Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Elon Musk buys 100% of Twitter

The burning issues of the day
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Re: Elon Musk buys 100% of Twitter

Post by Cyclepath »

isha wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:50 am Globally in 2021 defense spending was 2113 billion. That's armaments mostly. That's about what Musk spent on Twitter being spent every week on bombs and guns and big planes etc.
So if everyone stopped buying stuff from the military industrial complex for a wet fortnight in September they could probably eliminate a great many serious world problems. Eliminating world hunger for good is said to cost about 300 billion.
But they don't, and they haven't, and they won't, and it's a bit silly to talk about how a specific billionaire spends his baubles compared to such and such and etc etc.
I don't much like the guy but these noughts on a screen are not that big of a deal to people like him.
If all these billionaire pricks stepped up to Warren Buffet's level we could end world hunger. Buffet has given away about 40% ($46bn) of his wealth over the years.

Having said that, Musk has just donated $5.7bn to charity but it's most likely gone into a Donor Advised Fund which is a black box in terms of knowing who gets the money. It can sit there for years without actually being distributed and it costs him 30-40% less due to tax allowances on charitable donations. But it's still a lot of cash that some charities are going to get.
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

He definitely loves a bit of trolling!

Seanybiker

Post by Seanybiker »

Woohoo LibsofTiktok is after getting hapes more followers since being doxxed and then a lot of people returning now the cant get banned for opinions. Good craic now.
Seanybiker

Post by Seanybiker »

Celchick wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:58 pm I got told "your account is locked for a minimum of a week" (because I'm a critic of gender woo)... and then it was unlocked after a few seconds. 😊
ha ha ha Twitter must have been anti langer.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:11 pm I'm not on twitter but do be checking in on it regularly. Today though I notice that after scrolling down one page it comes up with a message saying to log in. Frustrating as I couldn't be assed registering.
I’ve never had an account on Twitter but every time I scroll down once I’ve clicked into a tweet I’ve always been asked to create an account. I’ve never been able to scroll very far! Was this not how it worked for everyone? Maybe the rumours about differential treatment were true.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Someone buys something I don't use. How does this impact me again?
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

I don’t use Tiktok or Facebook either but news articles don’t regularly cite Facebook or tiktok, they do regularly cite ‘tweets’, it’s presented as content. If we’re going to grant authority to twitter, which the fourth estate did, it should at least be fair and unbiased, which it wasn’t.

Once musk takes the reigns I think I’ll open an account for the first time ever.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Still not a fan of his, but fair fcuks to him, he has a sense of humour...😄
20220430_083911.jpg
20220430_083911.jpg (172.96 KiB) Viewed 4249 times
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

AOC is one right weapon - if she’s taken down a peg or two that can only be good.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

isha wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:41 am Still not a fan of his, but fair fcuks to him, he has a sense of humour...😄
Was never previously a fan, but I'm warming to him now I must admit. Find this whole stunt, or whatever it is, quite entertaining.
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

Elon Musk is rapidly becoming public enemy No 1 in the US:

Brand him like Trump, sure what could go wrong!
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

So a letter was sent to brands like Coca Cola asking them to boycott sponsors with twitter should Musk take over. Who composed this letter and which groups were behind it?

The daily mail are reporting George Soros, Clinton and Obama staffers as well as European governments. Let the conspiracies begin!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... paign.html
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

I won't be surprised if this takeover is the ruination of Twitter, Tesla, or Musk, or all three. Musk has used his overvalued shares in Tesla and bet everything on overvalued shares in Twitter. It'll end in tears!
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Scotty wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:15 am I won't be surprised if this takeover is the ruination of Twitter, Tesla, or Musk, or all three. Musk has used his overvalued shares in Tesla and bet everything on overvalued shares in Twitter. It'll end in tears!
Agree that his Tesla stock is massively overvalued, but by buying part of twitter he’s actually diversified more than when most of his wealth was in Tesla.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

knownunknown wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:49 pm Agree that his Tesla stock is massively overvalued, but by buying part of twitter he’s actually diversified more than when most of his wealth was in Tesla.
His wealth is still in Tesla though. He's borrowed most of the money to purchase Twitter using Twitter itself and his Tesla shares as collateral. If one fails, they all fail.

