Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Fire safety nightmare.

The burning issues of the day
kadman
Verified Username

Fire safety nightmare.

Post by kadman »

Like I referred to in another post, another construction nightmare , that expects the home owner to pick up the bill, while the crooks get off scott free.

In the US these bastards would be going to jail.

https://www.rte.ie/news/investigations- ... ire-safety nightmare.
Hairy-Joe

Re: Fire safety nightmare.

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I know it's terrible but I'm a firm believer in that the state should NOT be picking up the tab for every poorly built house or apartment. The country would go broke in a heartbeat. However, there should be a LOT more punishment of the builders personally and not their companies. Yes, prison should be used for the dodgy builders.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:37 pm I know it's terrible but I'm a firm believer in that the state should NOT be picking up the tab for every poorly built house or apartment. The country would go broke in a heartbeat. However, there should be a LOT more punishment of the builders personally and not their companies. Yes, prison should be used for the dodgy builders.
State has to pick itt up, because they are negligent in regulation enforcement. It might interest folk to know that dodgy builders have a statute of limitations on being prosecuted for dodgy work, and its 6 years. How are people supposed to inspect within the walls of an apartment block, when the fire cert was signed off on as the intent to build to these specs. Its the duty of the government to make sure regulations are enforced.
Mirabeau

Post by Mirabeau »

I work in Building Services etc.
I still find evidence of cowboy contractors years after construction. Trying to track down contractors is like FBI work.
It's a rotten industry.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Why are problems from lax regulation enforcement the states responsibility to pick up the tab. The regulations are there, it's the builders that should be responsible, not the state.

The state made the regulations. Failure to follow them is the builder problem.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

An example, there has been house fires from dodgy phone chargers. The chargers didn't comply with regulations. Should the state pick up the bill as they didn't check the charger?

I know it's a small thing but it's the same principal.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:52 pm Why are problems from lax regulation enforcement the states responsibility to pick up the tab. The regulations are there, it's the builders that should be responsible, not the state.

The state made the regulations. Failure to follow them is the builder problem.
The lack of proper enforcement is down to the state who make the regulations. We have a long history of self enforcement and certification, thats what has us where we are. The criminals getting away with poor quality work. No enforcement and no inspections has us where we are.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:54 pm An example, there has been house fires from dodgy phone chargers. The chargers didn't comply with regulations. Should the state pick up the bill as they didn't check the charger?

I know it's a small thing but it's the same principal.
Its not the same thing. Electrical phone chargers have nothing to do with proper building work done in accordance with regulations.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Mirabeau wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:50 pm I work in Building Services etc.
I still find evidence of cowboy contractors years after construction. Trying to track down contractors is like FBI work.
It's a rotten industry.
The statute of limtations for dodgy building work is only 6 years, which does not give you enough time to find them.
Mirabeau

Post by Mirabeau »

kadman wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:11 pm The statute of limtations for dodgy building work is only 6 years, which does not give you enough time to find them.
They all know each other too.
At work I had a contractor in fix plumbing in one of our sites.
Turned out he used to work for the company that did the work originally.
Very long story short, it was a case of companies within companies with the same lads involved doing very fast and very bad quality work.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Mirabeau wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:22 am They all know each other too.
At work I had a contractor in fix plumbing in one of our sites.
Turned out he used to work for the company that did the work originally.
Very long story short, it was a case of companies within companies with the same lads involved doing very fast and very bad quality work.
And to compound the original bad building problems Eammon Ryan proposes to give builders low interest loans to encourage them to build houses.
Same old crooks doing the same old bad work as in the celtic tiger period, but worse. And not a mention of overhauling the existing non working building regs enforcement.

I worked for many companies over the last 40 years in construction, from hands on joinery, up to cad design and build for modular steel and concrete builds. Some of the stuff I've witnessed, and been asked to do, which I refused. Ended in termination for not following instructions from high up the food chain. And nothing will change, the crooks will keep building, and the generations of today will pick up the tab tomorrow and into the future. Makes me so mad. :evil: :evil:
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I was thinking (and knowing me, I'm probably wrong). I was thinking about the calls from politicians to build more and more houses. As we have a relatively flat number of builders, carpenters, masons etc, they can only build so many houses properly a year. If more houses are to be built, that means they have to be built quicker. One major way of building quicker is to take shirt-cuts.

So, would I be saying trying to push more and more houses out would mean more problems with the buildings in years to come?

I'm also thinking of the "celtic tiger" houses that are full of problems.......