Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Italian Elections

The burning issues of the day
Mirabeau

Italian Elections

Post by Mirabeau »

So, another European election, this time in Italy.

In July, the coalition government (national unity gov.) led by former banker and saviour of the Euro, Mario Draghi, fell.
He stated that he was proEU, proNATO, supported Ukraine and was committed to green policies.

This due to the revocation of support from The Five Star Movement (F5S) led by former PM Guiseppe Conte.
Later they were joined by Lega and Forzi Italia (FI).

The source of the split was the 23 billion Euro stimulus package to aid with the economic and energy crisis in Italy.
This package was deemed too little and didn't help the poorest is society.
Two votes of no-confidence and PM Draghi eventually resigned, though he is acting caretaker.
Added to this it looks likely that Fratelli d'Italia (FdI) are due to gain big.
They are being described by some as a far-right party. They are also described as anti-immigration, nationalist and socially conservative. They are led by Giorgia Meloni.

Ursula von der Leyen, somewhat ironically, had made veiled threats to any Italian government that doesn't adhere to what the EU calls democracy.
She has "tools" to deal with them apparently.

If I may add as a caveat - some of the news reports on this are ridiculous.
Every Italian cliche is present and it's a bit offensive.

Anyway, what do people think about this?
isha
Verified Username

Re: Italian Elections

Post by isha »

I honestly know nothing yet about Italian politics and their parties. Though I may learn more in the coming days. I'm just here to say how astonished I was when I heard the fragrant Ursula making threats against democratic suffrage. I do wish all these authoritarian upholders of democracy would suck it up when democracy happens and see if there are "learning experiences and teachable moments" regarding their own visions and policies, which in other times they seem to love having.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Also, I object to RTE and others labeling the probable election winners as extreme right wing. They are fed up with mass immigration amongst other things - something our own politicians should sit up and take notice of!
'no more blah blah blah'
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I don't an awful amount but I do know that there's a large divide between the rich industrial north and the poor south. There is a history of governments not running their term and Italy has problems with debts and an inability to make the tough decisions needed.

That been said, labelled them as far right may be a bit extreme as a lot have seen what's happening to Hungary with the EU taking no crap and cutting of the funding. They seem to be toning down the extreme views. It'll be interesting to see what happens (probably another election)
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

The identity politics brigade everywhere are upset with Italy getting their first female prime minister.

I don’t know much about their politics but all this talk of ‘history of fascism’ is akin to calling Biden a clan member because of the democrat party’s historical ties to the KKK. If they were fascist today then that would be the focus.

Does anyone know what exactly makes them far right as reported on all the media? My guess is the opposition to the levels of immigration we have been seeing. It’s funny that the left is always reported as ‘centre left’.
RandallWeems

Post by RandallWeems »

Ah but you love to see it. These boys wont mess around theyll send back all the boats no more landing there and heading straigt here. Theyve no time for the gender nonsense all about the traditional family. Will be a great day when the people of this country wake up to the crooks in government and the wokies pulling the strings.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I've been having a small think about Brothers of Italy and Giorgio Meloni's motto which seems to be "God, homeland and family".

Pundits are saying this echoes Mussolini.
Meloni herself says it echoes Giuseppe Mazzini, a 19th century journalist and nationalist who set in motion the unification of Italy.

To the modern ear it holds traces of blood and soil. Blut und boden. The Nazi motto.

So I was thinking what is offensive about it?

God - modern people don't like mention of God. But as far as I can make out it's one particular God they don't like to hear about, the God of Christianity. Put many moderns in front of Buddhist temples or Native American sacred places and they go weak at the knees with the quaintness of it. Many modern people will wear scarves to show respect to Muslims. Old cultures that worship various gods charm many who can't bear the mention of God in their own society.

Homeland - this seems to mean putting the interest of the country, the nation state, and the people who live there ahead of the interest of other countries, or global ambitions. The opposite of it nowadays is globalism. Now, I'm as much in favour of being a planeteer as the next person. I like to think all people on earth should be regarded as citizens of earth and should be able to move around visiting the planet. But I'm also a realist ( I think) and know that the people of a country have their own identity, pay taxes to keep things running well under a social contract made with their elected administration. And so on. Just as I can't rock up in Canada or Australia and expect social welfare or subsidised housing - because that would be very unfair to the people who have always lived there and effectively built up the local civilisation - I don't think being an economic migrant gives one any right to rock up in another country.

Family - it's become a bad word. The Uber progressive idea is that we don't need it. If you think I'm exaggerating read Sophie Lewis, the darling edge lady of progressives - https://www.newstatesman.com/internatio ... ish-family
The idea is that people make their own families and that the state provides the security net for family care. Ironically the paternalistic state, but now left wing.
I'm a big fan of the family as a powerful unit. I don't mind family being part of a political motto.

Yeah, so, I'm not really running headlong into walls terrified about Nazis taking over Italy, at the moment. I guess time will tell.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I would not like to be in her bad books👀

Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Quite a speech and while some of what she says maybe true it's a bit over the top to be attacking your neighbours like that.
'no more blah blah blah'