Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

eat insects - it's the future!

The burning issues of the day
mmercedes84

eat insects - it's the future!

Post by mmercedes84 »

Attachments
IMG_20221231_153759_317.jpg
IMG_20221231_153759_317.jpg (104.44 KiB) Viewed 977 times
Mirabeau

Re: eat insects - it's the future!

Post by Mirabeau »

I'd like to read an actual scientific report on this rather that take Teagascs word for it.
They are an advisory quango who are always fighting with their own advisors.
mmercedes84

Post by mmercedes84 »

Bill Gates probably has a report handy...
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Animals can still eat the stuff we can’t so there will always be animals that are eaten, just by the select, rich, few. They want us plebs eating insects to offset the carbon emissions for their jets.
mmercedes84

Post by mmercedes84 »

Ah some worms for dinner instead of a burger , I can see it catching on.

Christmas dinner - caterpillar and hornets
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

One thing,nothing to declare oz,has taught me,is that many Asian ,regard these as a delicacy
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
mmercedes84

Post by mmercedes84 »

Setanta wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:12 pm One thing,nothing to declare oz,has taught me,is that many Asian ,regard these as a delicacy
Ya they also eat bats - that turned out well ...
They can keep their delicacies , I'll stick to a nice steak thanks and these nutters who are trying to normalize this like Teagasc can eat all the dung beetles these want !
KHD

Post by KHD »

mmercedes84 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:41 pm Ya they also eat bats - that turned out well ...
They can keep their delicacies , I'll stick to a nice steak thanks and these nutters who are trying to normalize this like Teagasc can eat all the dung beetles these want !
I read somewhere that last year's Cop climate summit there was wagyu beef on the menu for some of the delegates, I didn't see any insect burgers on it. That and all the private jets flying in should give you an indication that this is all about money, new ways to invest money and that it has nothing to do "saving the planet". You don't see any of these fookers pumping money into cleaning up cleaning up rivers or providing money to mitigate current industrial pollution in developing countries as there is probably fook all money to be made out of it for their billionaire philanthropist money making overlords.

Absolute joke Teagasc coming out with this in a country like Ireland but everyone's wants to be seen to be best in class for these green snake oil business people.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

I recently listened to a report that said the world's insect populations are in serious decline, some to the point of extinction and this is very obvious in our Irish summers when we were once plagued by swarms of flies, had our wardrobes ravaged by moths, and spent September days swatting away murderous wasps. These things don't happen anymore, indeed the only insects that seem to be increasing in number are ants.
Given that all insects are part of the food chain, then it stands to reason that the predators of the aforementioned would also be in decline etc. etc. etc so where are we going to get these insects to eat? It would make sense to ban the use of pesticides and allow insects to recover before we engage in wholesale slaughter of what's left but whether that would suit the agenda of big agribusiness is not clear, so I think we'll be eating pork chops for a while yet.
KHD

Post by KHD »

marhay70 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:48 am I recently listened to a report that said the world's insect populations are in serious decline, some to the point of extinction and this is very obvious in our Irish summers when we were once plagued by swarms of flies, had our wardrobes ravaged by moths, and spent September days swatting away murderous wasps. These things don't happen anymore, indeed the only insects that seem to be increasing in number are ants.
Given that all insects are part of the food chain, then it stands to reason that the predators of the aforementioned would also be in decline etc. etc. etc so where are we going to get these insects to eat? It would make sense to ban the use of pesticides and allow insects to recover before we engage in wholesale slaughter of what's left but whether that would suit the agenda of big agribusiness is not clear, so I think we'll be eating pork chops for a while yet.
Insect populations are localised, so if there is a lack of insects in your area you need to look around to the causes of it, whether it's big agribusiness or the fact that people like boring sterile gardens out the front and back of their houses its the same thing, lack of native plant species individual insect species need to eat and survive on. Reducing insecticides won't solve the problem in my view, we had more dangerous systemic insecticides 40 years ago and less precision in their application to what we have now. If farmers can get away without having to apply them they would as it is a huge cost input when applying to crops.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

