Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Re: WTF moment of the day

The burning issues of the day
knownunknown

Re: Re: WTF moment of the day

Post by knownunknown »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:07 pm I wonder is that a parody account I posted there. I cannot make out if it is or not. 😵 Time to hit the hay for me I think.

I'm hoping to have a WTF free day tomorrow.:D

Night folks.
I don’t think so, they’re just Swedish.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Chinese state affiliated media praising Biden for anti capitalist message. We’re fucked.

knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Kind of continues from the last “wtf moment” but apparently the us oil reserves are the lowest in decades because Biden has been depleting the supply by sending oil abroad. Apparently he did this to stop the price of oil rising.

https://nypost.com/2022/07/06/joe-biden ... es-report/
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Sepp Blatter and michel platini cleared of corruption charges! 😂
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

knownunknown wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:10 pm Sepp Blatter and michel platini cleared of corruption charges! 😂
Oh what a shock!

NOT!
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Japan will begin locking people up for online insults. The country’s penal code defines insults as an effort to demean someone without referencing specific facts about them.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:32 pm Tayto has lost the plot.

20220708_213044.jpg
I'm feeling sick just thinking about it!
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

It's early for a WTF. But the "You Got This" at the end is very uplifting. 🙄

New York City made this Public Service Announcement.

Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Usually I send weird things to my kids on the family chat to amuse them, but there is too much sadness lurking beneath the ludicrous buffoonery of that advert for me to show it to them. Imagine the fecken eegit script writer -"Stay tuned.... You got this." 😑
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Watching Euros and after the England women won 8-0 the BBC had a serious moment, orchestral stirrings the lot about "how awful it was that the team and the subs were white".

So fecking what ? Are we to have race quotas now ? Fine tbh - then match them to the population breakdown and we can stop having every single couple in adverts being a smug mixed race pair, almost universally a black man and a white woman.

I'm just shocked the virtual signalling twats never kicked off about there being no trans-identifying men on the team. Report on the football ffs.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:32 am https://www.rte.ie/news/health/2022/071 ... d-funding/

Maybe it's the way to go since the state seems to be incapable of building a hospital on time and on budget in this country.

Outsource the HSE ? Might be the answer. 😀
Outsourcing is fine so long as it's not for profit. Once a profit motive is introduced you quickly descend into a US model. The profit model is deeply inefficient and only favours the rich. Average US life expectancy is one of the lowest in the developed world. Of course the rich enjoy European levels of life expectancy, but everyone else suffers. Almost 50% of the US population doesn't have health insurance.

Also, while we're very good at self criticism, we spend less than Finland, Sweden, Germany and the Netherlands but enjoy similar or better life expectancy...

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/life ... SA~GRC~AUT+
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:32 pm Tayto has lost the plot.

20220708_213044.jpg
Oh that is all manner of wrong!!!!!!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Pharmacy workers lost their case with wrc. They complained that they lost out on bonus payments due to being sanctioned for not wearing masks. I wonder how much that was. Apparently it was for half hour and one further incident of 8 minutes. Insane.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/p ... 43559.html
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

👀👀

Wikipedia tells me "Mykhailo Albertovych Fedorov is a Ukrainian politician, and businessman currently serving as Vice Prime Minister of Ukraine and Minister of Digital Transformation since 2019."
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

+100 the whole thing is a bad joke only it's so serious. It's not so long ago that all these people that the West are taking in were citizens of a country armed to teeth with Nukes pointed at us.....but they are good Europeans ....righty. Meanwhile the West engage with a proxy war with Russia.
'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:10 amThe EU are an absolute disgrace letting this conflict go on. The media should be grilling the political representatives as to what the fck they are doing to get this war stopped and a political settlement worked on. And that includes our own useless political muppets.
Ah hang on a second there, NC. The leader of a non-EU country decides to stomp all over another non-EU country and finds it harder going than his yes-men led him to believe. How exactly is the EU supposed to stop it? And whose media are you expecting to grill which political representatives? Its no more of a disgrace for the EU than it is for the East African Community.

Remember that, while it's a moral nonsense, this is "a special military operation" according to the guy who started it, not a war. A war almost always starts with a "do this or else" declaration, and leaves the underdog with the option of doing the "this". Putin has made it very clear that there is only one "this" that he wants: the complete obliteration of Ukraine, its people and its culture from the world, as a prelude to invading several other non-EU member states.

What specific, practical measures do you think the EU could apply - above and beyond what's already been done - that would persuade Putin to drop his dreams of empire?
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

He's off in Iran at the moment for a war council with those peace loving Iranian Mullahs and that other despot Erdoğan - god be with the days when leaders that left their countries were deposed in their absence.
'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:37 pm There needs to be a coming together of the EU, the US and Russia in which a proper political solution is hammered out including a cessation of hostilities and provocations.
Grand so. Give Putin the whole of Ukraine, and Montenegro. That's what he said he wants before he sits down to discuss a longer-term solution that'll include also re-instating soviet rule over places like Serbia and Albania. All the way to the Adriatic coast are his exact words.

There is absolutely no point in blaming the EU and/or the US and/or any other political bloc for not finding a solution when the person causing the problems has made it abundantly clear that there's only one thing that'll make him stop, and that's giving him everything he wants.

Clare Daly is one of your MEPs, isn't she? Have you told her that the EU should be encouraging Ukraine to opt for complete surrender?
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I can't understand how people saying Russia MUST be militarily defeated can reconcile their positions.

On the one hand they have Putin as the psychotic mad man, possibly dying so why not meet his maker in a conflagration, but definitely hellbent on subduing all of Ukraine, going on after that marauding the lands to the Adriatic or wherever, in a sort of messianic Third Rome Eurasian conquest of destiny.

And on the other hand they are sure of the same psychotic Putin being duly routed and defeated in time and heading back to the heartland with his tail between his legs, forever sorry he was so naughty, all because of their piles of (slightly near their best before date) armaments being endlessly shipped into Ukraine and being used in the Ukraine-based proxy war of attrition that is reducing the place (and only that place) to rubble.

How exactly does the mad devil-bear with his delusions of world domination get defeated with this enactment of localised ruination? What exactly happens to make Putin come out with his hands up and say All right, all right, fair cop, you lot got me??
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

The US have won the lotto as regards the biggest payday their MIC has in decades. And as long as they keep poking the bear, their income stream will continue to increase exponentially. Decades of wars, and proxy wars will tell us that the last thing that the US cares about is civilian casualties and human suffering. As far as they are concerned their wars have collateral damage, everyone elses casualties are war crimes.

The current Ukraine crisis is a clear indication that there is not one politician involved thats worth his salt. G&, G20 and Davros meetings are clearly more interested in discussing their ever increasing wealth, and blaming the people of the planet for climate change and global warming. I dont remember voting to supply up to 20% of Irelands electricity to keep my personal data in unmanned data storage centres. And i have never ever heard of any blame on the millions of tons of munitions exploded on this planet having any negative effect . Amazing.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:15 am Where there's a will there's a way. But there is no will so far on anyones part to row back from continuing escalatary tactics which are ultimately pointless other than hurting countries economically and causing potential upheaval and destabilisation of the EU project.
The only one escalating anything is Putin. He started it back in the early 2010s (probably before) and has continued ever since. Trump's election was a triumph of Russian meddling in western affairs, Brexit was a triumph of Russian meddling in western affairs, and most of what you've written in the post above is the Russian spin on history, which has been successfully tweeted and redistributed across social media by people who have bones to pick with various local agencies. It's everyone's fault but Putin's.

Only it's not. You don't have to go looking for conspiracy theories or hidden agendas: Putin has said it on the record and to everyone who'll listen that he wants to recreate the Soviet Union, and unless the peacemakers are offering him that, then Macron can feck off, and Scholz can feck off, and Biden can feck off, and even Erdogan can feck off if he's not going to let the ships of stolen grain out of the Black Sea.

The sad reality of real life is that sometimes, when you're faced with a rampant infection, the only solution is to let it wreak havoc on a localised area, keep it contained until you can figure out how to deal with it in a permanent way ... and that may involve amputation of a body part, or even sacrificing part of the herd.

I do find it somewhat bizarre to hear people with a good working knowledge of Ireland and Irish history to say "this can't go on, someone should do something". We may not have suffered the same level of death and destruction as is currently being inflicted on the Donbass region, but would the "right" solution to the 1916 troubles have been for everyone in Ireland to put up, shut up, and let Britain continue to govern and exploit us in any way the fancied?
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

CelticRambler wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:45 am

The sad reality of real life is that sometimes, when you're faced with a rampant infection, the only solution is to let it wreak havoc on a localised area, keep it contained until you can figure out how to deal with it in a permanent way ... and that may involve amputation of a body part, or even sacrificing part of the herd.

For what it is worth I think Putin is an evil, dangerous man driven by metaphysical impulses us materialists further west can hardly comprehend, but Im interested to know what actual form this amputation and herd sacrifice you speak of looks like? In step by step simple terms of concrete reality unfolding.

To be fair I will tell you that my view of how reality should unfold step by step is - stop the war, even by appeasement, by NATO pulling back, by giving Russia some of the territory that has majority Russian inhabitants, and enter a serious, committed peace settlement process for however long it takes, hoping that Putin will be gone at some future point. And the reason I think this is because one, what is already happening is dreadful and two, I do believe this jingoistic banging on the war drums could bring us all to nuclear annihilation.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I remember since the days of the cold war, yes I confess to being that old. The west agreed not to expand nato further eastwards, and in return missiles were not placed anywhere near the US.
But the west persued their ambitions eastwards even stronger.

As for the russophobian beliefs that russia is responsible for brexit, ukraine, and trumps election and a shitload of other thingsi s laughable. If they had that sort of influence Putin would be sitting in the oval room.

They are all despicable to some degree. None being better than the other.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Anybody who thinks Brexit was Russian influenced doesn't understand the English psyche - I am and I do - it's our innate distrust of Johnny Foreigner. Ironic give our imperial past but there it is. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I'd say there was a fair number of people who voted for Brexit who, like myself, were/are just fed up to the gills with the autocratic over-reaching of unelected federalists like Hairdo von der Leyen and such like. But anyway.