Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Elon Musk buys 100% of Twitter

The burning issues of the day
knownunknown

Re: Elon Musk buys 100% of Twitter

Post by knownunknown »

nlgbbbblth wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:53 am It surprises me that Twitter have (that many) employees.

Anytime I have had to contact Twitter, Facebook or Ebay about an issue, I either get no response or a formulaic one that's scripted by a bot. So what do these employees actually do?
Twitter became the public marketplace of ideas and then it became consumed with ideology. This ideology looks to sow discord and create division despite what it may profess about ‘inclusivity’. The world would be a much better place if twitter hadn’t gone down the road it did of censorship and unfair application of their rules. Maybe a lot of these jobs needed to go, there was just no other way around it. I’m sure they will get nice settlements.

“Let’s build on our differences” -https://careers.twitter.com/en/diversity.html#BRGs
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Hugh_Bigazz wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:10 pm Ah yes, they gave 15 minutes notice!!!

Jesus,was under impression this was a notice of upcoming redundancies,not imminent......hopefully,them employees can take em to the cleaners aswell as the Twitter employees.....I dislike notion anyone can be sacked/let go on a whim like that

The world needs stronger unions and laws to require recognition of em,this shouldn't be normal or accepted
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
Hugh_Bigazz

Post by Hugh_Bigazz »

Setanta wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:15 pm Jesus,was under impression this was a notice of upcoming redundancies,not imminent......hopefully,them employees can take em to the cleaners aswell as the Twitter employees.....I dislike notion anyone can be sacked/let go on a whim like that
It's just as crass but like I said the Irish media dressed it up as the Govt invested heavily in Stripe only last year!!
Setanta wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:15 pm The world needs stronger unions and laws to require recognition of em,this shouldn't be normal or accepted
You mean like the 2018 bill to strengthen unions the Govt voted against?
(sorry, edited this, it's the 2018 bill before the Dail in 2020)
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

I’m all for unions but what happens if the job only sowed discord and created division? Not every job is equal. Troll farms in Russia and China employ people I’m sure no one would be looking to protect those jobs. I see these people at twitter as exactly the same. The ones that were working to shape communities by shadow banning people. Their security council was far more concerned with people’s feelings then it was for the actual security of peoples real lives.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/10/17/tech ... index.html
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ent-spying

Post by 95438756 »

Video Creator wants Musk specifically to pay them $8 to him for watching the video Everyone else can watch it free - Creator sez so in video
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Anyone think this could be true?
It seems bad, if true. I dunno.

Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

isha wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:47 am Anyone think this could be true?
It seems bad, if true. I dunno.

Wouldn’t surprise me. Musk should know one way or the other as he now has all the behind the scenes information.

A slight tangent but the blue check mark was never about being verified it was about being endorsed by twitter, this was evident when they removed loads of blue check marks when Parag Agrawal became CEO about a year ago.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/s ... -accounts/
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I've seen online that Twitter are not trying to hire back some people they left go as they realised they need them.

Oops!
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Last time I saw this many on planks this upset about something was Donald Trump himself. Musk derangement syndrome is the new virus taking over the world.

The previous team at twitter banned people like James o Keefe of project veritas for parody, he wrote that he was a buzz feed journalist in his twitter bio, which is clearly a joke as they were quite left leaning and he was on the right. He is one of the last remaining investigative journalists who actually go undercover to expose things. He was kicked off twitter for impersonating someone else, years ago now. Impersonating people has always been against the rules of twitter I linked previously, it was the first rule of the first set of rules ever drafted and never removed. It’s like if I were to put in my signature, ‘boards moderator’ it’s clearly untrue and a joke but I’m not actually impersonating anyone.

The trolls would have you believe that the left wing posters such as Cathy griffin are being banned for parody though, it’s a complete fabrication. They are impersonating other people. They are changing their names to Elon musk and using his picture then complaining when they get suspended. It’s not a joke and can’t even be interpreted as funny, typical of Cathy griffin. I remember a poster appeared here that had the same name as a planks admin yet wasn’t verified, helmet head himself. People look unkindly on this sort of thing, all people everywhere-it’s not a culture war thing.

