Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Argos to leave Ireland

The burning issues of the day
Fratello
Verified Username

Argos to leave Ireland

Post by Fratello »

PogMoThoin22

Re: Argos to leave Ireland

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

It's been coming a while, Amazon will kill them all.

Post by 678904673 »

On one level I'm I'm sad about this. The Argos catalogue was a staple of my childhood. But I'm not overly surprised. Their business modal was very outdated and their website a nightmare.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Sorry for the staff but not from a retail point of view as these catalogue type operations suck the life out of towns. No proof or links, just my own experience and gut feeling about them. Funny how they say that their NI shops are trading well and will remain open.
'no more blah blah blah'
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I've never bought anything in Argos. I've walked past its store in Mahon Point several times where every other store in Mahon Point was busy and there was no-one in Argos.

It's being dying for a while. As others have said, its sales model has killed it. Internet shopping has changed the whole "ordering from a catalogue" model.
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

Councils are sucking the life out of towns with their high rates. Our high streets are becoming like England where all you have are charity shops (rate exempt) and bookies (can afford the rates), no other shops can survive!
archfi
Verified Username

Post by archfi »

That was the most obvious closure (for those that used it) in recent retail history!

Post by 95438756 »

Recall that Argos Ireland were VERY slow in getting in the full range of stuff compared to what was available in the UK when they came here first
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

gugleguy wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:44 pm Recall that Argos Ireland were VERY slow in getting in the full range of stuff compared to what was available in the UK when they came here first
Yeah they never rolled out an app here either. They could have bought another few years against Amazon if they offered shipping although it's impossible to compete with Amazon's same day delivery in big cities. They'll blame Brexit, when they failed to move with the times to ensure they stayed relevant.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Del.Monte wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:36 pm Sorry for the staff but not from a retail point of view as these catalogue type operations suck the life out of towns. No proof or links, just my own experience and gut feeling about them. Funny how they say that their NI shops are trading well and will remain open.
They moved their NI branches into the nearest Sainsbury's, where possible. No point in having a separate store when all you need is a counter and a couple of checkouts along with a few racks in the warehouse.
I predicted this months ago on Boards, the stores have been running down, no stock, no staff.
Wouldn't be surprised to see Homebase go next and maybe even B&Q. Brexit has fcucked them up along with the absence of decent websites.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Wasn't B&Q in trouble a while back?
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:32 pm Wasn't B&Q in trouble a while back?
Yep, a few years back they were in administration. Hard to keep stores like that going with the overheads and DIY seems to have lost its charm.
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

Sorry to see it go, used down the years and in UK when years back it was not in Ireland. But felt death knell when the catalogue went... and in past year nothing seemed to be in stock ... and unavailable elsewhere so frustrating. We miss Roches Stores !
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Now that's a name I've not heard in a while, Roches Stores. Yes could get anything in there. Heatons was similar enough until Sports Direct took over the stores. We are sorely lacking a "needle to anchor" department store.
Mirabeau

Post by Mirabeau »

I bought a lot of weights from Argos.
So thanks for the gainz brahz, may the gods of iron salute you.