Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

"Shinner's List"

The burning issues of the day
Del.Monte
Verified Username

"Shinner's List"

Post by Del.Monte »

Nothing like more revisionism to raise my blood pressure and this SF councillor from Limerick suggesting defacing our heritage to satisfy petty republicans is the latest;

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home ... boxes.html

LIMERICK councillors have expressed concerns after Sinn Fein’s John Costelloe called to “angle grind” the royal insignia off Ireland’s postboxes.

During a debate at the metropolitan district on the condition of some mailboxes, the northside councillor tried to “broaden the debate” and said: “Some of the insignia need to be removed.”

“We are now longer under British rule. Why do we have the British insignia along our main thoroughfare? We can grind the insignia off. Let’s put the An Post insignia on it, not the royal coat of arms. We are an independent country,” he said.

Councillor Costelloe suggested “a soft grinder” could be used.
“We do not have to be reminded of Britain’s colonial past. We have had enough of it. The removal of this insignia is a step forward. We all understand our history, but we don’t have to look at it every day of the week,” he added.

But there was huge criticism of his comments, with Labour councillor Conor Sheehan saying he is “alarmed and shocked” and called for a “withdrawal” of the comment.

“Essentially what he’s proposing is taking a grinder to a protected structure. It would be like myself or yourself going to King John’s Castle with a sledgehammer and knocking off part of it,” he added.

Councillor Olivia O’Sullivan, Fine Gael, said: “We are entitled to personal opinions, but we are public representatives here. I think when we bring opinions to this floor, it’s not like we are sitting around with our friends having a conversation. We need to exercise a level of caution and responsibility expressing personal opinion in public.”

Her party colleague, Cllr Daniel McSweeney said: “We cannot erase our past, but I do believe there are some parties in this chamber who have a very dark past and do not want this to be remembered. Unfortunately, an angle grinder will not remove this history.”

But Cllr Costelloe doubled down, and pledged to bring a debate around a Border Poll for a United Ireland to a future meeting, saying: “People down here have buried their head in the sand for 80 years while those in the six counties have suffered.”

He's not the first politician trying to raise his profile by suggesting the removal of royal ciphers from postboxes the last time was some FF TD. The devil makes work for idle hands and if he wants to do something positive about postboxes he could ask An Post to keep them properly maintained as some are very tatty and a poor advertisement for the postal service.
'no more blah blah blah'
kadman
Verified Username

Re: "Shinner's List"

Post by kadman »

I would have thought Councillors had more pressing matters to attend to besides playing with angle grinders.
Sounds like an ideal opportunity for a local Community employment scheme. :)
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

More likely Ne'er-do-wells will take it as a licence to deface public property.
'no more blah blah blah'
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

I'm glad this guy has his priorities right. I'm driving the roads every day and the councils can't even manage the upkeep of the road markings but by all means, get out with the angle grinders to satisfy your petty prejudices. This is the sort of thinking SF like to associate with the DUP.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

marhay70 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:59 am I'm glad this guy has his priorities right. I'm driving the roads every day and the councils can't even manage the upkeep of the road markings but by all means, get out with the angle grinders to satisfy your petty prejudices. This is the sort of thinking SF like to associate with the DUP.
Two sides of the same coin.
'no more blah blah blah'
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Is it bad that I never noticed this insignia before? 😛😅 Maybe it goes with total car blindness, not remembering roads or directions, or peoples names, what they wear, what their jobs are, who shagged who in the village, when and where, and waking up every day as if to a new universe just created 😊

It's great!
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

isha wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:28 am Is it bad that I never noticed this insignia before? 😛😅 Maybe it goes with total car blindness, not remembering roads or directions, or peoples names, what they wear, what their jobs are, who shagged who in the village, when and where, and waking up every day as if to a new universe just created 😊

It's great!
Well thank god for the Councillors who are able to notice all the important things that the ordinary Joe misses. Maybe they deserve their massive one off payments ;)
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

And here it is from my files - I have one for everyone in the audience. :mrgreen:

'no more blah blah blah'
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I am going to get in early on this potential money spinner. ;)
Angle grinder disc 1.25c
1 box per hour.
PPE gear 25 euro
Vacuum hire charge 7.50c per hour.
Labour 65 euro per hour mechanics charge.
Thats 99 euro per box, luvverly jubbly.

Not to forget the backhand charge to the the councillor for giving the tender to me, my brother, my cousin, my sister, my uncle, my da, my mum, my ex wife, my new wife. Anyone really where the money comes back to me.
His charge 50 euro per box.

Jaysus this time next year we will both be millionaires :mrgreen:
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

On another note, we best get our hands on some of these, potentially rare un molested post boxes.

Now that some idiot has even suggested this, it wont be long before a second idiot seconds the motion.
Memento Mori

Post by Memento Mori »

This suggestion is nothing new, its been around for years.

Some people, (who will remain nameless :) ) even had great fun painting red boxes green in the north :)
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I laugh at this idea. While I know the phrase "history is written by the victors" comes to mind, they are part of our history. For a small nut-job minority who want to erase part of our history, I'd love for them to explain rationally how the erasing of history benefits us all now and into the future?

I await a rational response for a civilized discussion.

But, doesn't it show our maturity as a nation when such an item doesn't cause angst to the majority of people? Why should we fall back into the bigoted Royalist view that the "bloody Irish can't be trusted and are all shouting up the 'RA" by getting rid of such symbol's.

For the vast majority of people, I imagine that two figs couldn't be cared about it as we have a LOT more pressing things for councillors to be getting on with.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

No doubt, even as we speak, some other nutjob is hatching plans to get rid of the RNLI, RCSI, Royal Hospital, Royal Victoria Eye and Ear etc. etc.
Obviously, these fcukers don't have enough to occupy their time, maybe we should cut the number of councillors in half in an effort to get value for money.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Memento Mori wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:40 pm This suggestion is nothing new, its been around for years.

Some people, (who will remain nameless :) ) even had great fun painting red boxes green in the north :)
Ironically, post boxes in the UK were painted green until the late 19th century. One of those seemingly pointless pieces of information that regularly come up on QI, and that you store away thinking it will never be of any use, and then. :D
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

He's on Radio 1 now. He's not really explaining himself that well. His main argument is that they belong to An Post and why are we maintaining them!
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

The fool is being given more oxygen on RTE's Drivetime this evening.
'no more blah blah blah'
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I cut off the oxygen from me. I switched it off. I had a very important phone call that was a lot more useful. It was a Microsoft scam call......
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

The Queen has managed to mangle John's phone connection. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
Banshee Bones

Post by Banshee Bones »

The funny thing is that he's a member of a party that adminsters British rule on this Island. SF have to engange in this sort of performative shite as they're neither nationalist or republican in any practical sense, its all just window dressing to keep the older party members happy.