KHD wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:13 pm Insect populations are localised, so if there is a lack of insects in your area you need to look around to the causes of it, whether it's big agribusiness or the fact that people like boring sterile gardens out the front and back of their houses its the same thing, lack of native plant species individual insect species need to eat and survive on. Reducing insecticides won't solve the problem in my view, we had more dangerous systemic insecticides 40 years ago and less precision in their application to what we have now. If farmers can get away without having to apply them they would as it is a huge cost input when applying to crops.
Where I live is largely rural, with quite a lot of cereal, rape, potatoes, interspersed with dairy and beef. There is enough cow crap around, I'd imagine, for flies at least, to be present in large numbers but that isn't the case, so I assume it's offset by the number of pesticides used on the cereal and potato crops. We also planted large swathes of our estate with wildflower meadows to encourage bees, wasps, and other insect life. I myself, have a lot of insect friendly plants in my garden, two Insect hotels, and leave rotting wood in place to encourage soil dwellers and while insects do visit, particularly bees, which I'm happy about, the numbers are not what I'd expect.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Anecdotally, as somebody who detests house flies, blue bottles etc. and who kills any of them dopey enough to get into the house - they have virtually disappeared in the last couple of years. Worrying stuff for humans not to mention the other wildlife that depend on them.
'no more blah blah blah'
KHD

Post by KHD »

I'm not denying insect populations are going down, that's plain to see, but there are some issues I have with the validity of statements such as it is all down to farming practices, that if we loose the bees we end up going starving and also the reasons we dont see insects on the windscreen or bumper anymore. There are business interests and green ideologies that are using this for their own selfish reasons that has nothing to do with saving the insects from what I can see. If I have time, it's my turn to make the feckin dinner, I'll go into each of these and then let me know your thoughts. As with all this climate change / biodiversity news I see little practical solutions by all our government agencies other than pie in the sky policy documents which serve no purpose on a practical level other than using it as a way to say look at us,we are doing something to justify our annual state budget. EPA and An Taisce being cases in point.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Del.Monte wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:54 pm Anecdotally, as somebody who detests house flies, blue bottles etc. and who kills any of them dopey enough to get into the house - they have virtually disappeared in the last couple of years.
They're all here, with me, twice or three times as many as in previous years. I can send them back, if you're getting hungry; but I'd prefer to keep them to fatten up my lizards.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

CelticRambler wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:50 pm They're all here, with me, twice or three times as many as in previous years. I can send them back, if you're getting hungry; but I'd prefer to keep them to fatten up my lizards.
No, it's quite alright you enjoy them. Much as I like to think of myself as an environmentalist, if the last two wasps in the world came near me I would terminate them. Stung once in my pram and once when I was 40 and have killed every damn wasp unfortunate enough to cross my path since. And, yes, I know they eat aphids etc. I just don't care. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

I visited a cricket farm in Vietnam several years ago. I was a veggie and still am but when they brought out the silver platter of deep fried crickets with sweet and sour dip, I indulged.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Norman Breaks wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:22 pm I visited a cricket farm in Vietnam several years ago. I was a veggie and still am but when they brought out the silver platter of deep fried crickets with sweet and sour dip, I indulged.
Crickets are healthy eaters I should imagine but deep fried bluebottles even coated in chocolate ughhhhhhhhhhh.... :o
'no more blah blah blah'
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

One of the questions I asked was "What do you feed these crickets?"
Rice. The answer was rice.
KHD

Post by KHD »

Looks like Cricket Farming will now be a serious business in the EU of the future.

https://www.retaildetail.eu/news/food/e ... mealworms/
KHD

Post by KHD »

I can imagine myself in the local supermarket with me and the oulwans examining the ingredients and me saying "These ones dont have insects in them but they're fecking Marriettas".