Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Re: WTF moment of the day

The burning issues of the day
knownunknown

Re: Re: WTF moment of the day

Post by knownunknown »

Cyclepath wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:03 pm I'm not sure I'd totally agree with you here. When you're tasked with raising the funds necessary to run the country, there should be a justification of any proposed raise in taxation rate. I think it's a sensible enough metric to recommend that we place the most taxation on the most socially/economically harmful items. Fags and booze cost us in health provision terms so they're taxed to within in inch of their lives. Diesel particulates area a known polluter of the atmosphere and we definitely should discourage usage.

However the problem occurs when a commodity is essential to a persons important work. Farmers don't need fags/booze to run a tractor/combine but they very much need diesel. I just can't see why it's so damn difficult to set up a sensible tax exclusion for the fuels that are used to create value in the economy. They can then run rampant and scalp the folks that run diesel SUVs around town, or tax the hole off the stupid cruise ships that pollute every port they dock at.
That’s a good point, if something were harmful to economic activity I can understand, it could be argued that co2 and emissions in the long term are harmful to economic activity.

Energy prices are already on the rise, inflation is soaring and even more taxation would definitely cause real harm to people. If our farmers don’t produce the food because costs are too high it’ll just be produced somewhere cheaper in the world and flown in, surely this won’t be of any tangible benefit to the world in terms of emissions. It’s not as simple as reduce our emissions therefore reduce world emissions. The government knows this and that surely one of the reasons that they didn’t ban booze/fags, whoever wants to would just end up buying them somewhere else or create a black market for it.

I fear this type of report is too narrowly focused to take this into account, and a brief look at the available minutes for the meetings confirms this. ‘Moving to a low carbon economy’ doesn’t take into account that if we don’t produce food we need to fly or ship it in. They use words like equity and all come from university backgrounds. Ideologues more interested in saving the world then the upcoming winter.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I suppose this is a bit wtf. A Russian submarine seen off Co Donegal

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/fat ... 52614.html
Russian Submarine.jpg
Russian Submarine.jpg (56.23 KiB) Viewed 1863 times
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Maybe it is a Photoshop
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

The mise-en-scene of 21st century American presidency speechifying. 👀
20220902_070204.jpg
20220902_070204.jpg (72.63 KiB) Viewed 1855 times
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

isha wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:05 am The mise-en-scene of 21st century American presidency speechifying. 👀
His “basket of deplorables” moment. Probably the most divisive president in history, not enough trump said things as bad as that.

“ We, the people, have burning inside of each of us the flame of liberty that was lit here at Independence Hall. A flame that lit our way through abolition, the Civil War, suffrage, the Great Depression, world wars, civil rights. That sacred flame still burns. Now on our time as we build an America that is more prosperous, free, and just. That is the work of my presidency, a mission I believe in with my whole soul.

Too much of what’s happening in our country today is not normal. Donald Trump and the MAGA Republicans represent an extremism that threatens the very foundations of our Republic.

Now, I want to be very clear, very clear up front. Not every Republican, not even the majority of Republicans, are MAGA Republicans. Not every Republican embraces their extreme ideology. I know, because I’ve been able to work with these mainstream Republicans.

But there’s no question that the Republican Party today is dominated, driven and intimidated by Donald Trump and the MAGA Republicans. And that is a threat to this country.”
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Sam Harris must be his speech writer 🙄
Everywhere one looks is idiocracy.
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

I must admit, I just see the idiocracy on both sides of the divide. The issue for me is extremism both in Democrats and in Republicans. For every Trump worshipping, gun-toting asshole, there's a censorious woke narcissist to balance the numbers.

The polarisation of American politics and life in general is very worrying. Nobody ever convinced the other side to change their minds by demonising them and calling them stupid. 😬
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Yes, I see the stupidity of both tribes. The Republican side have a lot of weirdness, so have the Democrats, but they think they are normal, which is extra weird. I would absolutely hate to have to be voting in America. Look at this stuff from the right side of history. It's unbelievable. The media portray the right as mad, which they sometimes are, but the left get an easier ride from mainstream media.

Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

isha wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:31 am Yes, I see the stupidity of both tribes. The Republican side have a lot of weirdness, so have the Democrats, but they think they are normal, which is extra weird. I would absolutely hate to have to be voting in America. Look at this stuff from the right side of history. It's unbelievable. The media portray the right as mad, which they sometimes are, but the left get an easier ride from mainstream media.

This is genuinely terrifying. It's blatant social engineering without any scientific/researched justification to back it up. As a 'board certified plastic surgeon' it's like having a fox minding the chickens.

These are the same 'board certified' surgeons that already insert toxic bags of silicon into people's bodies, cut off perfectly healthy labia, perform circumcisions for aesthetic reasons and so on.

They are the last people we should be listening to. This asshole stands to make at least 20K for each victim that he botches.
quodec

Post by quodec »

Very lucky Argentinian vice-president surviving an assassination attempt. It looks as if the would-be assassin's gun failed to go off!!!

isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Okay, silly WTF, but I am still mildly surprised at this since morning. What it means in terms of mass possession..
Timothy Chamalet is a skinny, fey, apparently good actor, more power to the wee fella. And he is in a film called Bones and All which was shown at the Venice film festival. The headline says it's a movie about a sexy bisexual cannibal. Okay.
But it got a standing ovation of eight and a half minutes. I mean, WTF. Even after watching the most magnificent movie ever created in the universe I would not be able to stand and clap or ovate for even a fraction of that length of time. What has driven people into such excesses of emoting? There's something fall of civilisation about it. Anyway. Read all about it.

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/bone ... 37951/amp/
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

isha wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:41 pm Okay, silly WTF, but I am still mildly surprised at this since morning. What it means in terms of mass possession..
Timothy Chamalet is a skinny, fey, apparently good actor, more power to the wee fella. And he is in a film called Bones and All which was shown at the Venice film festival. The headline says it's a movie about a sexy bisexual cannibal. Okay.
But it got a standing ovation of eight and a half minutes. I mean, WTF. Even after watching the most magnificent movie ever created in the universe I would not be able to stand and clap or ovate for even a fraction of that length of time. What has driven people into such excesses of emoting? There's something fall of civilisation about it. Anyway. Read all about it.

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/bone ... 37951/amp/
The popularity of 50 shades and twilight is the same kind of thing, no? Maybe a large female audience :P
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Fair point and I fancy the arse off Jamie Dornan but absolutely no chance am off my arse clapping for him for 8 minutes!!!?

That Chalomet sort is a right state !!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

knownunknown wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:08 pm The popularity of 50 shades and twilight is the same kind of thing, no? Maybe a large female audience :P
Eight and a half minutes though? It's a lot of clapping.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

The only thing I can think is they're all on strong uppers.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Heard this utter nonsense mentioned on Woketalk this morning and felt compelled to investigate: https://www.irishmirror.ie/tv/peppa-pig ... e-27926220

and this from the comments sums up my feelings exactly: "Ffs leave our f*****g kids alone."

'no more blah blah blah'
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Del.Monte wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:33 am Heard this utter nonsense mentioned on Woketalk this morning and felt compelled to investigate: https://www.irishmirror.ie/tv/peppa-pig ... e-27926220

and this from the comments sums up my feelings exactly: "Ffs leave our f*****g kids alone."

Just read that and rolled my eyes so hard I may have strained something.

I absolutely support same sex couples raising children - but this is a cartoon and some things shouldn't be forced on toddlers.

Tbh the one that made me cringe this morning was Eddie Izzard whinging that he "can't find love" - possibly because you're a straight man looking for a woman - and i hate to break it to you mate but the list of women that fancy a bloke in a dress is not that long.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

Post by 95438756 »

The Chinese authorities in Hong Kong don't have much sense of humour
BBC News - Hong Kong judge finds five guilty over children's books
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-62821043
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

gugleguy wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:50 pm The Chinese authorities in Hong Kong don't have much sense of humour
BBC News - Hong Kong judge finds five guilty over children's books
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-62821043
These guys are terrified that anybody might think for themselves, that's where dangerous dissidents come from. China is like what the USSR used to be like and Putin wants to go back to. Total state control over every aspect of the people's lives from cradle to grave.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Big scandal in the chess world. Hans Niemann(US) defeated world champion Carlsen as black and the next day Carlsen withdrew from the tournament with a cryptic tweet. The content that follows is hilarious(if you like dry sarcasm), it shows a delusional person who thinks they’re smarter then everyone else trying to con them. Nothing explicit…

Post by 95438756 »

So if you're really KOSHER you must now LEAVE!
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

gugleguy wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:08 pm So if you're really KOSHER you must now LEAVE!
Ireland has an open door policy, so we will probably take them in. We could do with a few oligarchs with spare rubles.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Had my first WTF moment before I did the early morning shopping run. Newstalk - where else - somebody emailed the breakfast show claiming to be on €100k pa but couldn't afford to take a holiday. Too early to be a troll so either a Walter Mitty character or somebody who needs to contact https://mabs.ie/
'no more blah blah blah'
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Fat chance of any holiers for a pensioner so... I must just cut the grass and get a look at a different scenery so., and call it me hollybobs.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I'm on holiday for a week at the end of October and only going cos it's an event that I initially booked in 2019 and it was cancelled twice due to Covid.

I'm going come hell or high fecking water this year!!