Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Jordan Peterson

The burning issues of the day
46a

Re: Jordan Peterson

Post by 46a »

knownunknown wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:16 pm ‘Grifter’ seems to be one of those words like ‘racist’ and ‘conspiracy theorist’ used only by a certain section of twitter not to expand and encourage conversation, but to shut it down.
Getting calla Grifter, Racist or Conspiracy Theorist has lost all it power, people now juts shrug their shoulders "yeah what ever" doesn't bother people anymore

Post by 967543 »

ancapailldorcha wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:44 pm Bollox. He's copped on to the fact he can make more money grifting than by actually working for a living.
Are you the same virgin knobhead thats over on boards?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Saint_Tibulas wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:59 am Are you the same virgin knobhead thats over on boards?
The very same, if that joey the parrot twat migrates here too am off.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

isha wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:18 am

Just in case anyone didn't hear what Bill Maher said.
Never miss Real Time - and that was an excellent New Rule!!!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:41 am Never miss Real Time - and that was an excellent New Rule!!!!
Oops I thought this was the general affairs chat thread, didn’t mean to go off topic (edited)

Post by 967543 »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:40 am The very same, if that joey the parrot twat migrates here too am off.
Well, unless they get mod powers shouldn't be an issue ...
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Stop bullying people 😡. I hate it. Everyone is entitled to arrive someplace new with no baggage. Leave the past behind.
20220607_151047.jpg
20220607_151047.jpg (62.25 KiB) Viewed 3528 times
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

isha wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:17 pm Stop bullying people 😡. I hate it. Everyone is entitled to arrive someplace new with no baggage. Leave the past behind.

20220607_151047.jpg
I would generally agree - sure I’m a threadbanned former Boarder - but he’s an awful gobshite who ruins every post he touches. He’d kill here.

isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I have NOT noticed that happening at all. People are entitled to be different. And I say that as a former bannee myself.
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:40 am The very same, if that joey the parrot twat migrates here too am off.
@PlaneSpeeking and @Saint_Tibulas please remember not to be a dick.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Guburnor wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:53 pm @PlaneSpeeking and @Saint_Tibulas please remember not to be a dick.
He's not a current GUBU user and I'm afraid the description is entirely warranted - I stand by it I'm afraid.

Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:56 pm He's not a current GUBU user and I'm afraid the description is entirely warranted - I stand by it I'm afraid.
ancapailldorcha is a current user - that's what the friendly reminder was for.

MOD NOTE: You'll get a lot of leeway on here that you won't find elsewhere, but it's not a case of anything goes. PlaneSpeeking banned for 24 hours.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Guburnor wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:13 pm ancapailldorcha is a current user - that's what the friendly reminder was for.

MOD NOTE: You'll get a lot of leeway on here that you won't find elsewhere, but it's not a case of anything goes. PlaneSpeeking banned for 24 hours.
Understood, ban served and will duly note. Thanks.

JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

Fair play on handling it that way, both of ye.
Memento Mori

Post by Memento Mori »

Anyone heading to see the main man himself next month in the point?
Memento Mori

Post by Memento Mori »

I thought this was interesting in places

isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I'm not mad about him, he has become very brittle and often unpleasant, but I was listening recently to a great chat he just has with Iain McGilchrist who is fascinating. The chat was good because of McGilchrist but sure whatever. I have his book on the bedside locker for far too long and I'm going to start it soon. Soooooon!! The Master and his Emissary.
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

isha wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:30 pm I'm not mad about him, he has become very brittle and often unpleasant, ...
Must admit, I'm often disappointed when some of these lads reveal a little too much of themselves! In the early days he spoke a lot of common sense but I think he's falling into the identity politics trap these days; siding with allies regardless their position so long as they identify as conservative.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Cyclepath wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:04 pm Must admit, I'm often disappointed when some of these lads reveal a little too much of themselves! In the early days he spoke a lot of common sense but I think he's falling into the identity politics trap these days; siding with allies regardless their position so long as they identify as conservative.
I'm pretty sure that if ubiquitous social media and the omnipresent eye of the camera were around in the past there are plenty of people who are much looked up to today that would reveal themselves to be very unpleasant people. CG Jung for example, I'd say he was a pain in the hole, maybe Darwin, I'd say he was another PITH. Plato is another likely candidate ☺️. The list is likely long. If I had a podcast I'd say a lot of people would say I'm a gobshyte so I've no illusions.
Memento Mori

Post by Memento Mori »

isha wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:30 pm I'm not mad about him, he has become very brittle and often unpleasant, but I was listening recently to a great chat he just has with Iain McGilchrist who is fascinating. The chat was good because of McGilchrist but sure whatever. I have his book on the bedside locker for far too long and I'm going to start it soon. Soooooon!! The Master and his Emissary.
I think he is like many people who dislike confrontation, they bottle it up somewhat and then gee themselves up bigtime when they feel they are obliged to "fight back" so that it ends up coming out over the top.

Contrast his more combative interviews with the thoughtful conversation above and those he has on his own podcast. In the above interview he goes into his "anger" a fair bit - social media has not helped him as he has something of a thin skin (but then again if I was depicted as some sort of super nazi in a comic book who knows what I would think). He seems to me like a person who is genuinely trying to do good, in a relatively uncommon way, in that he doesn't claim that he has it all figured out but that he is trying, and others should too. I find him likable. 30 years ago he would be doing the rounds on talk shows as a likable academic and the luvvies would like him because he isn't afraid to cry in public.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Have listened to dozens of those Lex Fridman podcasts they are quite interesting and he’s a cool guy too.

I think Mori is right, he’s had an army of trolls following him around making his life a nightmare for a long time, as he says (I’m paraphrasing) ‘I’ve been cancelled hundreds of times, and if you ask anyone that’s ever been cancelled they’ll tell you it’s one of the worst things that’s ever happened to them’.

Initially he became prominent by keeping his cool during the c-16 bill compelled pronoun debate. Getting called all types of names he ploughed on making arguments. The same thing in the Cathy Newman interview, so what you’re saying is…. No I didn’t say that at all please stop putting words in my mouth. Two events that put him in the public eye.

The strategy of these woke right ons I saw summarised on planks recently rather succinctly:

“ No, they just pretend to be kind and hide behind that while subtly antagonising or bullying others in a consistent manner designed to provoke a reaction. Once the reaction occurs they use that to castigate the person whilst proclaiming their own innocence

It's nasty, insidious behaviour, but it sure fools some people.”

Cathy Young wrote of Peterson:

“Peterson's ideas are a mixed bag. He says some sensible and insightful things, and he says some things that rightly draw criticism. But you wouldn't know this from reading Peterson's critics, who generally cast him as a far-right boogeyman riding the wave of a misogynistic backlash”
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Going about my early morning chores, I have been listening to what turned out to be a magnificent discussion between Jordan Peterson and Helen Joyce about gender theory ideology.
At first I thought he would dominate the video by talking too much, and he does a bit, in the beginning. But Helen makes her contributions and is so clear, calm and intelligent, and gradually it really brings out the best in Peterson's offering. The framing he puts on it at the beginning is very strong - what we are seeing is an attempt to dominate the ontological with the epistemological. Reality being supplanted by linguistics and what is said about reality rather than reality itself. I have long said that the use of the very words cis and trans is a subversive attempt to shatter the indivisible ontological category of woman. Female. The conversation covers why it is particularly the female who is the target of this epistemological rampage.

Very good. I really think it deserves a wide audience.

Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Okay, I really am getting old - I only popped into this thread this morning as there was little else happening but without watching various video links (life's too short) I still don't know who/what Jordan Peterson is and don't care. Anybody care two explain - a maximum of two concise sentences and NO links will suffice - thanks!
'no more blah blah blah'
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

He is a psychologist and former university professor from Canada who spoke out initially about compelled speech with respect to gender pronouns.
This brought him to the attention of media globally.
He then started to make videos exploring the place of myth, religion and deep psychology in humans lives.
He particularly addressed the absence of hero figures for males in an increasingly feminised society.
He appealed to a lot of younger males, and older, and his ideas re structure, order, responsibility, meaning, etc, plus his largely male audience, got him labelled alt right etc
He wrote books and gave lectures, including one in Ireland this week which had 10,000+ in attendance.
He had a major nervous breakdown in the wake of his fame, which attracted opprobrium.

I find him brittle by times, easily angered, thin skinned etc. And I find his reliance on Jung etc to be a bit narrow for me. I don't listen to him much, but I don't object to hearing him overly much either.. He does have a place in public discourse. Is intelligent. A needed alternative voice in a world that constantly promotes the idea of toxic masculinity.

Check out the link I left if you have time. It's one of his better interviews in my opinion.

Post by 6456739 »

Del.Monte wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:07 am Okay, I really am getting old - I only popped into this thread this morning as there was little else happening but without watching various video links (life's too short) I still don't know who/what Jordan Peterson is and don't care. Anybody care two explain - a maximum of two concise sentences and NO links will suffice - thanks!
Canadian psychologist who made a name for himself protesting against transgender pronouns. Went on to make a fortune on Patreon spreading culture war much.

A good video debunking him here:

I know you didn't want a link but it's for anyone else who might be interested.