One day, people are going to realise that a website that's always lost money is not worth $44,000,000,000 on any planet, and that an electric car company, who's current value is 12 times what it was pre covid, could easily return to it's pre covid value when the movement of oil and fuel prices return to normal.

Musk can't keep his mouth shut when he needs to. He could easily wipe billions off the value of Twitter/Tesla with just a few tweets. If they drop too low.... it's all over.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Scotty wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:45 pm His wealth is still in Tesla though. He's borrowed most of the money to purchase Twitter using Twitter itself and his Tesla shares as collateral. If one fails, they all fail.

One day, people are going to realise that a website that's always lost money is not worth $44,000,000,000 on any planet, and that an electric car company, who's current value is 12 times what it was pre covid, could easily return to it's pre covid value when the movement of oil and fuel prices return to normal.

Musk can't keep his mouth shut when he needs to. He could easily wipe billions off the value of Twitter/Tesla with just a few tweets. If they drop too low.... it's all over.
All his wealth was already tied to Tesla anyway so I suppose it’s much of a muchness, at least until he sold that 10% recently.

I’d say if anything makes it fail it won’t be implementing free speech laws already supported by law, but because cabals such as posted above get their way and control what information you and I both have access to.

Remember when 50 top information experts came out and said that the Hunter Biden laptop was hacked disinformation spread by the Russians? https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/1 ... nfo-430276. Or what about when Iraq had weapons of mass destruction? What if you weren’t allowed to hold a contrary belief to popular opinion in that time and were banned from social media for spreading misinformation. Especially when there was so much evidence to point to the contrary.

Twitter not only banned public posting of the Hunter Biden story (much like boards did) but it was also restricted it from being sent in private messages! We don’t need anyone to control disinformation, especially when those those in power get it so incredibly wrong so often, even more especially when the information they restrict and censor is political in nature, which most of it
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Everyone, it's all okay. Nina will save the world from Disinformation. 🙂

schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

Our President weighs in on the issue - ‘Incredibly dangerous narcissism’ – President Michael D Higgins slams Elon Musk Twitter takeover move
He went off script while speaking about the role of media in raising climate action issues and while he did not refer to Mr Musk by name, he spoke about how “someone announces they are able to buy Twitter”.

“A multi-billionaire would be now deciding what it's appropriate for people to exchange in public discourse,” he said.
Does he think the idea of billionaires owning media companies is a new thing?!!
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Michael D has long given me such a pain in the backside. I suppose the best that could be said about his remark is it takes a narcissist to know a narcissist. 🙄 He never made a squeak about it when rich Saudis and monster globalist investment companies owned the fecken thing.
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

isha wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:08 pm Michael D has long given me such a pain in the backside. I suppose the best that could be said about his remark is it takes a narcissist to know a narcissist. 🙄 He never made a squeak about it when rich Saudis and monster globalist investment companies owned the fecken thing.
Did he ever publicly slam Denis O'Brien for buying up newspapers and radio stations closer to home?
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

Another day, another hit piece in the New York Times

knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Apparently former CEO Jack Dorsey had a lot to do with Musk’s takeover as well and they’ve turned on him just as quick. They can’t turn everyone into Donald trump, as much as they try. People only have so much patience for this shite.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-shadow ... 1651260119
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

‘freedom toons’ has a solution for anyone upset with twitter’s new ownership. We should get Michael D working on it immediately. (Warning may contain comedy)

knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Project veritas released an undercover video with a twitter executive(who thought he was on a date) where he was seen to repeatedly mock Elon Musk for having Aspergers and being ‘special’. He then goes onto say how they need to get rid of Musk in order to prevent hate speech on their platform.
Hate speech is "usually thought to include communications of animosity or disparagement of an individual or a group on account of a group characteristic such as race, colour, national origin, sex, disability, religion, or sexual orientation"
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

Musk want's proof that spam bots make up no more than 5% of Twitters userbase before he hands over any money. Twitter aren't complying.

This could still all be Musk flexing with no purchase ever actually intended. Musk is no fool. He know to ever make money Twitter will need serious ad revenue and that's never going to come with an unmoderated (ie. no free speech) platform.