have been 'rebuilt'. Lots of info out there depicting the conscription of people going about their ordinary lives - 'draft dodgers' I guess is what they would be called.

The reports I read estimate some 35,000 troops are gathered for this new offensive we have been promised for weeks.
If the estimated Russian numbers being bandied about are anywhere close to correct then UA will be badly outnumbered if they manage to launch that offensive.

The fighting around Bakhmut is completely different to what has occurred across the line, in that Bakhmut was/is heavily fortified and well defended, so I suspect that the losses are extremely high on both sides, and likely higher on the Russian side than the Ukrainian side because RU is attacking well prepared defenses.

I am not aware of mutinies in the Wagner outfit being widely accepted as fact. No doubt individuals 'break' and possibly run (as has been reported from the UA military also) but a mutiny is a completely different thing.

My estimate at present is that UA has a small chance of breaking/interrupting the supply line to Crimea overland, but Crimea has airports and seaports as well as the bridge.

If the UA does manage to make this gain then what?
The supply of military hardware has almost dried up; they have very few remaining able bodied men to conscript and with the inevitable losses that such an action would entail, what can the survivors hope to achieve? I fear they could be surrounded and be heavily defeated with no way out.

Of course should some other country or NATO decide to join the conflict and put men on the ground, then things could change very quickly.

... just a personal opinion of the present state of affairs ... ;)
It was the russian army itself mutied at valedudar, (spelling may be off)...but have returned to launching attacks

Ukraine won't be taking Crimea,and noone expects em to attack this spring it,it is however funding and arming an insurgency at meltipol

Yous would be right as regards it needing outside boots on the ground to turn tide of this war,as it's outnumbered massively....

but russians defences are singular in large parts of the front, similar to Kherson as it's traditional methodology for em....in that any breakthrough would be reasonably expected to cause chaos and collapse??

you'd surely have to suspect a push through via meltipol and zaparoica would be most practical,given terrain and buildup of russian troops....they are blowing smoke up people's hole talking about Crimea and have done little to no work in its preparation for attacking crimea,which is a prize of dubious reward in military terms??.....though the peace talks behind the scene may bring an end to this pointless slaughter yet🤞
PureIsle

Post by PureIsle »

Setanta wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:52 am It was the russian army itself mutied at valedudar, (spelling may be off)...but have returned to launching attacks

Ukraine won't be taking Crimea,and noone expects em to attack this spring it,it is however funding and arming an insurgency at meltipol

Yous would be right as regards it needing outside boots on the ground to turn tide of this war,as it's outnumbered massively....

but russians defences are singular in large parts of the front, similar to Kherson as it's traditional methodology for em....in that any breakthrough would be reasonably expected to cause chaos and collapse??

you'd surely have to suspect a push through via meltipol and zaparoica would be most practical,given terrain and buildup of russian troops....they are blowing smoke up people's hole talking about Crimea and have done little to no work in its preparation for attacking crimea,which is a prize of dubious reward in military terms??.....though the peace talks behind the scene may bring an end to this pointless slaughter yet🤞
Are there signs that peace talks have recommenced?
I find it difficult to believe that Russia will be happy with anything but a complete collapse of Ukraine at this stage, considering all the 'double-dealing' done by UA and NATO in the last decade or so.
Zelensky has stated clearly he will not negotiate with Russia while Putin is in power.
I understand some law was passed to this effect.
That leaves Ru with one option - completely eliminate UA and start anew.

Russia's difficulty in such circumstances would be the numbers left who are willing to carry out terrorists attacks within Russia.
On the other hand one of Russia's stated aims is to 'de-Nazify' UA, which could explain some of the methods being used by Russia during this conflict. Ru seems very determined to reduce UA army personnel while the taking of territory appears to be secondary.
but russians defences are singular in large parts of the front
Early last year that was true, when Ru had a minimum force deployed in UA. As I understand it, that is not the case today. RU has brought in large numbers of personnel and materials as second and even third lines of defence where they deem appropriate.

One must remember that Ru was up against a large military force whose defences had been built up over eight years or so, as well as receiving arms and training from the NATO alliance. That coupled with the understrength 'invasion' explains a lot to me.
The situation has changed considerably.
Russia has boosted its manpower. It has spent months training the new arrivals.
Russia has ramped up its military production. It is only now deploying the newer armaments in UA.
At the same time Ukraine's army has been decimated.
Its existing arms have been destroyed, as has the contributions received from NATO, to the point now that not only has UA's arms been used up, but supplies from NATO has dropped to a dribble, leaving most NATO countries defences vulnerable due to lack of military reserves.

I really cannot see a good outcome for UA in this.
To be honest I now have little empathy with UA as a country. (not referring to people)
They have had multiple chances to come to an acceptable arrangement with RU, and 'did the dirt' on each occasion. I recognise that outside influences were most likely behind their behaviour.
It seems to me that this conflict was deliberately engineered by those influences.

If one accepts that Ru has built up its military forces and armaments in the last year, while at the same time just 'holding ground' (with a couple of notable exceptions) while bombarding any UA attempt at retaking that ground with consequent large losses of UA manpower, then it would not be at all surprising to see a Russian attack once the main UA defensive points are breached (such as Bakhmut).
Ukraine has little defence-in-depth, as I understand it, so would likely be overrun in such an action.
This of course would not happen until Ru itself decided the time is right and their objectives could be achieved by such an action.
Essentially, IMO, the ball is firmly in the Russian court, and they will decide what is the eventual outcome, despite whatever setback a UA offensive might achieve.

Of course my reading of the situation could be completely wrong and the Western propaganda correct - Ukraine has been winning for the past year and will retake Donbass and Crimea with their 'Spring offensive'.

isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

https://www.information.dk/indland/2023 ... t?lst_frnt

If this information is correct, I was 100% incorrect. It seems photos exist of a Russian submarine a few days before the explosion and near where the pipeline was blown up.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

isha wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:18 pm https://www.information.dk/indland/2023 ... t?lst_frnt

If this information is correct, I was 100% incorrect. It seems photos exist of a Russian submarine a few days before the explosion and near where the pipeline was blown up.
Interesting development,though Russia was a few weeks ago,pushing for a UN sponsored enquiry into this issue??
PureIsle

Post by PureIsle »

isha wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:18 pm https://www.information.dk/indland/2023 ... t?lst_frnt

I am inclined to think 'misdirection'.
Why pick this one out of all the shipping from many countries in the area?
There have been several statements from the likes of Sweden, Germany etc that the perpetrators are known but they will not release any information.
If they knew it was Russia I doubt they would stay silent about it.

I must admit though that I have wondered if Russia could have done it to create a 'false flag'. I would not be surprised.
On the other hand Russia appears to have made many attempts to have the matter investigated without success.

So for the present I will go with 'misdirection' on this one.
Jack The Stripper

Post by Jack The Stripper »

Russia didn’t light the match.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Jack The Stripper wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:23 pm Russia didn’t light the match.
WUM101
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

There is also circumstantial evidence that it was nato in the form of the Baltop exercises that were held sometime before at the site as well as this data that Reuters investigated.

“ Flight data showed a P-8A Poseidon maritime patrol and reconnaissance plane was over the North Sea at 0003 GMT when Swedish seismologists registered what they later described as a subsea blast southeast of Bornholm Island in the Baltic Sea.”

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy ... 022-10-07/

Post by 95438756 »

Ffs
8-) :?: :roll: :D

BBC News - Kremlin drone attack: Russia accuses Ukraine of trying to assassinate Putin
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65471904
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

gugleguy wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 3:37 pm Ffs
8-) :?: :roll: :D

BBC News - Kremlin drone attack: Russia accuses Ukraine of trying to assassinate Putin
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65471904
One of his own I'd say, dictators are normally toppled/taken out by their own

Comes less than 24 hours after Russia claimed it killed the Ukraine's territorial defence general though....some tiny credible signs of cracks comeing in the Kremlin as they prepare to defend for the second summer of this war
PureIsle

Post by PureIsle »

Setanta wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 5:41 pm One of his own I'd say, dictators are normally toppled/taken out by their own
Oh please. Not that BS again. Can you provide an example of a 'Western' leader with comparable approval numbers from their citizens?
Comes less than 24 hours after Russia claimed it killed the Ukraine's territorial defence general though....some tiny credible signs of cracks comeing in the Kremlin as they prepare to defend for the second summer of this war
What 'credible signs' are you seeing?
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

PureIsle wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:17 pm Oh please. Not that BS again. Can you provide an example of a 'Western' leader with comparable approval numbers from their citizens?

You're absolutely right, I've never seen any Western leader get a better than 90% approval rating in any poll, referendum, sexiest man competition, bear wrestling contest, anything like that. Remarkable.

Apelles

Post by Apelles »

Bishop_Brennan

Post by Bishop_Brennan »

I see war mongerer Zelensky is in the Hague demaning nuclear war...

My god this scumbag will get us all killed..
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Bishop_Brennan wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:57 am I see war mongerer Zelensky is in the Hague demaning nuclear war...

My god this scumbag will get us all killed..
Where do you get that from? He's in the Hague but where is he calling for nuclear war as the Ukraine would be the first to suffer?

PS I have no time for Putin and not much more for Zelensky. I said from the beginning that two former parts of the USSR should be allowed to get on with it and it would have been resolved by now.
'no more blah blah blah'
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Del.Monte wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:06 am Where do you get that from? He's in the Hague but where is he calling for nuclear war as the Ukraine would be the first to suffer?

PS I have no time for Putin and not much more for Zelensky. I said from the beginning that two former parts of the USSR should be allowed to get on with it and it would have been resolved by now.

Good god man what are you saying. If a diplomatic solution was found, then the war might be over.

Us would lose out on weapons sales into the multi billions that the eu is getting the bill for.
Halliburton would not get the opportunity to tender ( Bribe) to get the rebuilding of infrastructure.....
Diplomats from many sides would not get the opportunity to feed at the trough of the mega millions from the EU coffers.
Natos arms would not get depleted so the US could bolster it all up again into the future.
Many,many companies would not have an opportunity to scalp us all financially with the increased cost of living hikes.
Energy companies would not have the opportunity to pay the paltry windfall taxes proposed, from their massive profits.
And Ireland would not have a chance to save the world with their open door policies to come one and all.

A diplomatic solution might give us all this.............................but you cant go suggesting that Del. Now go and wash your mouth out with carbolic :mrgreen:
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Major push underway in bakhmut tonight by Wagner ahead of may 9th
PureIsle

Post by PureIsle »

Setanta wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 11:20 pm Major push underway in bakhmut tonight by Wagner ahead of may 9th
Lots of military targets hit in multiple cities overnight apparently, including Kiev, Odessa ...
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Setanta wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 11:20 pm Major push underway in bakhmut tonight by Wagner ahead of may 9th
Ultimately failed to gain significant ground,several reports to suggest Ukraine has taken,by bakhmut standards,a significant breakthrough on outskirts of the town with minimal losses on both sides...... potentially could see an encircling of Wagner,who aren't subject to Geneva protection,unless russian army moves more south to underpin it's reasonable defences

Seems analyst think Ukraine is going to attempt an Tet offensive type attack of large amounts of small scale assults rather than a massive broad attack,in the hope of spreading chaos within russian position and stretching it's defence/experienced troops position