Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Lithium In Ireland.

The burning issues of the day
kadman
Verified Username

Lithium In Ireland.

Post by kadman »

Now that we have discovered an important mineral asset in Ireland. Does this mean brown bags will be passed out in the dail in order to get control of an important asset, by some prospecting company. Or will we just give it away for some brown bags like happened to our oil assets.

And does it really matter to the government if its a dirty mineral to extract, and the legacy it might leave behind.
GSI has recompiled the historic lithium data and released it on its website here. Rock samples collected from the 1970s to the 1990s were also analysed for lithium and other elements – these data have also been released here and they complement the stream data, confirming that the Leinster Granite is a significant repository of lithium in Ireland.
kadman
Verified Username

Re: Lithium In Ireland.

Post by kadman »

Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Dunno if it's the same type lithium,

but gleann na gealt (translated as valley of the mad people) down in Kerry was found to have high levels of lithium in the water,type used on depression...it was known back in mythology times for curing some king of his maddness from drinking from streams there
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Setanta wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:21 pm Dunno if it's the same type lithium,

but gleann na gealt (translated as valley of the mad people) down in Kerry was found to have high levels of lithium in the water,type used on depression...it was known back in mythology times for curing some king of his maddness from drinking from streams there
It is the type of lithium used for batteries. I was listening to a professor on the radio talking about it, saying that although we knew about it years ago, modern technology now has better methods of extracting it. But admitted its a dirty process.
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

kadman wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:28 pm It is the type of lithium used for batteries. I was listening to a professor on the radio talking about it, saying that although we knew about it years ago, modern technology now has better methods of extracting it. But admitted its a dirty process.
I would expect in future,there would wars/coups over lithium for batteries.....famously trump tried to buy Greenland,one of northern hemispheres largest reserves of it

I hope,they don't ruin that beautiful country in name of economic progress....it's one of the few proper wilderness left,to throw that away to save automobile industry would be downright wrong, particularly given,the emission savings can be met via ad-blue already would be immoral
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Professor Simon Michaux produced a report for the Finnish government. He is an expert on mining. We don't have enough lithium reserves to replace EV batteries every 10 to 20 years.

https://insideinvestor.com.au/there-isn ... fuel-cars/
“To make just one battery for each vehicle in the global transport fleet (excluding Class 8 HCV trucks), it would require 48.2 per cent of 2018 global nickel reserves, and 43.8 per cent of global lithium reserves,” the report reveals.

Each of the 1.39 billion lithium-ion batteries has a shelf life of 8-10 years and will need to be replaced thereafter, rendering the EV battery solution impractical. This does not even consider the lithium-ion battery power banks required to store electrical power generated from solar and wind.

“If a power buffer was delivered with the use of lithium-ion battery banks, the mass of lithium-ion batteries would be 2.5 billion tonnes,” the report states. “This far exceeds global reserves and is not practical.”

To phase out fossil-fuel based internal combustion engine vehicles to be replaced with EVs, the GTK research shows that the current global reserves of raw materials needed to manufacture the renewable energy technologies are not sufficient in quantity to meet the needed supply requirements.
That's without even looking at the water reserves needed to process it, which are limited in lithium richest areas.

I see France are going all out in the Massif Central.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Setanta wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:21 pm Dunno if it's the same type lithium,

Thanks. I couldn't think of the name of place but I knew that valley was there. I could point you as to where it is (Dingle peninsula, west of Camp) but drew a blank at the name.

I'm now thinking of Nirvana's "Lithium" track......
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

It seems to be a toxic mineral, that has regulation on its collection , and disposal. But we chose to bury some in landfills.
Lithium | 3
eu lithium ColleCtion rates are low, poliCies foCus on
olDer battery teChnologies
Overall, the Eu produces around 24 kg of electrical and electronic waste per citizen per year, which includes lithium used in
high-tech industries.21 With respect to batteries, the Eu has regulations concerning their collection, recycling, treatment, and
disposal,22 which required battery collection rates of at least 25 % by the end of September 2012 and will require 45 % by the
end of September 2016. this legislation does not specifically address lithium battery collection.
the amount of Li-ion batteries collected in the Eu in 2010 was estimated at 1,289 tonnes along with 297 tons of lithium
primary batteries.23 this is only about 5 % of the Li-ion batteries put on the market, according to the Belgian recyclers,
umicore.24 Germany, France, Belgium and the Netherlands have the best track records for battery collection, including
primary and secondary lithium-ion batteries.25 Yet even these countries have very low collection rates, as shown in Figure 2.
the Eu’s existing legislation aims to reduce mercury, cadmium, lead and other metals in the environment by minimising
the use of these substances in batteries in the first place, and by treating and re-using old batteries.26 however, it currently
focuses on the relatively simple recycling of, for instance, alkaline and lead acid batteries.27 it does not address the complex
chemistries of newer battery technologies, including lithium batteries, which contain compounds of various metals.28
the potential scope for the recycling of lithium can be complicated since the material is toxic,29 highly reactive30 and flammable.
it tends to be incinerated or ends up in landfill due to very low collection rates and flawed waste legislation
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

As a complete aside, Gleann-na-nGealt is famous spot for anyone interested in Irish railways as there was a station/halt there until 1939. It was on the notorious switchback section of the infamously badly engineered Tralee & Dingle Light Railway. The platform remains under the grass to the right in this photograph. A bleak spot and apart from sheep there's little sign of human existence in the area today. Apart from Lithium in the water Gleann-na-nGealt is supposed to be where all the mad people in the World will gather at the end of days......

