Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

IMMIGRATION OUT OF CONTROL

The burning issues of the day
isha
Verified Username

Re: IMMIGRATION OUT OF CONTROL

Post by isha »

Modular housing in safe parts of Ukraine or along the border might be a good idea.
I don't know about this payment to come here thing, the people don't look well off and several thousand euros would be a lot for Ukrainian people where the average wage is seemingly about 600 euros per month.

Edit... actually it's less it's about 400per month. The 600 is Kiev wages.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Bishop_Brennan

Post by Bishop_Brennan »

It is acceptable, it's not our fecking problem, let them go to Russia, they all can speak Russian too ..
Bishop_Brennan

Post by Bishop_Brennan »

isha wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:45 am Modular housing in safe parts of Ukraine or along the border might be a good idea.
I don't know about this payment to come here thing, the people don't look well off and several thousand euros would be a lot for Ukrainian people where the average wage is seemingly about 600 euros per month.

Edit... actually it's less it's about 400per month. The 600 is Kiev wages.
I've seen lots of luxury high end SUV's with UA plates swanning about ...

It's all a fecking con, and we are falling for it ...
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

There's always this kind of talk. I remember it from when I lived in the 1980s in Europe when people talked about the Roma and their mercedes etc.

I KNOW there are bad elements. It is likely we are importing and facilitating traffickers, con men and women, drug dealers, arms dealers, etc. I know this. But I also genuinely think there is a good portion of people fleeing war who are genuine.

One of the problems about taking everything Tom, Dick and Ali off boats that rock up on well-trafficked, well-organised, state-facilitated immigration routes, where there are dealers making lots of money to send the bored youth of Africa and areas of the Middle East and Eastern Europe to cushy numbers in bleeding heart Europe, is that we are absolutely screwing up any chance we have of properly responding to genuine refugees.

Muddying the distinction between economic migrants and refugees was something that happened as per EU policy several years ago. It suits money makers to have cheap labour and to fund pensions in an aging demographic. It also drives down wages and creates ghettoisation. It creates social problems that we are not permitted to speak about in polite company.

I'm tired of this debate being a wrestling match between virtue signalling SJWs and true xenophobes. There are good reasons to monitor and moderate migration and one of the first and most important of those reasons is to protect people in need of refuge. I think those people exist and it's disgraceful that because people spit the tag racism so freely that we cannot now help people with genuine needs.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

And I thought this was a forum for grown up discussion, seems I was mistaken.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I'm afraid I'm not very good at picking up the meaning in oblique or vague throwaway remarks. What does the above mean?
If you disagree with me, argue your point (in a grown up way). If you disagree with some other person, likewise. I don't understand what the above post means.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Of course we should help genuine refugees fleeing a war theater. But because we have no proper methods in place, we cant sort the wheat from the chaff. Thats my main gripe.
And it seems odd to me that all the pledges from well meaning folk for accommodation for refugees has not materialized.

And i cant for the life of me fathom why the government has gone over the top on help for the refugees, but totally ignored our own when they had no accommodation available. And if was unlucky enough to be thrust into a war zone arena, and was offered a safe country to flee to, I really wouldn't give a shit if it was a tented accommodation, or a hotel...once I was safe. Not to mention getting a welfare payment....gimme a break.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Yes, I agree, there seems to be a problem processing applications. I wonder is some of the issue fear of being seen to be politically incorrect, among the clerical, administrative, or security staff? Any of them could be shamed for decisions they make in the court of social media.

And just yesterday I said at home that it's a pity the premises that have been so quickly kitted out all over Ireland were not similarly kitted out so quickly for our own in need. This is true. But then there will also be people saying "dole scroungers or addicts or single mothers or so on" should not be getting nice places etc.

But also talking about how we have not helped our own - it's true, we have not! - is like saying we can't sort a pregnancy health care crisis because of our dental health care crisis. There are similarities but also significant distinctions between the two crises.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

isha wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:33 am I'm afraid I'm not very good at picking up the meaning in oblique or vague throwaway remarks. What does the above mean?
If you disagree with me, argue your point (in a grown up way). If you disagree with some other person, likewise. I don't understand what the above post means.
My apologies Isha, your post appeared as I was in the process of commenting on the one above it, I hadn't even read yours.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

marhay70 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:06 pm My apologies Isha, your post appeared as I was in the process of commenting on the one above it, I hadn't even read yours.
Hahaha 😅 just proves my point about my stunning inability to decipher things fairly regularly.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

And despite the crisis which has resulted in refugees returning to the airport to sleep the government refuse to put a cap on the number of refugees we take in. It's a recipe for a social disaster.
'no more blah blah blah'
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

