Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Burke family, Castlebar

The burning issues of the day
DeletedUser

Re: Burke family, Castlebar

Post by DeletedUser »

RandallWeems wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:13 am The man should be appladed for sticking to his guns. He has shown integrty. Some of his methods might not be approved but someone has to stand up to any school tat will put feelings about hard scientific facts. Its a shocking disgrace that he was put in jail for highlighting how silly teh school is being.
Yeah see this is more crap - would not surprise me if you were Dame Beasty herself trolling.

I agree the pronouns stuff is utter crap but he wasnt jailed for that - he was jailed for refusing to abide by a court order barring him from threatening the school Principal.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Cyclepath wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:31 am Yeah I see the issue here alright - and if it wasn't for a well documented track record on the part of most of the family members, I'd probably have more sympathy for him!

I despise the pronoun police and general b0lloxology that's taken off in recent years, but this particular hill isn't the one you want to die on. Any sensible person would vocalise their distaste and get on with the business of teaching while simply avoiding the use of pronouns.

It's actually quite easy - you don't have to use any pronouns at all. Simply stop talking about that person in the third person. If you must refer to the person, use their name rather than he/him/she/her/they/them. When addressing the person just avoid using Mr/Mrs/Ms etc.

This scenario was raised in my workplace during a Diversity and Inclusion session. When asked how I would refer to someone that requested pronouns that didn't seem to align with their presenting gender, I said that I would make concerted efforts to avoid referring to that person at all. They asked why and I answered that the situation would be fraught with risk to my own employment.

The risk of misinterpretation, or an honest mistaken use of a pronoun could trigger a response from HR that would endanger me personally. So why take the risk? There was a general agreement with that point and I reckon it really got people thinking about the possibilities.

I think that this may become more of an issue in the future, whereby people actively avoid trans folks that appear in any way militant around pronouns. It's simple risk avoidance. Or maybe who knows, we'll all learn to live in gender bending harmony...
Or maybe who knows, we'll all learn to live in gender bending harmony...

We used to - it was called the 70s/80s and it was glorious!!!

Men could dress lavishly, women could look sexy with suits and ties and cropped hair and we didnt need a label other than "New Romantic" or similar.

I miss those days.

Yours, PS - tomboy of 52 years standing!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:36 pm Or maybe who knows, we'll all learn to live in gender bending harmony...

We used to - it was called the 70s/80s and it was glorious!!!

Men could dress lavishly, women could look sexy with suits and ties and cropped hair and we didnt need a label other than "New Romantic" or similar.

I miss those days.

Yours, PS - tomboy of 52 years standing!
Yep! I remember the 80s as a 'new romantic'. We really pushed the boundary! I was wearing 'guyliner', batwing sparkly jumpers, headbands, leg warmers - you name it. :lol:

But of course nobody was triggered by bullshit 'micro-aggressions' back then...
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Cyclepath wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:58 pm Yep! I remember the 80s as a 'new romantic'. We really pushed the boundary! I was wearing 'guyliner', batwing sparkly jumpers, headbands, leg warmers - you name it. :lol:

But of course nobody was triggered by bullshit 'micro-aggressions' back then...
I once met Adam Ant dressed "normal" - not the same, the man rocked the lippy!!!!!

Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:11 pm I once met Adam Ant dressed "normal" - not the same, the man rocked the lippy!!!!!
Wow, when was that?! I was working in London around 2001 and saw him in my local pub 'The Prince of Wales' near Kentish Town. If my mate hadn't pointed him out, I'd never have known! He was balding on top and good bit chunkier than he was in the 80s. The following year he was actually arrested for producing a gun in the same pub. He was charged with ABH on another punter! :shock:
RandallWeems

Post by RandallWeems »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:34 pm Yeah see this is more crap - would not surprise me if you were Dame Beasty herself trolling.

I agree the pronouns stuff is utter crap but he wasnt jailed for that - he was jailed for refusing to abide by a court order barring him from threatening the school Principal.
I am Irish not English and Im do not support FFG or the trans stuff over on that site. If you cant engage in teh discussion thats fine resorting to insults is not the way.

He was jailed because of an unjust court order that stopped him from standing up for what he believe in. The same thing the rest of us believe. It didn’t work and he stood up and that takes guts. If more people dont stand up to this nonsense it will start to spread.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

RandallWeems wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:35 pm I am Irish not English and Im do not support FFG or the trans stuff over on that site. If you cant engage in teh discussion thats fine resorting to insults is not the way.

He was jailed because of an unjust court order that stopped him from standing up for what he believe in. The same thing the rest of us believe. It didn’t work and he stood up and that takes guts. If more people dont stand up to this nonsense it will start to spread.
On the face of it, I would agree. I think it is brave to stand up for reality in the face of ideology.

But this fellow seems to be a bit of a pain, and I think he was jailed for breaching an injunction and being abusive. A silent sit in protest would probably have been better. But then of course he could have been ignored. Like males in the women's prison in Limerick. Or hundreds of Irish children having been sent to the UK for their puberties to be "blocked" etc

Pity it's this weirdo who is taking a stand as now everyone can be tarred with the same brush.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

RandallWeems wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:35 pm I am Irish not English and Im do not support FFG or the trans stuff over on that site. If you cant engage in teh discussion thats fine resorting to insults is not the way.

Horseshit! He was jailed for contempt of court. Simple as that. There was a court order not to go near the school and he chose to ignore it (for whatever reason). Why was the court order granted not to go near the school, the behaviour exhibited at the function and was suspended pending investigation.

He vocally disagreed with a direction of the principal, his line manager. All he's looking for now is to be a martyr.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Beasty is English? Jesus that figures.

You’re a troll. End of debate.

isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Just to say, I don't mind disagreement. In fact it's rather boring if everyone agrees with me.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:30 pm Beasty is English? Jesus that figures.

I wouldn’t be so sure, I didn’t see them attack anyone and they made some genuine points also some points I disagree with. Anyway commenting on it isn’t nice.
RandallWeems

Post by RandallWeems »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:30 pm Beasty is English? Jesus that figures.

Your a troll! Your a troll! If you dont like the points I make then either ignore them or debate them. Thats what this site is all about. You cant just silence people with childish accusations on here.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

knownunknown wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:14 pm I wouldn’t be so sure, I didn’t see them attack anyone and they made some genuine points also some points I disagree with. Anyway commenting on it isn’t nice.
Read their post about Jordan Petersen - absolute WUM 100%

DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

RandallWeems wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:24 pm Your a troll! Your a troll! If you dont like the points I make then either ignore them or debate them. Thats what this site is all about. You cant just silence people with childish accusations on here.
a) It’s “you’re”.

And b) how pray tell can one debate “I’m a big manly man, you females bow before my manliness and you gays leave me be!”

RandallWeems

Post by RandallWeems »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:39 pm a) It’s “you’re”.

And b) how pray tell can one debate “I’m a big manly man, you females bow before my manliness and you gays leave me be!”
A) Im sorry my spelling and grammer isnt up to your high standards. Most people dont feel the need the point it out or take a low shot when they understand the overall point.

B) You can ignore it. I never said anything about my manilness and I have nothing against gay people I just shouldnt have to be exposed to their lifestyle if I dont want it. Pretty much what mr burke is fighting against and I think a Christian school should be backing him up and not putting him in jail.
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:37 pm Read their post about Jordan Petersen - absolute WUM 100%
MOD NOTE: Please remember not to be a dick.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Guburnor wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:09 pm MOD NOTE: Please remember not to be a dick.
Fair point but obvious wind ups should be called out surely?

DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

RandallWeems wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:01 pm A) Im sorry my spelling and grammer isnt up to your high standards. Most people dont feel the need the point it out or take a low shot when they understand the overall point.

B) You can ignore it. I never said anything about my manilness and I have nothing against gay people I just shouldnt have to be exposed to their lifestyle if I dont want it. Pretty much what mr burke is fighting against and I think a Christian school should be backing him up and not putting him in jail.
For the thousandth fcking time the imbecile is not hailed for his views.

He is jailed for ignoring a court order. Now bye bye, cos you’ll end up getting me banned and you ain’t worth it.

Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:41 pm Fair point but obvious wind ups should be called out surely?
If you're convinced somebody is trying to wind you up, sure call them out on it without being a dick. If you can't do that, best just to ignore.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Guburnor wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:03 pm If you're convinced somebody is trying to wind you up, sure call them out on it without being a dick. If you can't do that, best just to ignore.
Fair point! Thank you - it’s not even good trolling tbh, I’ve seen waaaay better!!!

That’s my last comment to he who lives under bridge!!! Night all!!

artybike

Post by artybike »

RandallWeems wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:13 am The man should be appladed for sticking to his guns. He has shown integrty. Some of his methods might not be approved but someone has to stand up to any school tat will put feelings about hard scientific facts. Its a shocking disgrace that he was put in jail for highlighting how silly teh school is being.
I don't' know one Evangelical Christian, in the West of Ireland, who've come across the Burkes, who would use a word like 'integrity' to describe them.

They tore apart the CU (Christian Union) in UCG/NUIG/UG
They've refused to associate with any other Christians other than ... well, themselves
All discourse they've had with fellow believers is confrontational, dismissive and deeply disrespectful
Their use of scripture with regard to their behaviour & views is highly selective
They've targeted & slandered church leaders
They are extremely litigious

They got lucky with this 'issue'
This is them... in their own words. I strongly advise you to check it out. Due to the publicity from mainstream media (and us) it appears they don't feel the need to make a broadcast on this current matter
https://www.youtube.com/c/BurkeBroadcast/videos
RandallWeems

Post by RandallWeems »

He is showing integrity by standing up to the woke brigade and not bowing to their nonsense trying to get him to say black is white. The fact he is willin to go to jail for his beliefs is admirable and the highest integrity.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

RandallWeems wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:09 pm He is showing integrity by standing up to the woke brigade and not bowing to their nonsense trying to get him to say black is white. The fact he is willin to go to jail for his beliefs is admirable and the highest integrity.
This point seems to be flying over the heads of the ‘glad he’s still in prison’ lot. They are also estimating his legal costs with glee. Disturbed people truly.

Seems obvious to me they’re just happy opposition to this pronoun stuff is silenced, at least temporarily. The same kinds of people that constantly go on about this stuff.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Well, does anyone know if he has purged his contempt yet?
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

A Google search for “Enoch Burke contempt” specifying news in the last week throws up zero results. Irish media is a fecking joke.

The same search without the word ‘contempt’ brings up a few results from different countries in different languages.