'no more blah blah blah'
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Del.Monte wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:30 am As a complete aside, Gleann-na-nGealt is famous spot for anyone interested in Irish railways as there was a station/halt there until 1939. It was on the notorious switchback section of the infamously badly engineered Tralee & Dingle Light Railway. The platform remains under the grass to the right in this photograph. A bleak spot and apart from sheep there's little sign of human existence in the area today. Apart from Lithium in the water Gleann-na-nGealt is supposed to be where all the mad people in the World will gather at the end of days......

Wasn't there a derailment there?

I've something vague about a train loosing brakes due to the descent and the poor maintenance.........
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

There were a number of serious accidents in the vicinity of Glengalt Bridge but not specifically at the station site. The accompanying gradient profile shows the scary nature of the line in that area. At the opening of the line in 1891 the Chairman of the Tralee & Dingle Light Railway company boasted about how their construction costs were a lot less per mile than similar concerns. :mrgreen:

More about my T&D obsession here: https://irishartindex.wordpress.com/201 ... to-myself/
'no more blah blah blah'
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I had to look it up. A train ran away into Camp station, hitting a parked wagon and killing a load of pigs.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:36 pm I had to look it up. A train ran away into Camp station, hitting a parked wagon and killing a load of pigs.
It was a bit more serious than that with three engine crew killed: https://www.narrowgauge.nl/site/english/tdsurvey.htm and was in part due to the skimping on the construction of the line. Even the new improved route constructed some years after the accident was still dangerous but less so.
'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

isha wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:10 am Professor Simon Michaux produced a report for the Finnish government. He is an expert on mining. We don't have enough lithium reserves to replace EV batteries every 10 to 20 years.
I remain convinced that this is the weakest link in the whole EV chain: there's just no sensible, "clean" way to store the E, and seemingly nothing on the horizon. On the contrary, with the encouragement of governments around the world, there are billions of euros and dollars being buried in the metaphorical landfill that is EV research and component production, especially batteries and superconductors.

At a time when some countries are still under threat of rolling blackouts because we/they are forecast to not have enough electricity available to power our gluttonous consumption of online everything, not to mention cooling dwellings built in too-hot areas, and heating dwellings built in too-cold areas, why are we adding yet another layer of consumption, drawing on an unstorable energy source?

I read yesterday about the fanfare surrounding the "discovery" of a great load of lithium in France and all the jobs it'll create. I couldn't help see the futility of the whole venture as I topped up the mower with another few litres of petrol that had survived a month of refinery strikes and general shortages. You can't beat storing your locomotive power in any bog standard container.
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

CelticRambler wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:49 pm I remain convinced that this is the weakest link in the whole EV chain: there's just no sensible, "clean" way to store the E, and seemingly nothing on the horizon. On the contrary, with the encouragement of governments around the world, there are billions of euros and dollars being buried in the metaphorical landfill that is EV research and component production, especially batteries and superconductors.

At a time when some countries are still under threat of rolling blackouts because we/they are forecast to not have enough electricity available to power our gluttonous consumption of online everything, not to mention cooling dwellings built in too-hot areas, and heating dwellings built in too-cold areas, why are we adding yet another layer of consumption, drawing on an unstorable energy source?

I read yesterday about the fanfare surrounding the "discovery" of a great load of lithium in France and all the jobs it'll create. I couldn't help see the futility of the whole venture as I topped up the mower with another few litres of petrol that had survived a month of refinery strikes and general shortages. You can't beat storing your locomotive power in any bog standard container.
Was always Suprised,there was never a drive to retro-fit ad-blue to older vehicles ,if the concern was emissions,as this is most effective way to reduce the harmful emissions

The failure to attempt this,should have lead to questions as regards,whether it was a environmental issue,or simply another bailout for a faultering automotive industry which was grinding to a halt,and running out of money to finance further PCP type scams, (was 2 billion out in Ireland under PCP at one stage)
KHD

Post by KHD »

Del.Monte wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:30 am Apart from Lithium in the water Gleann-na-nGealt is supposed to be where all the mad people in the World will gather at the end of days......
I was going to head off to hell after I kick the bucket but now Gubu is after giving me another fun destination to consider. :mrgreen: