Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Boris Johnson CBI speech!

The burning issues of the day
quodec

Boris Johnson CBI speech!

Post by quodec »

Words failed him then - and they fail me now!!! What was he on? And we think our guys are bad!

marhay70

Re: Boris Johnson CBI speech!

Post by marhay70 »

quodec wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:44 pm Words failed him then - and they fail me now!!! What was he on? And we think our guys are bad!

Our guys are bad, make no mistake about that, I see the decision on Antigen testing has been kicked down the road again. Jesus wept.
Johnson has made a career out of being the loveable, bumbling idiot. At this stage, I have come to the conclusion that absolutely nothing he does is without purpose, how many hard questions was he asked at the end of this speech?

Post by 6456739 »

The affability thing only worked when he played at being a harmless buffoon and it was plenty dubious then. Now, we're looking at the best part of 200,000 people having died from covid here and his priority is legalising corruption. This comes across like genuine ineptitude and laziness. I get the impression that he is a ruthless operator held in check merely by his own laziness and disinterest in exertion.

I don't see any warmth in a man who cheated on his wife as she was getting chemo for breast cancer.

Post by 6456739 »

CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Watching that performance a couple of days ago, my first thought was "what bad news is he trying to hide with this display of silliness?" But thinking back to his double act with Leo Varadkar a couple of years ago, when he couldn't stop fidgeting in the background, I think we're seeing that he's little more than a stand-up comedian who's now found himself out of this depth thanks to the decisions of others. That speech was an example of how he's incapable of changing his tired old "Bumbling Boris" act, no matter what the situation. I think he is coming to realise that too, and is losing confidence in himself when faced with serious situations - like a roomful of business owners trying to cope with the worst commercial crisis in their lifetimes.

In any case, Boris Johnson is not unwell and has not lost his grip, says No 10. Phew, we can sleep easy in our beds (or at least the English can - he's their PM, not ours) :mrgreen:

Post by 6456739 »

Mountain wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:33 pm I don't think they're mutually exclusive. It's the one thing that people who know him, even rivals, concede. He may be amoral and his politics may be detestable, but by all accounts he is engaging and charismatic and great company. None of which are qualifications to run a country.
By all accounts? I've heard accounts of him conspiring to have a journalist assaulted. The bungling Boris routine fell apart once he got the Brexit he campaigned for off the back of his red bus. I see little sign of him being either warm or great company. He seems solely interested in self-aggrandisement and venality.

Post by 6456739 »

Mountain wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:01 am I have to admit I have friends who have had affairs, friends involved in fights, and they are great company, warm, funny, intelligent. I don't approve of all they do. I certainly would not say "he cannot be good company or charismatic, he had an affair".
Can't see the people who've been cheated on agreeing though.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

It's strange that nobody - that I've heard of - has mentioned the possibility that Borris Johnson may be ill. That was the first thing that occurred to me when I heard the interview.
'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Del.Monte wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:47 pm It's strange that nobody - that I've heard of - has mentioned the possibility that Borris Johnson may be ill. That was the first thing that occurred to me when I heard the interview.
:?: Questions to that effect in the 12 hours after the speech were quite literally the reason Downing Street put out a statement saying he was all tickety-boo!

Having done a little bit of scratching below the surface of British/Tory politics in the last week, I think that the real leaders of the party are treating Johnson as their useful idiot. His vroom-vroom noises and Peppa Pig references are in the same vein as the letterbox-ladies comment, so whether or not he might be unwell, he's staying true to type. And that's exactly what the Tory rulers want - lots of distraction from their steady "adjustment" of British/English society. In recent weeks, they've privatised more of the NHS without any reaction, they've introduced Putinesque controls on public protest, including removing the "just cause" requirement for police stop-and-search interventions, and they've been fiddling with constituency boundaries to ensure they can pass more posts first.

I see, in this, exactly the same process that's been taking place in the US - continued support and encouragement of Trump's nonsense while they undermine what limited protections their version of democracy had until now. The UK is moving a lot faster towards that same version than I ever expected.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Well, I'd take British democracy over Putin's or Trump's any day and our own is no great shakes anyway. And we ain't seen nothing yet - just wait until the Shinners take power.
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 6456739 »

CelticRambler wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:52 pm :?: Questions to that effect in the 12 hours after the speech were quite literally the reason Downing Street put out a statement saying he was all tickety-boo!

Having done a little bit of scratching below the surface of British/Tory politics in the last week, I think that the real leaders of the party are treating Johnson as their useful idiot. His vroom-vroom noises and Peppa Pig references are in the same vein as the letterbox-ladies comment, so whether or not he might be unwell, he's staying true to type. And that's exactly what the Tory rulers want - lots of distraction from their steady "adjustment" of British/English society. In recent weeks, they've privatised more of the NHS without any reaction, they've introduced Putinesque controls on public protest, including removing the "just cause" requirement for police stop-and-search interventions, and they've been fiddling with constituency boundaries to ensure they can pass more posts first.