They cant put a cap on numbers, due to Eu policy for numbers per head of population. But I am open top correction on that.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I am not sure about number limits permitted by EU but at 51000 we have taken in 1% of our population. In Germany and France the numbers are 0.01% of population. We need to concentrate on minding who we have here. It's not fair. My good friend is a teacher in a very very small school and they have 15 Ukrainian kids, which they are happy to teach. But many have almost no English and require significant learning support which is almost impossible to obtain as services are so stretched. Saying we have enough to cope with is not racist. It is pragmatic, and enables us to help who we have properly. Which we should do.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Just an aside, we may discover that leafy middle class areas harbour an awful lot of ''alt right'' types when their dinky little holiday homes come into the cross hairs.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Bishop_Brennan wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:58 am It is acceptable, it's not our fecking problem, let them go to Russia, they all can speak Russian too ..
From June but the BBC are saying the most amount of refugees went to Russia.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-60555472
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

isha wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:46 pm Just an aside, we may discover that leafy middle class areas harbour an awful lot of ''alt right'' types when their dinky little holiday homes come into the cross hairs.
I suspect your right

Their concern about Ukrainians only runs skin deep,they've spent the summer attacking and shouting down any Irish person,whom suggested peace talks (where this war will end eventually like all others),and de-escalation should be persued

They've egged on a war from sidelines and would if they could throw out neutrality to one side,easy to do it,when won't face material consequences,not such big fans,when their holiday homes come under scrutiny,

alot of so called liberial middle-class people,gonna be horrified to find what exact powers the state has,if it declares something an emergency/national interest
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
Solaris

Post by Solaris »

knownunknown wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:55 pm From June but the BBC are saying the most amount of refugees went to Russia.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-60555472
Just thinking, if this was the Russia threadbanned thread on boards you would have to add the wording "Possibly Kidnapped" to your post, so as to not upset the regular idiots that post in there. :)
Solaris

Post by Solaris »

I can't see anyway of resolving this until the war in Ukraine is resolved. Ukraine announced a new wave of mobilisation amongst its population this morning. With that and the continued Russian infrastructural strikes, fleeing the country is only going to increase.

The government is not going to step out of line with the rest of the EU on this.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Immigrants sleeping in sub-zero conditions in tents but the government says it is our legal duty to keep on taking in Ukrainians regardless of how many come. The people sleeping in tents apparently are not from the Ukraine but it stands to reason that if there were less Ukrainians coming in there would be more space for other refugees/asylum seekers. Ireland is like a lifeboat off the Titanic and it will sink in the same way if we don't limit the numbers coming in. I am not part of the far right - just a rational person concerned about the direction that the country is headed in.
'no more blah blah blah'
Jack The Stripper

Post by Jack The Stripper »

Massive profiteering from business people and property developers for this plantation of primarily fakeugess. That’s all it is at this stage, build or renovate any class of a shack and ram it full with uk fakeugees.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Listening to Saturday with Colm Ó Mongáin this lunchtime and the complete lack of understanding by those on the panel was earth shattering. The cry of modular homes at former army barracks is ridiculous - call me stupid, but my understanding of the various barracks around the country is that they had huge amounts of accommodation as part of the complexes? No need to build anything, just revamp some of the existing billets, rooms etc. it would have to be better than sleeping in a tent. Instead, we have "is there anything to be said for another mass" or a survey or two, followed by working party to include all the stakeholders.....
'no more blah blah blah'
Jack The Stripper

Del.Monte wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:12 pm Listening to Saturday with Colm Ó Mongáin this lunchtime and the complete lack of understanding by those on the panel was earth shattering. The cry of modular homes at former army barracks is ridiculous - call me stupid, but my understanding of the various barracks around the country is that they had huge amounts of accommodation as part of the complexes? No need to build anything, just revamp some of the existing billets, rooms etc. it would have to be better than sleeping in a tent. Instead, we have "is there anything to be said for another mass" or a survey or two, followed by working party to include all the stakeholders.....
You will never have any adult conversation on rte.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I’m sick to death of hearing about the 100 single men (who I would put money on have no reason or right to be here) freezing their bollocks off in tents.

In 2010 when we had a brutal winter I am certain there was at least 100 of our own sleeping rough - did it make the 6 One ? Did it feck.

We should look after our own first and call a spade a spade - these “economic migrants” (unvetted scroungers) should be fucked off back where they came from.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
Jack The Stripper

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:15 pm I’m sick to death of hearing about the 100 single men (who I would put money on have no reason or right to be here) freezing their bollocks off in tents.

In 2010 when we had a brutal winter I am certain there was at least 100 of our own sleeping rough - did it make the 6 One ? Did it feck.

We should look after our own first and call a spade a spade - these “economic migrants” (unvetted scroungers) should be fucked off back where they came from.
The Irish government are puppets to the eu. They won’t get any gold star for homing our own. It’s a sad outlook.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Jack The Stripper wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:08 pm The Irish government are puppets to the eu. They won’t get any gold star for homing our own. It’s a sad outlook.
Could not agree more.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane