Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Celtic tiger repairs.

The burning issues of the day
kadman
Verified Username

Celtic tiger repairs.

Post by kadman »

And the announcement today means "Mr Taxpayer" will have to pay. That means you. Not the guilty parties like, Engineers, Architects, Developers, Building Contractors, Or Insurance individuals, or any of the guilty party's involved. Makes my blood boil as an honest construction professional that held my craft in high regard for what I brought to it. And the depth of despair that some homeowners now face with substandard work delivered to them for their money. Its an outrageous construction system we have in place , that is going to get worse with the new demands for housing thats now required. :evil: :evil:
Government scheme to pay for repairs to defective Celtic Tiger era apartments
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: Celtic tiger repairs.

Post by Del.Monte »

Wait until you see the bill that will come in after the panic to build thousands of homes for Ukrainians and others - the pyrite fiasco will be like a tea party.
'no more blah blah blah'
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

How the feck is this going to be paid for?

Oh ya, the squeezed middle who have to buy and repair their own feckin' house.
Mirabeau

Post by Mirabeau »

Probably paying the same lads who built them to fix them.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

What I cant get is that generally, an engineer inspection is done before you buy. Why isn't these engineers liable as they didn't spot the issues?
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I was listening to Housing O'Brien on the news. Basically, it's a complete blank cheque!

Holy feck!
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Fundamentally, the same guys who were passing the brown envelopes around the Galway tent are now telling us we have to pay for their "shortcomings"
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:06 pm What I cant get is that generally, an engineer inspection is done before you buy. Why isn't these engineers liable as they didn't spot the issues?
Governments gotta pay as there is a possible deeper issue of non disclosure on mortgages, but thats a whole other thread.

Next time you get a banks survery for a house purchase, be sure and look at the surveys small print. In there you will find the words " survey limited to what is visual on the day of the survey", or similar.
Fabric wont be opened unless you request it and pay for it.

We need a radical rehaul of the construction self certification system. Plus the fact that any builder associated with any company or apartments associated with remedial work, should be banned from applying to refub these.
But wont happen.

Its a crooks paradise. Not to mention if the problems remain hidden for 6+ years then the statute runs out.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

kadman wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:36 pm Governments gotta pay as there is a possible deeper issue of non disclosure on mortgages, but thats a whole other thread.

Next time you get a banks survery for a house purchase, be sure and look at the surveys small print. In there you will find the words " survey limited to what is visual on the day of the survey", or similar.
Fabric wont be opened unless you request it and pay for it.

We need a radical rehaul of the construction self certification system. Plus the fact that any builder associated with any company or apartments associated with remedial work, should be banned from applying to refub these.
But wont happen.

Its a crooks paradise. Not to mention if the problems remain hidden for 6+ years then the statute runs out.
Do you remember the Homebond scheme, used to promote sales of new houses all over the country? Absolute scam, the house would need to be literally falling down before they'd even entertain you. Typical of the sort of warranty developers would give if they were given free rein again.
Until there is actually a return to physical inspection, by competent, impartial agents, then all the guarantees in the world wouldn't tempt me.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Forgot about Homebond. I don't hear that advertised any more......

Kadman, I'll defer to your greater knowledge but I fear that this is the start of a slippery slope where the government pays for every house. If it goes that way, we all will have to pay for our house through taxes, meaning we pay for the rebuild ourselves.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

marhay70 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:14 pm Do you remember the Homebond scheme, used to promote sales of new houses all over the country? Absolute scam, the house would need to be literally falling down before they'd even entertain you. Typical of the sort of warranty developers would give if they were given free rein again.
Until there is actually a return to physical inspection, by competent, impartial agents, then all the guarantees in the world wouldn't tempt me.
We are singing from the same hymn sheet. I called out the homebond scam many, many years ago on boards, and i ended up with a permanent ban for years from there. Which they denied.
The only way to stop these redress schemes is to build them right in the first place, and inspect them, and enforce them. Any deviation from that is a joke. It would be far cheaper to employ 1000 engineers, than pay any redress scheme. At least the government ensures that its built in accordance with specs. And if its not, then the builder goes to jail. We need to make someone responsible.
Making Joe public responsible is nothing short of criminal.
Homebond has a long nasty history in construction here.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:08 pm Forgot about Homebond. I don't hear that advertised any more......

Kadman, I'll defer to your greater knowledge but I fear that this is the start of a slippery slope where the government pays for every house. If it goes that way, we all will have to pay for our house through taxes, meaning we pay for the rebuild ourselves.
Totally agree, the taxpayer will be the scapegoat. The government announce that they (US) are paying for it. But not a mention about taking steps to deal with why the problem occurred in the first place. No mention at all of chasing down the real criminals in all of this.

Construction industry is rotten from the top down. The ordinary worker just follows instructions from his highly paid professional suit and tie.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Of course this probably means that we will be paying for the remedials on the huge tranche of apartments bought up by the hedge fund investors who get tax breaks to purchase them in the first place.

No wonder everybody is trying to get here. Another gravy train along with the retrofit train , and the remedial train pulling out from platform one. I am seriously thinking of breaking out the tools again, and back on the road. :)
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

The very first thing that should be done is to limit any financial support to only owner occupier first time buyers still residing in properties they purchased before this crap first came to light.

If you were active on the property ladder BS, should be tough sh**

And if it’s a property owned by a fund or corporation of any kind, tough sh**

The big problem is that everyone’s going to be a selfish prick and look to get their pound of flesh from this. Every homeowner affected will be fully in support of it in practice, even if they know on many levels it’s completely unjust.

People are as bad as politicians in this regard.

I sympathise, but taxpayers shouldn’t be forced to empathise via the decision of a temporary government, but this is the f’n banana republic of f*** the taxpayer after all.

Really makes my blood boil. Up sticks and move somewhere else younger folks. It won’t get any better. Not a chance.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

True, the construction industry refurbs, retrofits or whatever they call them is the result of non compliance with the building regs, non accountablity for the crooks that caused this and other fiasco's, and re employing the same crooks to do the work and oversee the ghost estates that were bought from them as a bailout, and then re employing the same to look after these projects.....................and then re sell them at cut prices back to the same developers.

I think the younger folks are a few steps ahead of you on the emigration train pulling out from all platforms.