Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Hate Speech Law

The burning issues of the day
isha
Verified Username

Re: Hate Speech Law

Post by isha »

The Bill has been passed by the Seanad and will presumably now be enacted into law unless the President refers to the court.

Comment edited- it has a committee stage and a report stage to go through to consider any amendments.

Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

This memo explains the content of the Bill but omits some very important information, i.e. the definitions of the terms 'hatred' and the 'behaviours' and 'materials' that can be deployed in the inciting of that 'hatred'.

One or two other interesting point included are the right to be able to freely discuss issues so long as they are deemed 'hatred'. Again, a putative legal case would completely hinge on how you determine the motivation of the accused and whether it could be defined as hatred.
Beatty

Post by Beatty »

Ireland was always a place known for good comedy and for joking around. Unless this act is overturned in the future an unintended consequence will be a change in society for the worst. Literally make things more grim than they need to be.

Seriously though, what is wrong with telling people to say to themselves 'words will never hurt me'. Its kindergarden stuff. I suspect there has been personality types and ideological types who want hated that the internet was a free for all with anonymity.

Beatty

Post by Beatty »

JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

Note: This is a profanity filled post. Skip it if it offends you. Because I won't care. :D

I had time today to read the proposed legislation and really digest the numerous implications it will have for my day to day, week to week interactions with people and how I will be expected to adjust my language to suit a bunch of fecking nitwits.

Without any doubt I'll be falling foul of it several times a month without any effort at all. Many more times given how inclined I am to tell people to feck off when they try to force my compliance.

And do you know what? feck them and feck all this nonsense.

If we leave this to politicians, interest groups and the rest of the narcissistic little streaks who have been steering the boat for the past decade, it's going to end up on the rocks.

The earth's not flat. You're a man or a woman, and to be really fecking direct about this, people still know the fecking difference. If they don't, their teachers need to be sacked, their parents need to be cautioned, and their children need to be banned from using social media and sent to mandatory reeducation.

Why the hell are we even entertaining this same level of absolute horseshit in our lives?

Start speaking the truth, all of us, at any opportunity. And honestly, feck the fall-out.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

The part where you (JayZeus) say speak the truth and keep speaking it is important. I learned why that is so during the Covid "whatever that was".

I had a different opinion than the majority, including a different opinion than family and close friends. My adult children for example was very upset and even angry about me not taking the vaccines and they were fairly regularly staging interventions where they would try to talk me round. (Like that's gonna work with the most stubborn woman on earth 😏)

My point about using the vaccines example re hate speech is to see if the majority can remember their position at the time, in the heat of the thing. I genuinely think the majority didn't give a feck about what was happening to us who didn't want one, that we were banned from places, that jobs were mandating injections, that in other countries people were not allowed in shops, on buses, trains, fired from work and even Austria was going to fine people one thousand euros a month.

And almost nobody came out to speak publicly against it or the treatment of their fellow citizens. Except us, the refuseniks, who were dismissed as mad, bad, antivaxxers, racists, far right, monsters, even literal (granny) killers.

What speaking out constantly as a minority did was disrupt the mass formation in the minds of the majority. By mass formation I mean the conviction of being right that was conditioned into the majority by a military style operation of propaganda. Even while being abused, to speak out meant the possibility that doubt could be put there in some parts of the monolithic mindset of the majority.

And that's why in the end the abuse and vilification of "the unvaccinated" had to be tapered off. Because we would not be quiet. It disrupted things.

I'm always going to say the truth about sex. I have literally zero problems with people dressing and expressing how they want. But against the phalanx of propaganda being constantly thrown at society on the issue of gender identity as many of us as possible have to hold the line for truth. No matter what names we are called. No matter how many famous celebrities and big media stars are aghast at how dreadful and hateful we are said to be all the time. It is absolutely horrible to be considered a monster by society but we have to keep saying what is real. Because otherwise the incoherencies of the gender theory will lead to terrible unintended cruelties.
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailym ... urces.html

An interesting tidbit to add onto a hate speech law,the government can now use your money to tap phones of journalists in interest of the state......which would explain the subtle move in recent months by government ministers to present themselves as being the 'state' and not the government
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Setanta wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:30 pm https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailym ... urces.html

An interesting tidbit to add onto a hate speech law,the government can now use your money to tap phones of journalists in interest of the state......which would explain the subtle move in recent months by government ministers to present themselves as being the 'state' and not the government
NOT YOU SETANTA BTW!!!!!

Before the law is passed:

There is no such thing as being non binary. You are perpetuating outdated stereotypes that my generation tried to get shot of 50 years ago.

You attention seeking sad fcking halfwits!!!!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
Bishop_Brennan

Post by Bishop_Brennan »

isha wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:55 am The part where you (JayZeus) say speak the truth and keep speaking it is important. I learned why that is so during the Covid "whatever that was".

I had a different opinion than the majority, including a different opinion than family and close friends. My adult children for example was very upset and even angry about me not taking the vaccines and they were fairly regularly staging interventions where they would try to talk me round. (Like that's gonna work with the most stubborn woman on earth 😏)

My point about using the vaccines example re hate speech is to see if the majority can remember their position at the time, in the heat of the thing. I genuinely think the majority didn't give a feck about what was happening to us who didn't want one, that we were banned from places, that jobs were mandating injections, that in other countries people were not allowed in shops, on buses, trains, fired from work and even Austria was going to fine people one thousand euros a month.

And almost nobody came out to speak publicly against it or the treatment of their fellow citizens. Except us, the refuseniks, who were dismissed as mad, bad, antivaxxers, racists, far right, monsters, even literal (granny) killers.

What speaking out constantly as a minority did was disrupt the mass formation in the minds of the majority. By mass formation I mean the conviction of being right that was conditioned into the majority by a military style operation of propaganda. Even while being abused, to speak out meant the possibility that doubt could be put there in some parts of the monolithic mindset of the majority.

And that's why in the end the abuse and vilification of "the unvaccinated" had to be tapered off. Because we would not be quiet. It disrupted things.

I'm always going to say the truth about sex. I have literally zero problems with people dressing and expressing how they want. But against the phalanx of propaganda being constantly thrown at society on the issue of gender identity as many of us as possible have to hold the line for truth. No matter what names we are called. No matter how many famous celebrities and big media stars are aghast at how dreadful and hateful we are said to be all the time. It is absolutely horrible to be considered a monster by society but we have to keep saying what is real. Because otherwise the incoherencies of the gender theory will lead to terrible unintended cruelties.
So much respect for you.

I am in a similar position only it's my Dad that's the covidian .. , my kids are still kids (11,7) and I never got them vaccinated - purely because they didn't need it - same reason I don't give them the flu vaccine.

But the amount of crap I got from colleagues/"friends" and some relatives over this ...

My Dad is lost, he STILL thinks covid vaccines should be mandated for everyone.

Also "Free speech is a dangerous thing" - he actually said that to me ....

Holy Christ what has happened to some people - we would have agreed on 95% of things 7 years ago... but 2016 - Trump, Brexit .... this broke so many people, and then Covid just re-enforced that.

So yeah, posts like yours here keep me sane.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Awww thanks Bishop, but keep in mind I might be insane 😉
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

This news might as well go under here. Helen McEntee, Minister for Justice, applied to the High Court today and was granted a High Court order for telecommunications service providers to retain user, traffic and location data for a year.

isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Who the user is, what sites they visit and where they live - that's my interpretation of what she got, am I wrong?
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

They have all the details , and keep it anyway. You live in a surveillance society, and have done for decades. If you got a phone, tablet, pc, wifi hot spot anywhere near you, its game over on your privacy.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Now it's legally a surveillance society.
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

isha wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:09 pm
That an establishment that will shout down any critism and proposed reform of the special criminal court,would eventually expand its aims to silencing and surveillance of everyone including its own friends and family.

should come as a suprise to noone....an Irish version of the stasi,if you will..... henceforth why they bend over backwards to have so many "essential" data centres here.......this is hardly earth shattering stuff,it's been going on with decades here

Dress up curtailing of civil liberties as 'national security' and you'll have entire Irish establishment and fair percentage of its populace jump straight into agreeing with it... Imply this is to monitor phones of immigrants to help target "illegal" immigration and watch another sector of Irish society handwave away any/all concerns on it (or imply its to target far right,watch left reactionarys jump onboard with it too)
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

isha wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:15 pm Now it's legally a surveillance society.
It was always legal, you just never questioned its legality from anyone that could tell you so.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

kadman wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:29 pm It was always legal, you just never questioned its legality from anyone that could tell you so.
Technically it was struck down in Graham Dwyer legal challenge.
https://www.thejournal.ie/new-data-rete ... 9-Jun2023/

The new Data Retention Law came into force yesterday and McEntee went to court today.

But I wonder what is effect of the GDPR stuff that has saturated the world of work all about compared to this?
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

isha wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:38 pm Technically it was struck down in Graham Dwyer legal challenge.
https://www.thejournal.ie/new-data-rete ... 9-Jun2023/

The new Data Retention Law came into force yesterday and McEntee went to court today.

But I wonder what is effect of the GDPR stuff that has saturated the world of work all about compared to this?
Lots of things prefixed with technically, try to assure us that in theory its ok and true.
In reality, something else may be the case. Like the governments bank guarantee up to 100K. Technically that sounds great. In reality its not.
If you have the time, read it........its an interesting piece of fiction.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

It was always legal to keep all personal data by any corporation or business entity, just as long as those found flouting the law, as in the recent cases of Facebook, google ect,ect just paid their fine ( FEE) they could carry on as normal and no accountability ;)
Bishop_Brennan

Post by Bishop_Brennan »

Time to subscribe to a good VPN.

I recommend Nord VPN..
Bishop_Brennan

Post by Bishop_Brennan »

No doubt Waterford Whispers will have some headline soon along the lines of "Local man angry that he can no longer spout hate against immigrants and the gays...."

How edgy!!!

Gaslighting crap in reality, demonizing anyone who has genuine concerns about this thin end of the wedge crazy law as a loony bigot.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I heard on the radio this morning that McDowell believes the new laws regarding hate speech have not taken into account of the possible ramifications of citizens arrests occurring, he has some reservations about the work ability of this. And he would know.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I saw a story from Denmark...if I can find it....

Dum ti dum....nope Sweden...

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2023/0628 ... g-protest/

This chap, Swedish, originally from Iraq, has been given permission by the Swedish police for a protest where the organiser plans to burn a Koran outside Stockholm's main mosque, as the Eid al-Adha holiday begins.

Salwan Monika has apparently completed his tearing up and burning. Some weirdos have claimed other desecrations but that seems untrue.

It made me think about the coming Irish law where this would be illegal I imagine.

Maybe? Surely???

Now personally I think it is a ROTTEN thing to do, and I would feel the same if it was the Bible or the Bhagavad Gita, or Buddhist Sutras, or anyone's holy book.

But I suppose if you think about it say someone burned a book about Confucianism or burned Lao Tzu's text or the I Ching or something, people probably would not feel too bothered beyond thinking it was silly and nasty. But they are people's religious books.

I think books should be allowed to be burned. Even my favourite books. For some people they represent wounding and it may be an exorcism for them.

Desecration of holy sites etc is not permissable however. That's unacceptable.

I dunno. It's complicated isn't it.
jmayo

Post by jmayo »

Does he need any petrol ?

I just look at it this way, I would rather someone that burned books to make a point than someone who has no problems with burning people or hacking their heads off.

For too long adherents of a particular religious ideology have enjoyed fact they can do what the fook they want to others that don't subscribe to their ideology in their native lands.
Well folks you want to live in the West, you damn well can put up with people not putting up with your backwards fooking beliefs.

You know where the airport is if you don't like it, so fook right off back to where you and or your ancestors came from.