Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Re: WTF moment of the day

The burning issues of the day
knownunknown

Re: Re: WTF moment of the day

Post by knownunknown »

kadman wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:28 am Thankfully I know absolutely nothing about instagram, twitter,trending, metaverse, tik tok ect,ect.

Thank you god
Instagram is more likely to cause depression then the others although the risk increases for all of them.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/19/instagr ... -says.html
quodec

Post by quodec »

Second world war era B17 and P63 King Cobra crash at Dallas air show. Fatalities.

Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I imagine that theres not a whole lot of both types airworthy. From looking at it, to me the King Cobra misjudged the Flying Fortress path.

Sad for all involved.
KHD

Post by KHD »

Trudeau and Xi having a bit of a lover's tiff at the G20 earlier. It looks like an awkward moment for Trudeau. He reminds me a bit of Eamon Ryan sometimes.

KHD

Post by KHD »

Meloni going nuts at the French. Don't know what to make of her, but she's bang on about that. She's harsh on my ears when she gets going. God help poor Macron if he ever sits beside her at a table.

isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

It was yesterday's wtf. It's still there.

Screenshot for when they take their social media admin role away from the completely crazy weird rapey person.
20221122_095042.jpg
20221122_095042.jpg (50.3 KiB) Viewed 2501 times
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
KHD

Post by KHD »

I've no idea what they are trying to say in that tweet Isha, can you please explain for the thicko here.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

KHD wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:01 pm I've no idea what they are trying to say in that tweet Isha, can you please explain for the thicko here.
Maybe if you pronounce ‘dm’ as ‘them’.

You’re in them, we’re in them. I still don’t get it.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

KHD wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:01 pm I've no idea what they are trying to say in that tweet Isha, can you please explain for the thicko here.
It is an extraordinary tweet. Tampax, a huge company supplying female sanitary products, tampons, to females from girlhood to middle age, has basically sexualised the wearing of tampons. As far as I and many others responding are concerned, it is a rapey vibe. They are anthropomorphising their tampons as the good guys inside girls and women's vaginas, as opposed to the loser incels who only get as far as the ladies DMs on social media. It is bizarre.
KHD

Post by KHD »

Thanks Isha and K. What a dumb fookwit whoever wrote that. But the world full if fookwits and increasing daily.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Sorry Isha, I'm still a bit of a thicko and not joining the dots, even after you've explained.....
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Ah sure look, maybe it is a female thing. "In their DMs" or "sliding into her DMs" is a fairly well known phrase or shorthand meme that indicates losers and simps who send unwanted mail to women on Twitter. So it's a trope , people know what the suggestion is, ie the person could not get further. But Tampax is saying "we" are "in them". That is, we are in their vaginas, loser. "We" is an anthropomorphisation of the tampons - we got in them all the way, unlike you losers who only got to be in their DMs.

Sorry, I don't think I can explain it further. Maybe it requires knowing other tropes before it makes sense.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

The question left begging is who is the ‘you’ and how are they different from the you who is not the women using the product, the person writing the slogan.

I guess it’s a lot like how that Gillette ad was offensive by talking down to their customers.
KHD

Post by KHD »

Anyone else lost ?
download.jpg
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I'm afraid I'm with you on this KHD.

Sorry Isha, still not seeing it but taking your word that it's a worthy entry for WTF.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

knownunknown wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:33 pm The question left begging is who is the ‘you’ and how are they different from the you who is not the women using the product, the person writing the slogan.

I guess it’s a lot like how that Gillette ad was offensive by talking down to their customers.
The "you" are the loser guys in the DMs.
The "we" are the winners "in them". Like up inside them.
The winners are the tampons on the face of it, but the whole scenario has been framed explicitly as a humanised sexual competition because of the first"YOU", therefore the tampons (WE) are actually winning guys.

The "in them" actually also is framed to apply to the types of desirable females who would be getting the DMs. Think of "in them" as it relates to 9 year old girls starting their menses, or 60 year old women in the last rounds of their menses before menopause. The writer didn't really mean "in them", they meant in the hot unobtainable women, because the children and older ladies would not be getting the DMs.

But the writer has sexualised the whole thing even for the young girls of 9 or 10 by writing what they did.
It's just fcuking weird.

I dunno. It's clear as day to me. But whatever 😏
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

Totally agree with you Isha - clear to me too. I heard other commentators describing it as having 'rapey' vibe 😬

They've juxtaposed a purely health based necessity for females with a completely sexual reference. They've employed a popular phrasing that younger folks use when describing attempts to initiate sexual contact. It's completely inappropriate - I showed my missus and she turned green - literally could not believe they tweeted this! Please tell me they've taken it down?!
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Nope, still there, 320+ thousand likes, applauded by many, including women, causing dismay and shock to others. Always, another brand, joined in to congratulate them - for how long, their social media person wondered, were they saving that great tweet.
Anyway. It ranks up there for me with stupid, reductive pussy hats being cheered on by masses of grinning idiots. Meh. What do I know? Leave them to their asylum.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

isha wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:39 am Nope, still there, 320+ thousand likes, applauded by many, including women, causing dismay and shock to others. Always, another brand, joined in to congratulate them - for how long, their social media person wondered, were they saving that great tweet.
Anyway. It ranks up there for me with stupid, reductive pussy hats being cheered on by masses of grinning idiots. Meh. What do I know? Leave them to their asylum.
Like with the Gillette ad it pissed off it’s customers but they’ll be patting themselves on the back because of the shitstorm it created. No publicity is bad and all that.

Edit: Both Gillette and Tampax are Proctor and Gamble.
Last edited by knownunknown on Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Well Isha, the penny dropped and I now see what you are saying. How can someone for a large company pit something like that out on an official company account!
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

KHD wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:34 pm Anyone else lost ?
I'm still at the stage where DMs refer to a kind of footwear ... :?
KHD

Post by KHD »

CelticRambler wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:53 pm I'm still at the stage where DMs refer to a kind of footwear ... :?
I was only messing with Isha yesterday but it did take two posts from her to understand it :mrgreen:
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Right, so all that time I got myself in knots trying to convey how in them meant IN them was time I wasted. 🙄
KHD

Post by KHD »

isha wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:10 pm Right, so all that time I got myself in knots trying to convey how in them meant IN them was time I wasted. 🙄
Nope your posts are never wasted, every time I read a post from your good self I learn something new. Your one of the most valuable people on this site in my humble opinion. ;)
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

KHD wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:17 pm Nope your posts are never wasted, every time I read a post from your good self I learn something new. Your one of the most valuable people on this site in my humble opinion. ;)
Ah yeah yeah yeah whatever
But since I'm a Leo, flattery always works with me. 😊