I see, in this, exactly the same process that's been taking place in the US - continued support and encouragement of Trump's nonsense while they undermine what limited protections their version of democracy had until now. The UK is moving a lot faster towards that same version than I ever expected.
"Boris" is a character played by Alexander de Pfeffel Johnson. He's not stupid, he just lacks capacity for detail and work. He continues playing Boris because it's his get out of jail free card and it works. As you've noted, his government have introduced draconian restrictions on the right to protest and continued privatising the NHS. They're coming closer and closer to admitting that their levelling up plan is a deceitful chimera or, at best, conceited.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

ancapailldorcha wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:22 pm "Boris" is a character played by Alexander de Pfeffel Johnson. He's not stupid, he just lacks capacity for detail and work. He continues playing Boris because it's his get out of jail free card and it works. As you've noted, his government have introduced draconian restrictions on the right to protest and continued privatising the NHS. They're coming closer and closer to admitting that their levelling up plan is a deceitful chimera or, at best, conceited.
Same old bollocks.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
Samson

Post by Samson »

Cracking under brexit and covid pressure, and its only going to get worse, will have to start watching Have i got news for you on BBC, they will have plenty of ammo to fire at Boris.

Post by 6456739 »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:34 am Same old bollocks.
Insightful as ever.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Samson wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:39 am Cracking under brexit and covid pressure, and its only going to get worse, will have to start watching Have i got news for you on BBC, they will have plenty of ammo to fire at Boris.
The only place he's ever been seriously called out in the media. Ian Hislop didn't give him an inch when he was on a few years ago, he was on the brink of walking out. Fair play to Hislop, he cut through all the bumbling and bluster and went straight to the core of him, Johnson was reeling. Pity more, so called jounalists don't do the same. Andrew Marr had him in a similar position but didn't turn the screw.
Same applies here to Leo the Liar, gets too easy a ride.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

ancapailldorcha wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:48 am Insightful as ever.
Dont spout bollocks and I'll crack open the grown up material.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

quodec

Post by quodec »

Good spot Marhay70! Havn't seen this before!
marhay70 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:50 pm The only place he's ever been seriously called out in the media. Ian Hislop didn't give him an inch when he was on a few years ago, he was on the brink of walking out. Fair play to Hislop, he cut through all the bumbling and bluster and went straight to the core of him, Johnson was reeling. Pity more, so called jounalists don't do the same. Andrew Marr had him in a similar position but didn't turn the screw.
Same applies here to Leo the Liar, gets too easy a ride.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

That was some viewing!
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 6456739 »

quodec wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:26 pm Good spot Marhay70! Havn't seen this before!

Thanks. Saves me having to google it.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

I remember there was much talk of Johnson getting the boot once this Sue Gray report came out, the report into number 10s partying 2020 through 2021. Now that it’s out what’s the story?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

knownunknown wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 1:34 pm I remember there was much talk of Johnson getting the boot once this Sue Gray report came out, the report into number 10s partying 2020 through 2021. Now that it’s out what’s the story?
There is no story - just whiny lefties thinking it means their pathetic excuse for a political party will get in.

Boris may be a grade a twat but seriously - a slag like Angela Rayner gets in and the UK will look back at the 70s as the glory days for the economy.

marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Johnson is supported by people who have the same morals as him, i.e. none. Just take a look at the Tory front bench and tell me which one you'd choose to replace Johnson if you were the Tory whips. I'd say none of them, because every one has something they won't want to talk about, and the sickness would just carry on.
Reminiscent of Haughey's front bench during the 1980s, every one of them turned out pure as the driven snow, yeah, and yet we're still voting for at least one of them.
Tory voters are as bad, I watched an interview with constituents in Neil Parish's constituency and to a man they said they would vote for him if he stood again, that's the sort of standards we're dealing with.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

One thing that is noticeably different now is our reaction to these events, the public. I remember the Dominic Cummings interview and he was torn limb from limb. I guess time heals all wounds.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

He survived the no confidence vote. Can’t help but wonder if this was anyone else the story would be spun far different. Instead of ‘he survived the vote… but for how long?” It would be “his haters can’t accept his victory”. Politics is so toxic these days they don’t even try to hide any bias. Rte are as bad as anyone.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

knownunknown wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:48 amPolitics is so toxic these days they don’t even try to hide any bias. Rte are as bad as anyone.
:?: Who or what "they" are you referring to? And/or what bias? The question of how long Johnson can now survive as Prime Minister is perfectly valid, given that this wasn't a vote of (no) confidence in the government, but a vote by, and limited to, members of his own party regarding his fitness for the role, and he couldn't even scrape the support of 60% of that biased electorate.