Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Rest In Peace Olivia Newton John

The burning issues of the day
DeletedUser

Rest In Peace Olivia Newton John

Post by DeletedUser »

Very very sad to hear this news, she fought as hard as she could - farewell Sandy x
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: Rest In Peace Olivia Newton John

Post by Del.Monte »

Very sad, beautiful lady with a stunning voice. RIP

https://www.tmz.com/2022/08/08/olivia-n ... dead-dies/
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Her cover of the John Denver song "Take Me Home, Country Roads" remains my favourite and, of course, the movie "Grease" in 1978 with John Travolta.

'no more blah blah blah'
quodec

Post by quodec »

Two fantastic female singers taken from us in a week, Judith Durham of The Seekers and now Olivia. Tough for their families - and music fans everywhere!
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

It's been a bit of a shock to me to realise I was only 11 when I saw and was absolutely spellbound by Grease. I honestly had thought I was in my teens. Because I definitely got the vibe of what was going on and let's be honest it was fairly raunchy 😅 That transformation when Sandy appeared in the black leather-looking outfit - did that set up a whole generation of rebellious girls?

My husband went to see it several times as well in the cinema as a boy. The opening song was his favourite. John Travolta was massively influential on boys at the time, as Olivia's Sandy was on girls. Popular culture moves so fast now that it's hard to imagine any particular artefact having such a deep impact on generational psyches as something like Grease had when it took hold of us by the shoulders in rural cinemas and shook the bog off our sandals, in a time when a lot less was going on generally and a single movie could lay down vibes that might shape a whole summer, a whole year, maybe even much much longer.

She didn't have an easy time of it in the later part of her life but she always faced things with a big smile and hope. Rest in peace.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

She was 61 during that 2010 performance. She was really pretty even in her 70s.

Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Very sad news. An icon for 70s kids.

Magic is a classic.