Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Nuclear Fusion - free energy for the workd - we're saved!

The burning issues of the day
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Nuclear Fusion - free energy for the workd - we're saved!

Post by Del.Monte »

Researchers in the USA have announced a major breakthrough in nuclear fusion: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/nuclear- ... c69625fa4d but before you get too excited don't forget that in 1954, the Atomic Energy Commission chairman predicted that within 15 years nuclear power would make electricity “too cheap to meter.” Make what you will of it but I'm very far from convinced that anything will change.
'no more blah blah blah'
Norman Breaks

Re: Nuclear Fusion - free energy for the workd - we're saved!

Post by Norman Breaks »

Remember the graphene revolution? No? Me neither. I remember the hype, kinda fizzled out though.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Oh I think it'll be 30 to 40 years before it's commercial at the earliest.
KHD

Post by KHD »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:01 am Oh I think it'll be 30 to 40 years before it's commercial at the earliest.
I should be dead at that stage so I w9nt bother celebrating this breakthrough, I'll leave it to the next generation :mrgreen:
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I remember reading of a "breakthrough" on fusion years ago but it turned out that the measurements used were wrong. I'm hoping this isn't the same as the cold fusion affair...
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:57 am I remember reading of a "breakthrough" on fusion years ago but it turned out that the measurements used were wrong. I'm hoping this isn't the same as the cold fusion affair...
Apparently this ‘major breakthrough’ was a long time coming, in a series of incremental steps. It’s just the first time ever the energy out exceeded the energy in. Still a long way off from being commercially feasible. Media go bananas with their headlines as usual.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

knownunknown wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:57 am Apparently this ‘major breakthrough’ was a long time coming, in a series of incremental steps. It’s just the first time ever the energy out exceeded the energy in. Still a long way off from being commercially feasible. Media go bananas with their headlines as usual.
Putting my scientist hat on, the science is now done. It's an engineering problem now to build the machine :D
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Well, now, hot on the heels of the previously linked article, and with due regard to Hairy-Joe's scientist/engineer's hat (helmet, surely?), here's something newer and shinier:

From a theoretical point of view, I find these experiments "interesting" but would not be counting on any of them to keep my life-support machine running. From a more practical point of view, particularly in the sense of tax-payer practicalities, I'm beginning to have significant doubts regarding the future viability of the massive ITER plant referred to in this and other videos. I've driven past it several times, and have benefited from the associated "trickle-down economics" when working in the area, but for that very reason, if it's rendered obsolete before ever fuses a single pair of atoms, it'll make the National Children's Hospital look like an exercise in financial prudence. :?
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

CelticRambler wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:46 pmI'm beginning to have significant doubts regarding the future viability of the massive ITER plant referred to in this and other videos.
Doubts that are only re-inforced by the latest news - someone fecked up Big Time and delivered three critical structural elements with a 2cm gap between them where there shouldn't have been even 2mm. :roll: It's mildly comforting to know that I'm not the only one who sometimes struggles with precision measurements on a macro project. :mrgreen:

And they've found traces of corrosion on the (also critical) heat shields. So the start date - already pushed back by five years - will now be later again.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

CelticRambler wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:49 pm Doubts that are only re-inforced by the latest news - someone fecked up Big Time and delivered three critical structural elements with a 2cm gap between them where there shouldn't have been even 2mm. :roll: It's mildly comforting to know that I'm not the only one who sometimes struggles with precision measurements on a macro project. :mrgreen:

And they've found traces of corrosion on the (also critical) heat shields. So the start date - already pushed back by five years - will now be later again.
I wonder if these people are fans of "The Big Bang Theory" because these events are almost word for word from an episode of that.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

marhay70 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:54 am I wonder if these people are fans of "The Big Bang Theory" because these events are almost word for word from an episode of that.
They need Sheldon on board methinks ;)
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

They should have used MDF. You put small amounts of energy in....and get shitloads of dust out. Job done :mrgreen:
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

CelticRambler wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:46 pm
and with due regard to Hairy-Joe's scientist/engineer's hat (helmet, surely?), here's something newer and shinier:
The only reason I can comment is I started off as an engineer. But I found the scientists were having too much fun with chemicals that had lovely colours and funny smells. Hence my movement to that side.....
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

kadman wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:38 pm They should have used MDF. You put small amounts of energy in....and get shitloads of dust out. Job done :mrgreen:

MDF should be banned. Lethal stuff, only to be used outdoors in force 8 gale or higher.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

marhay70 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:51 pm MDF should be banned. Lethal stuff, only to be used outdoors in force 8 gale or higher.
Sure if that happened what would the new age "cabinet makers" coming out of Letterfrack use for furniture making.
Solid timber construction methods would be alien technology to them.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:07 pm Putting my scientist hat on, the science is now done. It's an engineering problem now to build the machine :D
Just watched a video that explains it well, the gain was 1.5x in the energy out over the energy that actually hit the crystal. If they counted how much energy was needed to run the lasers then the gain reduces to less than a percent or < 0.01x.

It’s the first segment, starts about 1 minute.