Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Censorship

News, geopolitics, impact, consequences etc from the Ukraine Russia conflict
knownunknown

Censorship

Post by knownunknown »

As it pertains to the incursion in Ukraine, are you for it or against it? Was listening to the Lex Fridman podcast with world chess number #1 Magnus Carlsen. They were discussing the banning of Sergei Karjakin from chess because he’s quite a vocal supporter of Putin, he’s also Russia’s number one.

Carlsen says:
I don’t have a strong opinion on whether he was banned or not. Obviously I don’t agree with anything he says but in principle I think you should either ban all Russians or no Russians. I’m generally not particularly against either but I don’t love banning wrong opinions even if they are as reprehensible as his(Karjakin’s) are.”
Is there a danger in censoring vile, abhorrent, wrong but genuinely held opinions? How will this end for the Americans and the west if they continue down this path of abandoning their faith in free speech? You had the head of the Facebook saying just a few days ago that one person shouldn’t be in charge of what is right or wrong to say and that they are taking their cues from the US government, the fbi. How can we be sure their motives are pure?

People are getting castigated for attempting to see resolve the conflict in a way that isn’t full on aggression, I.e. Sabina Higgins.

It’s like we’re on an overloaded train hurtling down the tracks towards full world war and all the regular braking methods have been sabotaged. I think I’m in the minority though and most are in favour of censoring the wrong opinions.
Last edited by Guburnor on Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
marhay70

Re: Censorship

Post by marhay70 »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:38 pm The only thing that worries me at the moment about Ukraine is the ongoing shelling of the Nuclear power plant in Enerhodar. That's my immediate concern as it could affect us all.

Whats happening on the battlefield and whats being peddled on social media to me are two completely different animals. We really dont know whats happening as we are being fed with information, most of which is nonsense or propaganda being fed to demoralise the other side. At the end of the day the likes of the current nafo campaign of censoring people with different viewpoints and the self appointed bullshit osint experts we've had to listen to for the last few months will not make the slightest bit of difference to the military outcome of this war.

As far as I'm concerned what we are observing for the last few months is the birth and the beginning of WW3 and I cannot see it in anyway other than escalating. I hope I'm wrong in this but I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel so far at least.
Russia has admitted that things are not going to plan in Ukraine, evidence of destroyed Russian armour, which would be difficult to fabricate, has been seen, Ukraine still occupies areas which were Russia's stated primary objectives, so I'm inclined to believe the West's version of events.
In light of this, Russia is hardly in a position to fight a conventional war against Nato, a nuclear war would be unwinnable and would leave huge swathes of the world, and all of Russia, uninhabitable for generations to come, so what is the point? Putin might be insane enough to press the button and retreat to a bunker, but there are others who don't share his views and are quite capable of stopping him, particularly as they may not enjoy the immunity from radioactive fall out that he does.
China too, would be reluctant to start a war with Nato and don't appear to have any inclination to do so, simply because it would also be pointless, so who is left to prosecute this war, certainly not Iran or Pakistan? Maybe the nutcase in North Korea but China has contingency plans to invade N. Korea at the first sign of a nuclear missile leaving its silo, they don't want Kim stirring the shit either.

Post by 95438756 »

If you want to search for it you'll get it on YouTube just look hard enough.
PureIsle

Post by PureIsle »

I want access to all opinions regardless how wrong they might be.
So IMO censorship of any kind it abhorrent.
I can accept a few exceptions such as threats, incitement to violence and so on, for the sake of a safe society.
Even then I would much prefer to have access to such content rather than have blanket censorship like we have presently.
It seems from what I have read recently there are plans to introduce even more censorship, both here and in the USA etc..

As for the conflict in Ukraine .... I am forced to go to great lengths to read anything except the one-sided propaganda we are fed daily.
The same situation existed during the 'Covid pandemic' - one sided propaganda is all we were fed!

USA:
https://www.brighteon.com/34c49f07-a999 ... 36fb9ab525

Ireland:
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

I don't think a chess players politics should disbar them from playing their sport

People should also be free to object to it aswell...... kinda how James McClean is free to hold his views and people can object irregardless,within reason
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

&@#% Censorship!

Post by 95438756 »

Russia sanctioning UK politicians & journalists. Poor ol' Ivan :lol:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66548488
PureIsle

Post by PureIsle »

gugleguy wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:44 pm Russia sanctioning UK politicians & journalists. Poor ol' Ivan :lol:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66548488
Russia has banned 54 British nationals and people working for UK organisations from entering the country in retaliation for UK sanctions on its citizens, its foreign ministry says.