Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

The Trial of Travis McMichael

The burning issues of the day
Scotty

The Trial of Travis McMichael

Post by Scotty »

So following on from the Kyle Rittenhouse trial we also have the trial of Travis McMichael (and two others) on at the moment.

Who? I hear you say...

Travis McMichael and his father were the guys who with their pickup truck chased down and shot dead a unarmed black jogger (Ahmaud Arbery) in their neighbourhood last year of which the dashcam footage went viral.

The case has been shown live on Youtube on this channel and if you look through their vids there's extensive highlight clips.

It seems the neighbourhood, predominantly white, had been having some petty thefts, tools being taken from sheds, etc. Nothing serious. A particular black guy (not Arbery) had been spotted on CCTV several times and was thought to be responsible for a lot of the thefts. When the neighbours spotted Arbery leave a house under construction that day, they put two and two together and made chase. They called police and said 'they had him trapped like a rat'. The claim is they acted in self defence.

It was only after the video went viral and there was huge public outcry that a murder investigation was opened. This was 74 days after the shooting!

It's also being covered by Court Tv if you have SKY.

It's similar to the KN case in that both were defending the neighbourhood, some might call that vigilantism, both put themselves into a dangerous situation, both killed unarmed people, and both claim they killed in self defence.

Travis has already taken the stand....

It'll be interesting to see how it continues.
knownunknown

Re: The Trial of Travis McMichael

Post by knownunknown »

It was very different circumstances. KR was being chased in the middle of a riot while trying to help people. The Mc Michaels drove Ahmaud down with a truck in a neighbourhood that was not rioting. Your conflating of the two cases seems at the very least misinformed.

Self defence isn't a defence when you are chasing someone down. You need to at least attempt to get away. That's what the prosecution in the KR case tried to argue, provocation. There was no evidence of provocation in the KR case(that KR provoked anyone), but there is plenty here(that the McMichaels provoked Ahmaud).

I saw an update of this on natethelawyers youtube channel, it seems the McMichaels case is effectively already over.

Their ability to perform a 'citizen's arrest' on Ahmaud finishes on the day that you see the person commit that crime, according to the judge. That seems fair enough.

The McMichaels will be found guilty, it's already over as a matter of law.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

Closing arguments live shortly...

Scotty

Post by Scotty »

2u2me wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:16 am The McMichaels will be found guilty, it's already over as a matter of law.
I'm not so sure.

They claim they intended on making a citizens arrest and had probable cause to do this believing Arbery was fleeing a crime. The jury has been instructed on this but it doesn't seem to have been ruled out. Whether they were right or wrong seems to be down to the jury to decide.

Having watched about an hour of it today, I could see them return a not guilty.

Incidentally, 14 white jurors and 1 black.

The whole thing seems very OTT for the level of crime that was going on in the area.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

Prosecution closing today (now).

Apparently she's one of the best DA's around. She's really making shite of the defence.

Scotty

Post by Scotty »

Jury are still deliberating. They asked earlier if they could view the video again.

After watching the prosecutions closing statements yesterday I can see the two McMichaels being convicted but I have to admit I'd feel a bit sorry for Bryan's if he's convicted. He's the guy who shot the video. While he did try to stop Arbery with his truck, he had nothing to do with the killing.

Scotty

Post by Scotty »

Verdict reached..........

Guilty.