They are delusional or such outright liars they are willing to say anything to score points and ultimately get their way. They have zero integrity and no principles, it’s all about winning.

https://web.archive.org/web/20090118211 ... ries/18311
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

All this because they fired a few employees! When a lot of coal miner were losing their jobs, the type from the pleb class, the media spread the meme “learn to code” as the default solution to unemployment and under-employment.

https://brightthemag.com/you-can-teach- ... 8fe57cdb4e (journalists tell coal miners to learn to code in Appalachia)
https://thehill.com/changing-america/en ... n-to-code/ (Biden tells coal miners to learn to code)
https://beltmag.com/appalachia-coding-bootcamps/ (coding boot camps in Appalachia are grifters, coal miners file suit).

This meme was fired right back at the buzzeed journalists when they went tits up and what did Twitter do? They banned anyone who said it. I have very little sympathy for these employees. The journalists took offence and reported this as harassment, the same journalists that wrote the articles about the coal miners. Twitter as a company took the side of the journalists.

Hugh_Bigazz

Post by Hugh_Bigazz »

isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Eliza Bleu is a human trafficking survivor who has been working really hard to get child sex abuse material off Twitter. She says that the report system has been hugely improved, 3 major hashtags used to share the material have been fully cleared out, and she feels really hopeful that it is finally being taken seriously. Musk has tweeted her posts too, so it's not accidental..

I don't give a crap about a former US President being allowed to use a public platform, he should not have been banned - I can block whoever I want, as can anyone. But the festering problem of child abuse materials and Minor Attracted Person's (🤮) swarming the place (and all large social media platforms) is a much more important issue.

knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Apparently some were asking about Alex Jones as well. That man is hated by the EU and US governments more than anyone else on earth.

Babylon Bee are back too.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

knownunknown wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:45 am Apparently some were asking about Alex Jones as well. That man is hated by the EU and US governments more than anyone else on earth.

Babylon Bee are back too.
In fairness Alex Jones is really a nasty jerk. He should have called a halt to his grift a long time ago. The whole trope of Sandy Hook as a fake false flag etc was really horrible and disgusting. Then again, sure, if I'm an absolutist re free speech he should be allowed to speak on a platform as much as the Iranian government who are executing people for daring to protest.

I have not seen much of a problem with Babylon Bee, though to be honest I have not seen much of them at all. Just not following accounts seems to mean you don't see them. Feck it, i hardly see most of the accounts I do follow!
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

isha wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:58 am In fairness Alex Jones is really a nasty jerk. He should have called a halt to his grift a long time ago. The whole trope of Sandy Hook as a fake false flag etc was really horrible and disgusting. Then again, sure, if I'm an absolutist re free speech he should be allowed to speak on a platform as much as the Iranian government who are executing people for daring to protest.

I have not seen much of a problem with Babylon Bee, though to be honest I have not seen much of them at all. Just not following accounts seems to mean you don't see them. Feck it, i hardly see most of the accounts I do follow!
If nasty jerk was the criteria to get people banned there are thousands nastier than him. They’re not removing Jones’s right to speak but are rather removing our right to listen to him which is far more important. I’m not happy with anyone deciding who I listen to, that’s my right alone.
Hugh_Bigazz

Post by Hugh_Bigazz »

isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

That was to be expected. Truth Social or whatever it's called is bigly better.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Alex jones did a documentary with Robert Fisk and a producer from channel 4 in 2000. An exposure into bohemian grove. Very difficult to find on Google if you don’t know exactly what to look for. He has never come across as a dick to me actually he’s quite entertaining to listen to. The stuff about sandyhook certainly crossed a line into deplorable but he took that risk many times and it turned out he was right. Every time we speak we risk being wrong and Hilary Clinton didn’t care how many times jones apologized for this and admitted he was wrong. They sued him for 1billion and the court case was a mockery of the legal system.

It’s amazing that the motto of a good scientist and a nut job conspiracy theorist are exactly the same; question everything.

Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Well, some employees have run to the courts to force Musk to follow the law in Europe.

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2022/112 ... njunction/

I hope Musk looses big time to show employers that they cant do what they want in Europe
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

It's odd that people are getting annoyed about Musk over and above other corporate controllers.

Amazon famously is a horrible place to work, there are documented examples of workers having to pee in bottles and yet no one in RTE goes on about Jeff Bezos.

Amazon has low pay rates, the highest employee attrition rate of almost any global company, high injury rates, and in the US Bezos' company was systematically short-changing employees on their already low salaries as shown in a 2021 investigation.

Twitter employs(ed) 500 here in Ireland at top tier wages in enviable conditions, Amazon employs 5000 and, in spite of its deplorable ethos re employees and their work conditions, the government and media fall over themselves to praise and facilitate Amazon.

There are massive pharmaceutical corporations working here whose parent companies have had to issue billions in damages claims over the years for verified harm and actual death caused by their products. Again red carpet and fawning. No insightful media pieces on their dodgy histories.

The pundits should keep some perspective when they are ranting because the wrong guy owns Twitter. Let them all have their court cases, no problems, I have no objections and am a big believer in employees rights, including being a union member - remember those old fashioned things?

But seriously the derangement about Twitter, a place where the vast, vast majority post idiotic/ amusing/ personal stuff that has zilch to do with politics or anything remotely serious, is reminding me of the derangement re Trump, an oaf of an American president fairly indistinguishable from previous or present oafish incumbents in terms of effects on reality.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

And that's why I try to avoid buying from Amazon where possible. At the moment, I'm looking on Easons.ie for some book bargain black Friday offers.
mmercedes84

Post by mmercedes84 »

I would say for Amazon you know what you are getting , it's a cut throat place to work. They exploit employees sure but the US system is set up for it. Lot of people work there as they have no choice.

Twitter bashing since Musk took is just the new trendy thing by the masses. Musk gives zero shits I would bet as Twitter is always in the media.

These days all news is good news. I'd like to see what Musk does , it's his company , set up in a capitalist society - think he's a fairly intelligent chap and those throwing stones at him woildnt last 5 mins in his position.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

isha wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:55 am It's odd that people are getting annoyed about Musk over and above other corporate controllers.

Amazon famously is a horrible place to work, there are documented examples of workers having to pee in bottles and yet no one in RTE goes on about Jeff Bezos.

Amazon has low pay rates, the highest employee attrition rate of almost any global company, high injury rates, and in the US Bezos' company was systematically short-changing employees on their already low salaries as shown in a 2021 investigation.

Twitter employs(ed) 500 here in Ireland at top tier wages in enviable conditions, Amazon employs 5000 and, in spite of its deplorable ethos re employees and their work conditions, the government and media fall over themselves to praise and facilitate Amazon.

There are massive pharmaceutical corporations working here whose parent companies have had to issue billions in damages claims over the years for verified harm and actual death caused by their products. Again red carpet and fawning. No insightful media pieces on their dodgy histories.

The pundits should keep some perspective when they are ranting because the wrong guy owns Twitter. Let them all have their court cases, no problems, I have no objections and am a big believer in employees rights, including being a union member - remember those old fashioned things?

But seriously the derangement about Twitter, a place where the vast, vast majority post idiotic/ amusing/ personal stuff that has zilch to do with politics or anything remotely serious, is reminding me of the derangement re Trump, an oaf of an American president fairly indistinguishable from previous or present oafish incumbents in terms of effects on reality.
There’s a thread on planks about it created by one of the sufferers of Trump derangement syndrome. “ Twitter - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part LIV”.

The opening line of the opening paragraph is very illuminating.

“If Elon Musk buys Twitter that Clown Trump will be back on it as Elon Musk is a supporter of him. That is not good.”. And that is how trump derangement syndrome became Musk derangement syndrome. That’s what they care about.
KHD

Post by KHD »

knownunknown wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:03 pm There’s a thread on planks about it created by one of the sufferers of Trump derangement syndrome. “ Twitter - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part LIV”.

The opening line of the opening paragraph is very illuminating.

“If Elon Musk buys Twitter that Clown Trump will be back on it as Elon Musk is a supporter of him. That is not good.”. And that is how trump derangement syndrome became Musk derangement syndrome. That’s what they care about.
I notice on twitter now, ( as a non twitter user ) that I can scroll through people's profiles rather than say two or three tweets and then the log in prompt came up. This has been a right pain in the arse for me as I follow alot of twitter people for various interesting information and then had to switch to telegram for some of the accounts but they don't update them as much as their twitter profiles, so that's one thing I will give him. :)

I have been very cynical about Elon's take over of twitter, I think it is just a publicity stunt... release a few of Elon's "controversial" buddies from twitter jail, p1ss off the woke and lefties as if it is something that is going to change the world and we'll all be living in an age of world peace.

I disagree with you Isha ( very rare I do sorry, but maybe I picked you up wrong ) that twitter is an apolitical landscape where it's mostly trivial rubbish and celebratory content, which there is alot of. Twitter is a perfect platform for state and governmental disinformation campaigns that shape people's opinions, discredit journalists that are releasing information that governments don't want released or prepping populations for difficult decisions ahead on a global level. I've read very comprehensive studies on American, Russian, Chinese and Iranian use of bot farms that have massive campaigns utilising millions of bot accounts that are used to shape opinions and spread propaganda that eventually becomes mainstream media thinking. I'll create a thread on this at some stage if anyone is interested. I have an interesting and long study on how there are only really four main media outlets left and most other media outlets just use the articles from the big four. ( Check out the sources of what rte.ie or independent.ie put out and look at the source of most of the international articles that are political in nature ) We live in a increasingly smaller planet with regard to the news that we are given to consume, and I mean important news and information.

So twitter along with other social platforms are a way for independent journalists / commentators to get their message out ( before they are quickly shutdown or mass reported ) that may be at odds to what we are all reading and watching or that main stream media have been told to ignore. It is also a major tool for manipulation. I was reading an article about the British Army's informational warfare unit where a technology journalist got a tour of about 8 or 9 years ago... it was set up like a marketing department. I cannot for the life of me find the article ( I will find it when I have time as it is very insightful ) but you can imagine the level of sophistication things have now gotten to in this regard.

Do I have any confidence in a billionaire businessman, with contracts with the Pentagon, is going to get rid of bot farms, or unsuspend independent journalists who reported uncomfortable news and information that governments don't want us normal people to hear from the likes of war zones ? No, I don't think he'll do any of that. The only controversial twitter accounts that will be unsuspended will be accounts of people that are controversial to say lefties or the woke brigade... which is all well and good but there are more serious geo political issues in the world where people are dying of war and starvation, countries are being over thrown, trillions being spent on military equipment while people in these countries are homeless and can't afford to eat or lads messing in biolabs that are trying to weaponise the latest doomsday virus. Yes I think Covid escaped because some gobshite was clumsy or not paying attention. He will repackage all of this practice as some sort of monumental freedom of press and expression... and we will all swallow it and feel that the world is finally going in the right direction for about five minutes as that is what our attention span to anything seems now due to the brick we keep attached to us at all times.

Fook him, he's just a billionaire with new toy... we all buy into this bullshit and get caught up in it while billions of people around the world are living in poverty.

It really drives me bonkers that this is the type of shit people are up in arms over.

And after the above rant do I think anything will change with regard to the shite we are presented with by the likes of the mainstream media ? Not a chance, I accept this. It doesn't matter if someone comes out with the most lubricious story that is a complete lie. By the time it takes for someone to find out it was a complete lie, it will have been amplified millions of times, read by 10s of millions of people and the truth gets buried or ignored as people will have already got the lie engrained on their brains. As far as I'm concerned we live in a completely controlled environment that's dictated by our smart phones and TV, years ago we could shut off from all of this, not now unless you throw the phone in the bin... but who can do that now?. Ask yourself today how much of your thinking today was created for you by your smart phone rather than having thoughts on creativity or something that wasn't brought to you by your mobile phone or the TV. I maybe going down the rabbit hole too far on this... time for me to hit the hay and stop typing :mrgreen: