Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Theory - A lot of problems in Ireland boil down to planning and insurance.

The burning issues of the day
Hairy-Joe

Theory - A lot of problems in Ireland boil down to planning and insurance.

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I've a thought that may not be strong enough for a theory but I think a lot of the problems in Ireland boil down to our planning permission system and insurance/compo culture.

Let me explain.

Getting planning for anything here in Ireland takes YEARS. Getting planning for any infrastructure, large scale housing, etc just gets dragged through courts for years, ramping up costs that we all have to pay for. A big problem is housing. A lot of the big housing schemes get stuck in planning quagmire ramping up the costs. I heard on the radio that for offshore wind farm off Bray, they are allowing 10 YEARS for planning to be sorted!

The compo culture and massive payouts means massive insurance and this drives either businesses to close or massive price rises. I saw it myself recently at a glamping site that has just opened. The first weekend, a child fell over their own bike and cut themselves. The following day, the parents were seen taking pictures and measurements where the child fell over their bike. The owner is giving serious thoughts to closing already......

I reckon massively streamlining planning and tackling compo claims would go a long way to fixing Ireland's problems.

Re: Theory - A lot of problems in Ireland boil down to planning and insurance.

Post by 95438756 »

Planning: The group think is that it's stupid to put so much effort into planning. This is what Project Management is about. Project Management is'nt taken seriously here. Google as well as PMI, an international group do Level 6 Certifications. But yeah, here in Ireland no one cares.

Insurance: the insurance industry is profiting from the present situation!
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Whatever about planning - there's little evidence of it in Ireland, and as for the feckin offshore windfarms - it's enough to push me into the nuclear lobby.
'no more blah blah blah'
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Del.Monte wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:12 pm Whatever about planning - there's little evidence of it in Ireland, and as for the feckin offshore windfarms - it's enough to push me into the nuclear lobby.
Drive the M11 between Gorey and Arklow and view the travesty of Croghan Mountain. Offshore will look wonderful after that
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Makes no difference if you get planning in 1 year or 10 years. The problems start from the first sod turned in a green field project.
There is absolutely no regulations or inspections and accountablility on any building project in the country, from small domestic dwellings to commercial large scale projects.
I have never seen any engineer/architect/ builder going to prison for falsification of sign offs, for any project in the country. I was asked once to sign off completion certs as an engineer, which I refused point blank, only to be asked to sign off as the architect on a large scale apartment block, which I refused.
Dirty goings on is common place in the construction industry, never mind all the polava about green energy builds and retrofitting, which should be called retroshafting which will happen when you sign up for it.

Ireland could give lessons to the mafia on corruption.