Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Hate Speech Law

The burning issues of the day
KHD

Re: Hate Speech Law

Post by KHD »

knownunknown wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:33 pm They will act when enough people complain about something you say or do, saying it’s grossly offensive demanding you either withdraw or remove it under penalty of imprisonment.
Mob rule. They'll be burning the poor witches again soon they way things are going!
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

KHD wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:54 pm Mob rule. They'll be burning the poor witches again soon they way things are going!
Hang on until I grab the ol' pitchfork.....
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

All I'm saying is that I'm glad not have BookFace, Twatter or Instasnap.......
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Post by Diamonds of Frost »

I wonder will the words spoken by that priest in Kerry (I think) be considered hate speech?

In my view his opinions are dreadful but they are his and he is a Catholic priest. It's an example of the kind of beliefs that I abhor but does that mean others can't express them? And if I feel they can, then surely that means I'm ok with the likes of white supremacists shouting their hatred?

Except I'm not. I can accept a person saying they don't agree with same sex relationships but not that they believe people who aren't white have no place in society.

I'm trying to figure out the reason for that when both stances are a million miles from my world view.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Diamonds of Frost wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:41 pm I wonder will the words spoken by that priest in Kerry (I think) be considered hate speech?

In my view his opinions are dreadful but they are his and he is a Catholic priest. It's an example of the kind of beliefs that I abhor but does that mean others can't express them? And if I feel they can, then surely that means I'm ok with the likes of white supremacists shouting their hatred?

Except I'm not. I can accept a person saying they don't agree with same sex relationships but not that they believe people who aren't white have no place in society.

I'm trying to figure out the reason for that when both stances are a million miles from my world view.
Someone who doesn’t agree with same sex relationships is a world away from saying people have no place in society, I would say this is bordering on incitement to violence. If they have no place in society then the next logical step is for their removal.

Someone who says ‘homosexuals are going to hell’ is stating their moral belief. He’s saying god will judge them as doing wrong, something he clearly believes in. I hear this and laugh and how ridiculous I believe it to be, but I guess others are offended and upset by it, not surprising given the ad campaign I saw the other day ‘hate speech leaves scars’ was the message. (https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/news/02 ... ine-abuse/ )I grew up with the adage of ‘sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me’.

Nearly every religion believes homosexuals go to hell he’s just more honest about it. If you thought people were going to spend an eternity in hell, I mean really believed that with all your heart and soul wouldn’t you make it your business to warn others about the activities they were engaging in?

Why are all the other priests silent if they really believe the heretics will spend an eternity in hell? Either they don’t believe it themselves or they don’t care about others, the only two conclusions to draw. Now a third reason might be that they are scared of being imprisoned for hate speech.
KHD

Post by KHD »

He was on Joe Duffy yesterday. Ended up calling Joe pathetic and a failed journalist. Well worth a listen back just to hear Joe under pressure.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

KHD wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:24 am He was on Joe Duffy yesterday. Ended up calling Joe pathetic and a failed journalist. Well worth a listen back just to hear Joe under pressure.
Where can you listen to repeats?
KHD

Post by KHD »

knownunknown wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:31 am Where can you listen to repeats?
Here ya go unknown.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radio1/livelin ... mber-2022/
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Post by Diamonds of Frost »

knownunknown wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:35 am Someone who doesn’t agree with same sex relationships is a world away from saying people have no place in society, I would say this is bordering on incitement to violence. If they have no place in society then the next logical step is for their removal.

Someone who says ‘homosexuals are going to hell’ is stating their moral belief. He’s saying god will judge them as doing wrong, something he clearly believes in. I hear this and laugh and how ridiculous I believe it to be, but I guess others are offended and upset by it, not surprising given the ad campaign I saw the other day ‘hate speech leaves scars’ was the message. (https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/news/02 ... ine-abuse/ )I grew up with the adage of ‘sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me’.

Nearly every religion believes homosexuals go to hell he’s just more honest about it. If you thought people were going to spend an eternity in hell, I mean really believed that with all your heart and soul wouldn’t you make it your business to warn others about the activities they were engaging in?

Why are all the other priests silent if they really believe the heretics will spend an eternity in hell? Either they don’t believe it themselves or they don’t care about others, the only two conclusions to draw. Now a third reason might be that they are scared of being imprisoned for hate speech.
I sort of agree with you but wonder is the only difference between the two beliefs how they are expressed.
For example a person could say "gay people are an abomination and need conversion therapy" or they could say "I don't agree with same sex relationships but that's my personal view".

I imagine a lot of priests don't hold the same views are Fr Sheehy and I also imagine many of them do but like you say they are fearful of reprisal.

More thinking needed from me.

The 'sticks and stones' rhyme I remember well from childhood and even back then it didn't sit right with me. I'm firmly in the camp of words being a powerful weapon. Being assaulted, beaten, abused, all of those terrible things can break a person so I don't mean that one form trump's the other just that words too can equally wound.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

This Hate Speech law nears enactment. Varadkar today responded to negative public feedback during the consultation process as being from "campaigning groups" and that he is wise to them. (Him and Michael being hip to the dark arts of the internet has to be some of the most cringey stuff I've seen in a while). Consultation with the public is seemingly very important because we are a democracy, but the wrong people usually engage so the consultation should be ignored.
🤔

Anyway, I am looking forward to the first legal challenges. And if I'm to be prosecuted for having a picture on my phone of the fragrant but manly Giulia on the ladies football team because that might be used to incite hatred, then bring it on. It'll be cheaper to stay warm in prison in winter than it was this past season with the price of everything.

Sorry now if yiz don't like Gript but almost every other channel ignores this kind of stuff.

Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

He is oblivious to whats public opinion to be fair. he exists in a different reality to 99% of us.
So clearly the public dont matter.
Democracy me arse.
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

Now that GUBU has picked up a reputation (according to some posts on boards) as a "hate site", I suspect we'll attract further attention if/when this law is enacted.

Interesting times ahead no doubt.
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Difficult to know,

But it will run into problems with genocide denial laws,when some people in government here still,are aghast at the notion the famine here was a holocaust/genocide by hunger

Id like to read more on the implementation/practicalities of this law,because there's a cohort online who simply exist to seek out and abuse various minorities,there's plenty groups I dislike,but I don't seek em out to abuse em either,or base any substance of my life on em
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

Setanta wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:31 pm Difficult to know,

But it will run into problems with genocide denial laws,when some people in government here still,are aghast at the notion the famine here was a holocaust/genocide by hunger

Id like to read more on the implementation/practicalities of this law,because there's a cohort online who simply exist to seek out and abuse various minorities,there's plenty groups I dislike,but I don't seek em out to abuse em either,or base any substance of my life on em
I suspect it will run into problems everywhere it looks. Probably somebody more rational and better funded than a Burke sibling will look to make an example out of it.

Whether that is proactive or reactive will be just one of the many interesting things to watch unfold.
Bishop_Brennan

Post by Bishop_Brennan »

So WHO gets to define the hate ??

Hate is very subjective, this is a very very dangerous slippery slope, it's kind of like blasphemy laws being reintroduced, it's mad, the same people that were dancing when blasphemy laws were repealed are creaming themselves over this !!!
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Spiked have an article about it. I don't do hate speech or hate thought. I don't hate people, I even dislike the word scum. I don't hate or fear anyone for their race, religious beliefs, gender identity, etc. I live all the time with people who have very different opinions to me.

But I will literally never agree that sex can be changed. Nor will I ever deny that single sex spaces are needed in certain cases based on actual biological reality. I can't tell lies about it. And I will save material relevant to the gender theory critical position to my phone and computer. They can come and get me. No worries.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2023/05/0 ... draconian/
After all, how can the private ‘possession’ of offensive material cause any real harm to others? If something ‘hateful’ is saved on your phone, but no one else gets to see it, how can this incite hatred? Who else could even be upset or offended? The bill gets around this by presuming ‘that the material [is] not intended for personal use’, and that you must be planning to disseminate it, unless you can prove otherwise – a reversal of the usual burden of proof. Plus, if you refuse to hand over your phone or computer passwords to the authorities, when they go searching for this hate speech, you could be fined €5,000 or face up to a year in jail.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I best pack a " go bag" so, if they can arrest me for having something on my pc or phone that someone might take offense too. It wont be too long before they arrest me for what I am thinking.Jaysus.........oops, there i go again, probably get another year banged on for that.If we as a society lay down for this, we will take anything. Oops, another year for me again
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Just been thinking, its fair to say that in the scheme of things everyone has something on their phone that could conceivably cause offense to someone else. Sure i have pictures of classic vw's that would cause offense to a ford car collector :lol:

So is this why they are increasing the prison building programme, to house the real criminals with material on their phones sent eons ago, that they dont even know they have.

They cant even put the real criminals in prison, the monk trial told us that.
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Tackling hate speech and bigotry is not without merit,some over egged sense of self importance of what constitutes hate material,so I think it's best to wait and see this law in practice and practicalities involved

I remember growing up,some cousins getting spat on for wearing a GAA top,they were about 8 at the time....they were kids playing hurling on a pitch and didn't stop while a parade was passing,come out the following morning to find dug-outs destroyed and a land-mine left in the goalmouth....one neighbour of theirs who lost a family member in a fire,used get police officers dropping off BBQ sauce to them on the anniversary

But imo resources are better spent on education/intervention in schools,and overwhelming youth exposed to different groups etc is the way to stop it....you'll struggle to find someone who shares a classroom with a minority hold hateful views on em.
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

I think I have the video of the Christchurch Mosque shooting on my PC. Whatever anyone's opinion on me having that, it is not illegal - but in a recent case where a right wing extremist was sentenced to 10 years for importing gun parts, posession of that video was used as "padding" in the reporting.

For balance, I think I also have a few beheading videos (of Ken Bigley and others) by Islamic extremists so hopefully one thought crime balances out the other thought crime.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Come to think of it a lot of what Celticrambler posts here I find very offensive, especially his attempts at building construction.

MMMmmm.......can i get him arrested for offending me and maybe banished off to Guianna where they sent papillon
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Come to think of it, what I have just posted probably offends him, does that mean he can get me banished to spike island army prison resort. :D
Bishop_Brennan

Post by Bishop_Brennan »

BrianD3 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:41 am I think I have the video of the Christchurch Mosque shooting on my PC. Whatever anyone's opinion on me having that, it is not illegal - but in a recent case where a right wing extremist was sentenced to 10 years for importing gun parts, posession of that video was used as "padding" in the reporting.

For balance, I think I also have a few beheading videos (of Ken Bigley and others) by Islamic extremists so hopefully one thought crime balances out the other thought crime.
I have that video too, but I wanted to find it recently and can't, so it's somewhere there ... but zipped and encrypted .. don't want others stumbling across it.
Johnny Von Pintland

Post by Johnny Von Pintland »

Why in the name of Jaysus would you download, watch and store a video of a mass shooting and a beheading?

Weird tbh and not sure what it has to do with hate speech laws. Just comes across as incredibly antisocial behaviour.
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

What I have on my PC and the reason I have it is my own business as long as I'm not harming anyone else or breaking any current laws. But with this new hate speech law, as per the spiked-online link above and RTE, I could be prosecuted for POSSESSING "hateful material". Would the Christchurch shooting live stream that millions of people around the world have downloaded be deemed to be hateful material? It probably would be. And as I said, this video was already referenced in a case where an individual imported parts of firearms and that's before this new hate speech bill has become law.