Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

The end of Iranian theocracy?

The burning issues of the day
knownunknown

The end of Iranian theocracy?

Post by knownunknown »

It has been this way since the Islamic revolution of 1979 and about a decade ago there were big fears that it was spreading, perhaps even to western nations.

Despite the ruthless and bloody crackdown they can’t get a handle on the protests we’re seeing recently which are growing and growing. They find the hijab oppressive and the protests were sparked by the death of a young woman while in the custody of the morality police(don’t laugh we’re instituting our own under a different name). I was never in favour of France’s ban on the hijab but if it’s being used as a tool for oppression then maybe it can be justified. Like other offensive things like the confederate flag or the swastika you should be free to use them but no right minded person ever would because of the history attached to them. Anyone seen to be using it is marking themselves out as an idiot. The problem is the hijab is often forced onto women, it’s not just their choice.

The following was part of a campaign by the ‘council of Europe’(human right’s group- lol)that were promoting the hijab just last year.

They then have the temerity to take this stance with the protestors, at least they’ve finally landed on the right side. I fear they’ve lost all credibility though. https://www.eeas.europa.eu/eeas/iran-re ... ini-and_en
knownunknown

Re: The end of Iranian theocracy?

Post by knownunknown »

One more point the “wecan4hrs” at the bottom of those posters were part of a hate speech campaign where they were trying to get criticism of the hijab included as hate speech. The exact same thing the Iranians detained the woman over.

https://www.coe.int/en/web/inclusion-an ... /wecan4hrs
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I have been following the work of Masih Alinejad for ages. She lives under protection in New York because fundamentalists keep trying to assassinate her
One of the things that made me despair this week about the intellectual capacity of celebrities I have seen emoting on Instagram is them posting videos of themselves cutting their hair "" For Freedom!" They weren't even cutting that much off it, for God's sake. It's all so performative and asinine. I'd cut more off my hair on a random Saturday afternoon passing the bathroom mirror! Ffs. (I'm a bit cranky today and I just have no patience with this stuff). Western female politicians have simpered as religious submissives for far too long in places like Iran. I am in awe of and terrified for the women there who are taking their lives into their hands to protest against the Mullahs.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Iran's problem is the high population of young people. These can see the issues the sanctions are having on Iran. They all use VPN to get around the internet filters and they can see the oppression (gender discrimination, no free speech, no free press, no LBGT rights, etc) the morality police enforce.

The discontent has been building and as there's no jobs for the young people, they have nothing to really loose by protesting and continuing the protest.

Personally, I hope they succeed, for the world's sake.....
Mirabeau

Post by Mirabeau »

FYI cutting a bit of one's hair won't stop oppression, surprisingly enough.
You need guns, lots of big sexy liberty-spreading guns.