Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Toll prices rising

The burning issues of the day
Hairy-Joe

Toll prices rising

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I've seen it on the news and toll prices are rising. What the feck are they playing at, given how tight things are for people?

While I don't have any toll roads on my commute (when I don't work from home), it makes very little direct impact to me. It will have an indirect impact due to increased transport costs. Truckers are operating on very thin margins and this will be passed along to us.

What I cant see is why they didn't spin it for green benefits and discouraging car journeys? Personally, I'd have left it as it was for Trucks and made it zero for buses.

Also, thinking about it, this is the first counter I've encountered where the roads around the towns are rolled, thus encouraging drivers INTO to the towns (Waterford, Limerick, M50). France, Spain, Italy has the ringroads around main cities free to get the cars out of the town centre. Typically Irish, doing it arseways....
KHD

Re: Toll prices rising

Post by KHD »

I know a few lads that have warehouse jobs over in the south side and use the m50 most days. The wages they are on is not great so this not going to be taken well by them.

Still plenty of money in the country as you alluded to in another post when you were out doing the shopping but the likes of people on low wages are the ones getting hammered by all these price rises.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I know people that are struggling and it's these sort of measures that impact the low paid more. It won't discourage any car journeys.

I'm still struggling to see the justification when the M50 is paid for.
Mirabeau

Post by Mirabeau »

Well I for one will do nothing about this.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Mirabeau wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:14 pm Well I for one will do nothing about this.
Who does anything about anything anymore? :lol: